Fantasy questions :)

swalton85

Hey everyone, dh and I are thinking about sailing the Fantasy in january. We would be driving from PA to SC. what time does embarkation usually start? We were thinking of leaving early the morning of the cruise and getting into Charleston around noon. Is this a good time to arrive? Too early, too soon? How much is parking at the port?

Also, we have never sailed on such a small/old ship. Is she in good shape? Fun? Decent food? Thanks in advance to anyone offering insight! :)

When we went in May, it was about 11:45 that we hit the line to park. $17/Day parking. The food was very good. We had a good time and I thought the ship was in good shape. We are in NJ, we chose to leave the day before for a 10.5-11 hr drive. We wanted to be wide awake for that first day on the ship. Plus there's lots of great places to have dinner and places to see in Charleston.

Didn't go on her out of SC but we did sail her in 2008 for our honeymoon. LOVED her! You can tell she is dated but how they can keep up on things to keep it in such fine shape is beyond me. Since then they did upgrade her with new carpet, TV's, serenity, water park, and other things which was just like the Fascination which we were on last 2 years and it is also AWESOME! We love the smaller ship (not that 70,000 tons is small :D)- not crowded, easy to get around , and the service is top notch. Have a great time!

My first cruise was on the Fantasy last December. She was beautiful and I had such a good time that I went again during July and leave on December 2 for another. We live about 4 hr drive from Charleston so it makes it very tempting to keep cruising from there. We stayed the night before and did the park and cruise package. It was so easy getting to port.

For those that stay the night before, do you have any hotel recommendations? Seems like it would make more sense to pay a lil more for a hotel with a parking package and already be there cruise morning instead of paying for parking at the terminal :)

I stayed at the Quality Inn in Patriots Point. It right over the bridge. I didn't get the park package, as hubby is handicapped so it was free to park at the terminal, but they do offer it. I've stayed at Quality several times, always good.

We usually get there around 10:00ish and the lines to park aren't too long at that time, but we don't have as far to drive as you do. In September we were on board by 11:15. If you have a handicapped tag, parking is free so I don't know how much they actually charge per day.

I love the Fantasy, yes, it's old, but still good. Being old, she is smaller and that's nice when you want to just get away from the larger ones. Nassau and Freeport aren't much to talk about, but Little Stirrup Cay is nice and I read another thread where someone had Half Moon Cay on their itinerary and it's also beautiful.

I think the food is good, service is good, but recently our cabins have been hot. I always request a fan.

I think if you go with an open mind and doing research as you are, you will know what to expect and most likely enjoy it. Click on my link below for pictures of the Fantasy...click the left arrow to keep in order...crazy, but it's a Photobucket thing...

Edited by Terre

Also, we have never sailed on such a small/old ship. Is she in good shape? Fun? Decent food? Thanks in advance to anyone offering insight! :)

Have not been on her for 5 years, she left for the east coast.:(

Can I have my ship back to NOLA>?

I have another Fantasy question, How did Noah get all those animals on his Ark? Also what would jonah have ate while he was stuck in the whale for those few days? How did a virgin give birth? I figured I'd ask here since were discussing FANTASY

I looove the fantasy! She is perhaps my favorite ship so far. IMO, her smaller size is clearly a plus. I also love the decor. The atrium & Marina Promenade are really pretty, & the Cat's Lounge is one of my favorite rooms on any ship. There is also a really great outdoor dining area just aft of the buffet area.

We usually get there around 10:00ish and the lines to park aren't too long at that time, but we don't have as far to drive as you do. In September we were on board by 11:15. If you have a handicapped tag, parking is free so I don't know how much they actually charge per day.

I love the Fantasy, yes, it's old, but still good. Being old, she is smaller and that's nice when you want to just get away from the larger ones. Nassau and Freeport aren't much to talk about, but Little Stirrup Cay is nice and I read another thread where someone had Half Moon Cay on their itinerary and it's also beautiful.

I have had very different experiences as far as the parking. The line going in to the port is very convoluted & they don't even typically let cars go beyond a certain point until after 10. If you arrive before 10, expect to sit in your vehicle for a while. All this being said, I actually love the parking situation in Charleston. The cars are parked in old warehouses that are locked unless the ship is in port.

Yes, The Fantasy goes to HMC as well as Grand Turk. There are also 7 day cruises happening more often lately. :)

Thanks everyone for your input! We're still discussing on booking or not. The itinerary we're looking at is little stirrup cay and nassau which I'm pretty happy about! Can definitely do without freeport haha. I really don't care what ship I'm on, as long as I'm on one! Dh is a lil more picky :p

I wouldnt leave in January the day of a cruise. you know, it snows up norrth-;) Plan on going into Charleston the day before., Also a really good way to taste the local cuisine and fresh seafood before boarding. Enjoy!

