Luggage questions

Scrapnana

When I fly to Europe I always book a non-stop flight. This time I needed a one way flight to Europe so I had the cruise line book the flight and I have a stop. I fly RIC to ATL and then change planes for London. So, two questions.

1) On the domestic flight will I have to pay to check a bag (flying Delta)?

2) Can I check my bag in Richmond and have it go straight through to London or will I have to collect it in Atlanta and recheck it?

Thanks!

If both of your flights are on Delta or a code share partner you will get one bag free as stated by the very astute frugaltravel.

Even though your flights are booked through cruise air do monitor occasionally for flight or equipment changes. If you have a Delta frequent flyer account you can monitor your reservation online without having to contact cruise air.

With same-day connection you can check in RIC through to your final destination.

One free piece of checked luggage up to 50 lb. is allowed.

Now lets lambast the OP :-)

So if one has a DL (Platinum AMEX) credit card and you normally get one free bag..you will get two free bags :confused:

So if one has a DL (Platinum AMEX) credit card and you normally get one free bag..you will get two free bags :confused:

1. It does not have to be the DL platinum card to get the free bag benefit. The gold card gets it as well.

2. I don't think it gets you 2 free bags on a TATL flight. The stated benefit is "first bag for free." If your first bag is already free due to it being a TATL flight, then the benefit simply isn't applicable; it doesn't get you a 2nd free bag. That's the way I read the policy and the way I've heard it explained as well. If someone has consistent experience otherwise, please share.

Let me ask this question: I'll be flying Delta from CLT to MIA. It has a stop in ATL. It looks as though I'll have to pay for the first piece of luggage to ATL but it's no cost from ATL to MIA. Am I understanding this correctly?

Let me ask this question: I'll be flying Delta from CLT to MIA. It has a stop in ATL. It looks as though I'll have to pay for the first piece of luggage to ATL but it's no cost from ATL to MIA. Am I understanding this correctly?

You are on one domestic ticket with a connection? There's just one baggage fee that covers your entire flight. You just pay once for this flight.

2. I don't think it gets you 2 free bags on a TATL flight. The stated benefit is "first bag for free." If your first bag is already free due to it being a TATL flight, then the benefit simply isn't applicable; it doesn't get you a 2nd free bag. That's the way I read the policy and the way I've heard it explained as well. If someone has consistent experience otherwise, please share.

The free bag benefit is only for domestic flights and only for flights operated by Delta and their subsidiaries (but not operated by their partners like Alaska Air). So the short answer is, "No you don't get two free pieces of checked luggage for international flights."

As was stated, the luggage charge is from the origin to the destination regardless of the number of connections if you are on one ticket. Even if you change airlines within the one ticket, the US law now says that the luggage allowance for the entire trip (including the return trip) is based on the policies and fees of the airline who flies you on the first flight of the ticket.