TA vs booking direct with NCL

mintsugarcube

So here is my dilemma.

The offer with the online TA is the same as it is with NCL, but I can get $200 OBC and a dinner for two at the specialty restaurant and a bottle of wine kicked in for free.

I called NCL and they said they won't be able to either offer a price reduction or offer $200 OBC or any OBC. And NO, I am not complaining, so please put your fangs away to those vampires ready to bite me!! It never hurts to ask, right?

When I asked the TA "So, let's say the price for the cabin goes down by $100, I know all I would have to do would be to call NCL and ask and I would get the $100 as OBC. Is that the case if I book with you?" Well, I finally got it out of her that no, that would not necessarily be the case with the TA as they "have to work from commission."

She said I "may get some of the $100, but not necessarily ALL of the $100 as OBC." Whereas if I booked direct, I know I would get all of the price difference if my category rate decreased.

So, what would you do:

Option one: Pay rate X by booking direct and hoping that the rate will go down by more than $200 + the price of dinner for 2 and a bottle of wine.

Option two: Pay the exact same rate X by booking with the TA and knowing right off the bat I'll get $200 OBC and a free dinner for 2 and a bottle of wine. Also knowing that if the rate goes down, I may not get all of the rate difference as OBC back, and quite possibly may not even get all of it.

I guess it's kind of betting that the rate will go down at least $200 (in that case, book direct), or won't (in that case book with the TA).

Now that I've driven myself crazy with this, can anyone shed a better light on it?

ps. the sailing is May 2015 on NCL Breakaway to Bermuda

It depends on how far out you are booking. The longer out the better chance of a price drop...

We booked our next cruise a year in advance and it has gone up $700.00 per person, so you just never know.

Is the OBC and dinner worth the trouble of contacting the T.A. or could you live with out it???

I would book with NCL and watch for price drops myself. But that's me. :cool:

So here is my dilemma.

The offer with the online TA is the same as it is with NCL, but I can get $200 OBC and a dinner for two at the specialty restaurant and a bottle of wine kicked in for free.

I called NCL and they said they won't be able to either offer a price reduction or offer $200 OBC or any OBC. And NO, I am not complaining, so please put your fangs away to those vampires ready to bite me!! It never hurts to ask, right?

When I asked the TA "So, let's say the price for the cabin goes down by $100, I know all I would have to do would be to call NCL and ask and I would get the $100 as OBC. Is that the case if I book with you?" Well, I finally got it out of her that no, that would not necessarily be the case with the TA as they "have to work from commission."

She said I "may get some of the $100, but not necessarily ALL of the $100 as OBC." Whereas if I booked direct, I know I would get all of the price difference if my category rate decreased.

So, what would you do:

Option one: Pay rate X by booking direct and hoping that the rate will go down by more than $200 + the price of dinner for 2 and a bottle of wine.

Option two: Pay the exact same rate X by booking with the TA and knowing right off the bat I'll get $200 OBC and a free dinner for 2 and a bottle of wine. Also knowing that if the rate goes down, I may not get all of the rate difference as OBC back, and quite possibly may not even get all of it.

I guess it's kind of betting that the rate will go down at least $200 (in that case, book direct), or won't (in that case book with the TA).

Now that I've driven myself crazy with this, can anyone shed a better light on it?

ps. the sailing is May 2015 on NCL Breakaway to Bermuda

I also it depends on how far out you are booking and what category your booking from in the beginning! If your booking in the Haven right from the get go..go with NCL.

If your booking at an inside or OV category, try the TA. Depending on the TA, lets see how to put this. If your considering the "only" TA from all the "cruises" websites. (hint hint) Here, how it goes with them. If the price drops, you can upgrade. Sometimes, its an even upgrade or you can pay a few extra bucks to get the upgrade. I paid for inside at the beginning, now with all the price drops, I'm in a mini-suite. All you gotta do is call your TA, they call NCL and they work out the details. I've also kept all the special offers I received. Yes, this can take some time but if you wants those extra perks verses possible OBC, I would do it.

Good luck!

So you think if you book with NCL and then the price for your category goes down by$100, you just call and get the price difference in OBC?

I wish it were that easy. You can essentially cancel and rebook at the new rate pre final payment, but in doing so, you might lose perks you had with the previous booking which might cancel out your $100 savings. They do not simply give you the difference in OBC.

Book with the TA. You're getting more stuff. If the price goes down you do not get it all back with NCL if it's after final payment as OBC. I've asked and others have asked. They offer a portion back sometimes if any or an upgrade at a small price or complementary if it's within what you paid. Sometimes nothing is offered. I've used a TA, most of the time I book direct. But if there is a benefit to booking with a TA like prepaid gratuities or OBC, I figure that's like saving or getting money then I do it. Obviously the benefit of booking direct is that there is no middle man so things get done faster.

We tend to book a year to a year and a half out and find prices almost always go up. We never use a TA. I always check the main stream TAs and they never offer good deals on the cruises when I book them.

If you are going to the Caribbean and can drive to the port, booking late is a good option, but not sure about using a TA after Final Payment.

We tend to book a year to a year and a half out and find prices almost always go up. We never use a TA. I always check the main stream TAs and they never offer good deals on the cruises when I book them.

If you are going to the Caribbean and can drive to the port, booking late is a good option, but not sure about using a TA after Final Payment.

Just the opposite for us. Web based TAs always beat the cruise line whether we book early or late. I use the big reverse auction site and on average beat the cruise line offers by close to 10%. The big issue is to be certain not to use one of the TAs that charge cancel and/or change fees.

First off, the offers are not the same. The TA is offering you $250 off.

Next, you assume that either party will or will not be able to help you after a price drop. Maybe, maybe not. Big assumption.

Pick whichever you feel better about today.

I have always booked through a TA -- usually one of the major online ones. They have been good about talking to NCL when there are price drops but I have to call and ask. It's been a number of years since they offered me OBC -- usually it's an upgrade of some sort.

I would buy from the TA who gives me the best deal. I don't believe that you'll get any different handling if there is a price drop no matter who you book with.

In the end, you just have to choose whom you are most comfortable doing business with and how responsive they are to you when you need something. I tend to value service over on board credit and cheap sparkling wine any day of the week.

I have found that I like dealing with my PCC at NCL and the level of responsiveness for me is spot on. It's a personal relationship that has been built over the years and is something I cannot get from an online agency.

I have tried online TAs and had a more difficult time getting concerns resolved.

As for brick and mortar travel agents... they seem to be a dying breed... I haven't used one in years.

We get better incentives (OBC or other) from our TAs (we use 2) than through NCL directly. If there is a price drop (not often for us) our TA calls NCL and gets it adjusted before final payment. One of these agencies charges a $25 change fee, the other does not charge anything in the way of fees.

It pays to shop around a bit and compare.

Edited by mizlorinj

OK you do the math and decide TA or no TA

1) Haven aft penthouse suite -on Getaway in 2016 on 3 Jan for 3 persons - today's prices

2) NCL on line - $6600 with no OBC (and during the last sale was $300 OBC)

3) A internet TA $6600 with $600 OBC (during the last sale was $900 OBC)

4) A Florida TA who we use and is also an internet seller- No OBC but price of $5800. (during the last sale $5800 with $500 OBC)

As far as service -- my TA is better than the cruise line (since he can get higher in the chain) if there is a problem.

If your travel agent is good, they'll get you the fare and/or room adjustment for you anyway. Especially if you're going as couple or a family; if you're going solo in the studio room, well good luck with that....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk