Packing Cubes, Etc.......

karinad

I still packed the same amount of clothes using some of these. The advantage I found was for my long haul flight everything stayed in place nicely and the clothes in the cubes (which you need to pack to full potential to stop clothes moving about) came out just as I had placed them from my ironing pile, no bad creases, I was impressed enough to use again. I also did not bother to unpack my t-shirts and tops on arrival I just placed the cube on a shelf as sometimes space is of a premium.

I did not use these for dresses or trousers these i just laid flat on top of the cubes.

I bought them for a transatlantic cruise with stops in the Caribbean followed by two weeks in England. So I needed clothes for many different temperatures. I packed my Caribbean things in a cubes together and my fleece jacket and other warm clothes together. Then I didn't have to go into the warm clothing until it was needed. Once getting to England, I did it the other way around. I packed all of the clothes from the Caribbean and those that I wouldn't use in England and they were out of my way.

While I don't necessarily try to pack more by using the cubes as I could have suitcase weighing 60 lbs in a heartbeat, they do help to keep me from sticking in just one more this or one more that and keeping things organized.

I have great success in arriving at my destination with unwrinkled clothes using 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags for blouses, knit tops, etc.

Carefully folded and stacked clothing is slipped into the bags, the bag is placed on a smooth firm surface, and the air is "burped" out of the bag. This prevents clothes from sliding around inside my luggage. Upon arrival I just place those bags on the shelves or in drawers with the clothes still inside. It's not necessary to hang those items up, as they are wrinkle free.

For slacks, capri pants etc, I use large plastic bags laid on the length of the pants before folding to minimize unwanted creases.

I've never found traditional packing cubes to save any room - merely help me organize. I did pick up a couple that are space-saving and zip down smaller than originally packed. That said - they save a bit of space, but not a lot.

The only true space savers, I've found, are the ones where you roll them up and squeeze the air out, or the vacuum type. But then I do worry about weight limits.

packing cubes work best for organizing small things, and only save space if they are fully stuffed.

Packing folders work best for clothing. For me, using the vacuum bags or plastic ziplock bags led to a lot of wrinkling. but when i layer my clothing in a packing folder they look great.

I love my cubes. I usually roll my clothes and place them in the cubes. I have a variety of shapes and sizes. I love how I can just put the whole cube in the dresser and not have to worry about my clothes being loose in the drawer and not finding things cuz I have rooted through so many times looking for something.

They definitely are great for organizing for sure. I have a certain one that I use for all the electronic cords etc... to keep together. It lays flat in the suitcase and then so convenient when placed in the dresser drawer.

My clothes are packed in my cubes and ready to go on our cruise tomorrow. Some lose items I use to fill in the holes and make use of space.

I, also, like the idea of not laying my clothes directly in the drawers. I brought my Wrinkle Release, just in case of wrinkles! I sure wish it worked on my face!:rolleyes:

I've been packing for our cruise on Monday. I purchased some packing cubes, but I'm not convinced that they save room. Has anyone proved this to be true? They seem like they're great for organizing.:confused:

We found we only used 1/2 or less of what we brought with us. We go for 30 days or more and only use a carry-on each. Here is a YouTube Video. We didn't believe it until we tired it, only way to go now for us. Hate lugging extra suitcases around.

Don

Edited by Folk Singer