A bit OT

Happy ks

icon_razz.gif Well to make this a little more on-topic, I have been on the lookout for a new black evening bag for my next cruise. Reason, my bag is not large enough for my reading glasses. Yesterday, I picked up my new contact lenses, gas permeable bi-focals. I could not be happier, they work great, now I won't need to carry reading glasses!

Kathy

Those sound great! I should really look into those so that I can snorkel and see what I'm looking at. Ummmm, can you snorkel in them?

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

icon_eek.gif Sorry, guys, but you can't swim in them. They'll come out just as any other contacts would. Do contacts normally stay in with a mask on?

Happy ks...hate to burst the bubble, but, unless you get new bifocal gas-permeables every 6 mos, you'll soon still be using the readers/magnifiers again, even WITH the lenses. I was ecstatic also (been wearing glasses since the 4th grade) and, just last night in a restaurant, my readers were on so I could read the menu. It's just simply one of those "over 40" things we have to deal with.

Go to www.qvc.com and order H81475 and your glasses not fitting in your purse dilemna will be solved. I LOVE them! I have the animal prints. I have even put them through the elastic pen holder thing in my wallet. They'll fit in the smallest pocket also.

Good luck from one who can relate. My next step is Lasik.

Karen icon_wink.gif

Carnival Miracle 10/24/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;10;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I'll have to ask my eye Dr. about that next week. Already have about a half dozen pair of those reading glasses w/cases very similar to the ones you posted. They are about half that price when you pick them up at Steinmart!

Kathy

I have had the same gas-permeable bi-focal contacts for three and a half years and have had no problems, no change in prescription (I get checked every year). I have always worn contacts while snorkeling -- they don't "float off" my eyes, even if I get water into the mask. There would be no point in my snorkeling without them, as I could only see a fish if it were about six inches away!

icon_cool.gif Thanks, Klauer...I never tried snorkeling with the lenses. Always thought they'd float away. I'm in the same boat with not being able to see the fish - lol!

I've had my same, gas perms for almost 4 yrs, but I do have to wear the readers with them now and I didn't have to for about the first year. My prescription hasn't changed either, but the readers are still needed.

Karen icon_cool.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;10;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

LoisR....count your blessings!

Karen icon_wink.gif<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lois R:

I must be a very lucky person...46 and I don't wear any glasses icon_smile.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Happy ks...we don't have Steinmart here, but I'll check for a website.

Karen icon_cool.gif<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Happy ks:

I'll have to ask my eye Dr. about that next week. Already have about a half dozen pair of those reading glasses w/cases very similar to the ones you posted. They are about half that price when you pick them up at Steinmart!

Kathy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you thought about LASIK surgery? I had it done in February. It was the best money I ever spent. Now, I don't have to worry about glasses or contact lenses. I can even open my eyes underwater while I am swimming with my kids. It is definitely amazing!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

days until we sail on the Inspiration 5/30/04

Another option for snorkeling is prescription goggles. My husband can't wear contacts, and he is quite nearsighted. He ordered the goggles through a dive shop, and they really enhanced his snorkeling experience. I can't remember the price, but they weren't outrageously expensive.

mom2girls -- Were you very nearsighted before you had the LASIK surgery? Was your vision corrected so you can see well up close too, or will you need reading glasses at some point?

I am interested in having LASIK myself, but really don't want to wear glasses at all. Thanks for any information!

I'm a big fan of LASIK, had it done a few years ago.

However, it won't improve a condition called Presbyopia (when you can't see close up anymore and need readers) that generally comes along between the ages of 40 and 50.

I'm nearly 48 and am experiencing it - can't read small print, can't read anything in dim light, having to hold menus further and further away.

Maybe in the future, there will be a procedure to correct that, but for now...

I did a lot of research on LASIK before having it done, and I love it. Not having to worry about glasses and contacts, especially while travelling, is wonderful.

T

Four years ago I had LASIK and had it done for mono-vision, my right eye is corrected for distance and left eye is for close up. I had worn mono-vision contacts for years and it worked well for me, that is the reason the doctor did the surgery that way. It works well, my middle-distance vision isn't as good as I'd like but I can live with it.