Haha yea we know all about snow!:p being originally from upstate ny nothing really scares us lol I figured even if it was snowing the morning of, the farther we get south it should be better :)

My whole family, teens included, love all the Fantasy class ships! We prefer the smaller ships actually to the monster ones they build now. So much more space & smaller crowds. They do a fantastic job at keeping everything clean & updated.

Haha yea we know all about snow!:p being originally from upstate ny nothing really scares us lol I figured even if it was snowing the morning of, the farther we get south it should be better :)

I drive round trip from NC to NYC for the holidays every year. Virginia Highways are always the last to get cleared. One year, I had to stay at a hotel near the state line for a full 24 hours while I waited for them to clear the roads. NC was perfectly clear if I wanted to go back home. lol

Love the Fantasy !!!! Older ship but love the decor and set up... Buffett area better than the Sunshine I was just one. Parking easy 85.00 for 5 day cruise. Could update the shows. People go on this boat more than once usually and seeing same shows can get boring. Going back on her Dec 2nd - Daughtry. Carnival Live ........ Can't wait.

Just got off the Fantasy today. Smallest and oldest ship that I've been on and I loved it. I felt that the staterooms show their age but that was the only place that showed it. The crew and entertainment were top notch and it was so easy to find my way around on a ship that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have another Fantasy question, How did Noah get all those animals on his Ark? Also what would jonah have ate while he was stuck in the whale for those few days? How did a virgin give birth? I figured I'd ask here since were discussing FANTASY

Really? Was that necessary?

I drive round trip from NC to NYC for the holidays every year. Virginia Highways are always the last to get cleared. One year, I had to stay at a hotel near the state line for a full 24 hours while I waited for them to clear the roads. NC was perfectly clear if I wanted to go back home. lol

Thanks for the heads up! PA is terrible with clearing the highways but as soon as we cross into MD you can see pavement! So annoying lol

Just keep in back of your mind. Last year the ice storm we got was in January (we were on the ship exactly 10 days b4 the storm hit and thanked our stars that we were not leaving on the day of the storm or would not have been able to drive from Myrtle to Charleston).

Also personally I love the Fantasy (been on her 5 times with 2 more scheduled - Jan. and March). She is old but, in my opinion, in great shape. I'm really looking forward to Little Stirup Cay this time (never been there).

Just keep in back of your mind. Last year the ice storm we got was in January (we were on the ship exactly 10 days b4 the storm hit and thanked our stars that we were not leaving on the day of the storm or would not have been able to drive from Myrtle to Charleston).

Also personally I love the Fantasy (been on her 5 times with 2 more scheduled - Jan. and March). She is old but, in my opinion, in great shape. I'm really looking forward to Little Stirup Cay this time (never been there).

The january 28 one is the one we're looking at :) what type of room do you usually stay in? I'm debating between an oceanview or porthole on empress. I can't decide! We usually stay in balconies, but I'm not paying for a suite! Lol

I just stayed in E16 (large window) and my friends stayed in E4 (porthole). In my opinion, the little bit extra that it cost for a window was well worth it. There is virtually no peripheral view at all from the portholes. The wall is very thick so you can only see straight out unless you stand right by the window. This was my first non balcony room and I'm glad it wasn't a porthole.

Also, they felt quite a bit more motion in their room even tho it was just a few doors down from me.

Both rooms were very loud when we were approaching a port so don't expect to sleep thru that if your room is Forward. It woke me up at 5 am on our Nassau day and I think it was 6 am when returning to Miami. There was no way I could sleep thru that and I think it went on for about 90 minutes. I knew it would be noisy when i booked this room but didn't realize it would last that long. I assume a midship location would have been quieter.

We missed Little Stirrup Cay due to weather.

I loved this ship. I thought the staff was outstanding and with so few passengers and crew, it was fun to bump into the same people all the time.

Enjoy your cruise.

I just stayed in E16 (large window) and my friends stayed in E4 (porthole). In my opinion, the little bit extra that it cost for a window was well worth it. There is virtually no peripheral view at all from the portholes. The wall is very thick so you can only see straight out unless you stand right by the window. This was my first non balcony room and I'm glad it wasn't a porthole.

Also, they felt quite a bit more motion in their room even tho it was just a few doors down from me.

Both rooms were very loud when we were approaching a port so don't expect to sleep thru that if your room is Forward. It woke me up at 5 am on our Nassau day and I think it was 6 am when returning to Miami. There was no way I could sleep thru that and I think it went on for about 90 minutes. I knew it would be noisy when i booked this room but didn't realize it would last that long. I assume a midship location would have been quieter.

We missed Little Stirrup Cay due to weather.

I loved this ship. I thought the staff was outstanding and with so few passengers and crew, it was fun to bump into the same people all the time.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hmm lots to think about! Thank you. I don't think I want to deal with a lot of noise or motion in the front. If we booked an oceanview I was looking aft because we always seem to stay back there and like it.