What's with the polo shirts on Formal Night??

loveandcruises

Just got back from our Summit cruise. My husband has brought along his tuxedo on every cruise we've been on. He used to look like everyone else on Formal Night. On this cruise, maybe 5% wore tuxedos. Dark suits are absolutely fine, and my husband will probably go this route in the future. However, I saw plenty of polo shirts and Hawaiian shirts on Formal Nights. Our waiter told us he's not allowed to say anything to the guests. It just bugs the hell out of me. How about you?

Lol, warning this is a controversial topic here on CC

(so much so to cut down on such topics the CC HOSTS created a STICKY for Dress Code Questions / Posts... So don't be surprised if your Question gets moved there, or is closed out by the Mods)

That said...

YES there is a Dress Code on Celebrity, and it is very clear in their documentation what is Expected

Fortunately... The majority of Celebrity Customers abide by The Dress Code Requirements

Unfortunately some do not wish to / want to comply... And so they try to push the envelope

Sometimes Celebrity's Staff onboard are very clear on enforcing the Dress Code... Either by turning away inappropriately dressed Pax at the Door to the MDR... Or offering the men a Jacket / Blazer

Sadly not all Staff / Ships are as adamant about the Dress Code RULE as others

This makes some who do follow the Dress Code (such as yourself) upset, cause they feel disrespected in their choice to "make the effort" to Honour the Expectation

Making those that have done the RIGHT THING feel bad is not good for Celebrity or her Customers

If you feel strongly that Celebrity should continue to uphold their Dress Code Rules across the fleet, then I suggest that you voice that opinion beyond just CC... And write a letter / email to Celebrity Mgmt documenting your experience

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Just got back from our Summit cruise. My husband has brought along his tuxedo on every cruise we've been on. He used to look like everyone else on Formal Night. On this cruise, maybe 5% wore tuxedos. Dark suits are absolutely fine, and my husband will probably go this route in the future. However, I saw plenty of polo shirts and Hawaiian shirts on Formal Nights. Our waiter told us he's not allowed to say anything to the guests. It just bugs the hell out of me. How about you?

Over time this is what has happened.

People see others less 'dressed-up' and then they choose to do the same on their next cruise.

This is not just a Celebrity issue.

As others have mentioned, baggage charges with the airlines are a big factor for many.

My DH will continue to wear his Tux with a bow tie. It happens to pack better and comes out with no wrinkles even when folded so it's more practical than a dark suit.

Personally, I like the 'idea' of formal night but really don't care what others are wearing. I always enjoy seeing others who are dressed up though.....

I don't mind what others wear, as long as they have clothing on. :eek:

Personally, I like the 'idea' of formal night but really don't care what others are wearing.....

The wifester just took me to get fitted for a new tux:D

That done, we too do not waist a moment of our vacation fretting over what someone else does, let alone wears.

Doesn't bother me at all. Personally think formal night should go the way of the dinosaurs. :)

When I checked the dress code under the FAQ's I thought I would die. That code is so out of date. It talks about daywear and port wear. Under both of these women are told to wear pants or skirts or dresses. I mean here is what they say to wear to port:

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

According to this women aren't allowed to wear shorts but men can. I do believe it is time for an update. Maybe if some of it made sense people would follow it. When you read the whole dress code there is no time or place for a woman to wear shorts. Doesn't matter if it is hot and humid; pants, shirts, and dresses are the called for attire.

Sharon

I really don't mind either way, but am respectful of the rules on our cruise last year one formal night Hubby and I just did not feel up for it, fine we went into the café and had a great meal! The café on Celebrity is great if you don't want to dress up.

I am 57 so as some posters may think I am not ancient. I like formal nights. If you don't want to dress up with at least a nice dress or slacks with a nice blouse go to another area to dine. And please don't tell me it's your vacation to do what you will.

It was on the docket before you ever signed up. I don't want your cell phone ringing while I am in a movie either. You can always go on Carnival that is geared up for the kids and younger generation.

Thanks for clarifying what many of us have been seeing, even though we are told we are not seeing this because we haven't been on 50 cruises.

The issue is that Celebrity doesn't enforce the dress code. Celebrity is on a slippery slope on this one. If they refuse entry to a gentleman in a Hawaiian shirt and then let in a woman in a daytime dress, there will be a lot of screaming and rightfully so, so what do they do!!!

Best thing to do is to dress the way you feel comfortable and don't get worry about others are wearing.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Fortunately or unfortunately, the old ways of cruising are dying off. Traditional dining is more and more in the minority, and dress codes are fading away. Most people just don't want the big production anymore, with the fancy clothes and the long, elaborate dinners often eaten at large tables with strangers. Dinner is now more about just getting something to eat, less about an event as it was in the old days. It's a sign of the times, I guess --- restaurants at home are far more casual than they used to be, and it seems OK to wear whatever you want to church as well. Personally, I'm in the middle --- I like seeing passengers clean up for the evening (NCL is too casual for me), but I won't really miss the days of tuxes and ball gowns. I predict formal nights will be dropped before too long, I think it's what most cruisers want these days.

Hi Loveandcruises,

All dress code conversation will be taking place on the Dress Code sticky : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2113872 . Please continue the conversation on this thread.

Thanks for your understanding and participation. This thread is now closed.