Has anyone had a family member that did not like cruising?

We have cruised with my granddaughter who has social anxiety due to autism. The special needs dept helped us a great deal to alleviate many of the problems.

He didn't used to be like this. It has developed in last couple of years. He is 21 and can't even go into a store.

My son who is 34 hates cruising. Two years ago I finally got him to go on his first cruise. That year I had chosen Royal Caribbean, not because I had any problems with Carnival I just liked the Ports that they were offering. We did a nine day to the Caribbean. He did like the Islands we had a Royal Suite so I thought he would love it, but nah he complained all the time. So last year I got him to go with us again we were a group of 19 people all family and two of his closest friends, we did Carnival this time. But again he hated it. He said he hates being confined and eating the same food everyday. That people who go cruising all they want to do is drink, drink and drink some more (His words).

I tell him that is not so I am 57 and my husband is 61, we don't drink we don't dance we don't even do beaches so you might ask yourself well what do you guys do, I am out and about the whole day on the ship seeing people reading eating sleeping I literally keep myself so busy that I wish I had more days. As for my husband he just comes out of the cabin to eat and get coffee he loves sitting in the balcony reading his bible and looking at the ocean we both love love cruising.

Only wished we were able to cruise more often in the year but it is very difficult for my husband to do so, but once a year is better then not at all.

I love cruising, getting into port and people watching, and mind you I am partially handicapped I need a scooter to get around I have lupus and all my joints hurt especially my back but that doesn't stop me.

I love cruising - my hubby not so much. He has been on a few cruises (so he tried it) but its just not his thing. Nothing he can really say bad about it, he just doesn't enjoy it. SO, I cruise with girlfriends, family or solo. He goes hunting with the guys, I cruise.

I think its like everything else in life - some like it, some dont. Its a good thing everyone doesn't love it or I probably couldnt afford to go as often as I do.:)

I think it's super-important to match the ship and itinerary to the person. We accompanied a couple of close relatives on what was the husband's first cruise. It was quite spur-of-the-moment and chosen for convenience and economy: Norwegian Sun Southbound Pacific Coastal with stops in Victoria, Astoria and Monterey Bay.

Wrong ship - no bells and whistles AT ALL and extremely limited activities and entertainment (not kidding - golf putting into paper cups in the lobby was an actual thing). Excellent food but only in the $$ specialty restaurants (given the budget-mindedness of the trip, they didn't eat at any of them). Fine service, but in a low-category inside cabin basically all they needed was the bed made and the bathroom cleaned.

Wrong itinerary - that late in the season the weather had already started to change and it was chilly everywhere we went. It was too windy and cool to enjoy pool time during the sea day. Very low-key ports - no "bucket-list" type of destinations to be sure. No action/adventure type of excursions available in any port.

For DH and I, it was a pleasant little getaway, ho hum perhaps but fine, given our experience and expectations. For the first-time cruiser in the couple, it was a hideous waste of time and set his mind against cruising entirely. We feel bad about having "allowed" him to have such a poor experience and have begged him to try a Western Caribbean itinerary on one of RCCL's mega-ships with us. We KNOW it would suit him so much better and redeem the entire experience. He hasn't agreed yet, and says he never will.:(

Edited by ronandannette

If a person has a negative experience on their first cruise, they may decide that they don't like cruising at all, even though it may just have been the particular circumstances they didn't like. A different cruise line, ship, destination, etc. might make a difference.

My former in-laws went on a Caribbean cruise with a church group and didn't particularly like it. Too rowdy for them, and they aren't beach/pool people. Later they chose to take the whole family on a cruise to Alaska for their 40th anniversary, and they liked that a lot better. No wild partying, better destination for them, etc.

I have only cruised to Alaska. I read about things that happen on Caribbean cruises (chair hogs, hair chest contests, etc.) and I'm not sure I would enjoy that either. I'd like to do a British Isles cruise someday, or maybe Hawaii, but for now I'll just keep cruising to Alaska because I love it.

<snip>

I have only cruised to Alaska. I read about things that happen on Caribbean cruises (chair hogs, hair chest contests, etc.) and I'm not sure I would enjoy that either. I'd like to do a British Isles cruise someday, or maybe Hawaii, but for now I'll just keep cruising to Alaska because I love it.

You won't find that sort of nonsense of HAL ships. I've done over 80 cruises on HAL ships and many of those cruises were in the Caribbean. My DH loved the sun and sitting by the pool and not once did he have a hard time getting a chair. I've never seen a hairy chest contest and to the best of my knowledge, HAL has never had such a thing.

Do your reading and select the cruise line that best suits your preferences. :)

My late father- he said there was nothing for him to do except go down to the engine room and watch the engines turn:confused:

Because of that, my mom never got to go on a cruise.

Our first cruise, was not that great, we went on the original Sun Princess- a "high density ship" on its last cruise before it was sold. The food was not that great, and of course the service was not good either. However, we put that behind us and ended up going on 26 cruises before my wife passed away.

Edited by Talisker92

Some fun facts.

Worldwide Cruise industry revenues in 2013 - $36.2 Billion.

Worldwide Tourism industry revenues in 2013 - $2,200 Billion.

Cruise industry revenues as a percent of Total Tourism industry revenues - 1.6%

Total population of Europe, North America and throw in Australia and some other cruising nations - about 1 billion.

Total cruise passengers in 2013 - about 20 million

Cruise industry passengers as a percent of cruise nations' population - 2%

And yes lots my my family do not like cruising when they have tried it. And I suspect it's the same in most families. Cruising is a niche product. (Like Curling is a niche sport.) Only the most intelligent and refined among us appreciate them.:D

My DH, all our grown children and I love cruising. DS and DD both married people that hate cruising. DS even proposed on a cruise and she hates it. DD and her husband honeymooned on a cruise and he hates it.. his excuse was that you don't stay in one place long enough to know what it is like there. DDIL says there is nothing to do.:rolleyes: I have a feeling it is because their inlaws cruise all the time and they do not want to like anything that we like. Doesn't hurt us though I would love to be able to take everyone with us one time (grandchildren especially). To each his own.