Marie

I've worn glasses my whole life - very far-sighted. My eyes started changing a lot after 45. My opthamalogist said the ability to focus is directly related to hormones. So if the hormones change so does the ability to focus.

Unfortunately lasik won't work for me either. Oh how I wish..... I hate paying over $600 every 2 years for glasses. I also wear contacts. One that is. It's called monovision. One eye reads and the other is for distance. It's the only way I can put on make-up. The problem I've got now is that my distance is also starting to go. It's always something. icon_rolleyes.gif

Beth

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;10;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mariner of the Seas Reali-Tini Cruise Oct. 16/05

So far, so good, my new contacts are working out great. I'll be going in for my follow-up tomorrow and will ask about the 6 month thing. I have noticed in dimmer light I can't read small print as well. It is such a relief to not have to have a pair of readers hanging around my neck all the time! I have thought about lasik, I'm still too scared no matter how many tell me it's great. I did try monovision a couple years ago, that bothered me nore than having to have readers.

I was worried about these, because they are more expensive and I haven't ever done well with bifocal glasses in the past.

Count your blessings if you have good vision!

Kathy

I tried the mono-vision too (wearing one just one contact lens) and along about the 3rd time I (literally) ran into a stranger at the drug store, I couldn't do it anymore.

LASIK isn't for everyone. I was a great candidate (mild near-sightedness, slight astigmatism in one eye) but I certainly understand how people would be uneasy about it.

The thing that pushed me over the edge was coming back from a cruise, in the airport. One of my lenses was bothering me, I went into the restroom to clean it. The lighting in airport bathrooms is always so horrid. It still hurt after a couple cleanings, so I decided to replace it. Lost one lens down the sink, finally got another one in place. I made my appointment the next day. It's awesome to not have to take along a whole pharmacy with me when I travel now.

T

klauer: I wasn't too bad. I don't know what my vision was, but my contacts were -2.75. My vision now is 20/15. The place that we got our surgery done does surgery for farsightedness as well. If I ever need this in the future I will consider it.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

days until we sail on the Inspiration 5/30/04

mom2girls -- Wow, your vision is amazing now! Right now I am very nearsighted, but just a little farsighted. I am hoping that the technology will advance by the time that my bifocal contacts don't do the trick.

icon_cool.gif I know many people who have gone the Lasik route and 100% of them are totally satisfied. I'm haven't been "qualified" as of today, but that's the next appointment I'm going to make.

I would love to wake up and not reach for the glasses to find my way out of bed! I would also love to swim in the ocean and find my way back to the beach chair - just once! LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the info!

Karen icon_cool.gif

My follow-up appointment was fine. Asked the Dr. about the 6 month thing, he said I would need stronger lenses if my eyes changed, but the lenses would remain the same. He said eyes can change, but usually it takes 1 - 3 years before that takes place.

So, for now I am very happy with my lenses and I CAN READ WITHOUT READING GLASSES!!!

Kathy

I wear contact lenses and always keep my older ones to use while snorkeling in case they "float away" but have never lost one yet. I order from 1-800 contact and always get new ones before a trip so the old ones are my backup. It's always worked for me. (If I didn't plan ahead and take extras I'm sure I would have needed them. icon_rolleyes.gif) Colette

Wow a -2.75 in contacts... mine is -5.00, but I thought I was bad until I met someone who was a -9.50 in contacts. Now that is bad. My hubby had lasik about 3 years ago and still has no problems (he's 41). I'll probably have it done in tht next year. I've been wearing contacts for 14 years now, so it'll be weird.

Natalie

Superstar Leo to Alaska 5/22/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;5;22;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800http://community.webshots.com/user/natalunia

Madelinerose,

I am from MD and live in Jacksonville now (the home of Stein Mart) and I just wanted to let you know that there is a new Stein Mart at the Chevy Chase Pavillion in Chevy Chase/Bethesda. They are trying to break into the DC market. It may be a bit of a drive from Baltimore, but while you are down there check out Loehmann's in Rockville too for a great day of fabulous clothes at budget prices!

Archived