Mini Suite Rate Drop - Am I Being Greedy or Should I Press Harder?

hooha23

Disclaimer:

Cruising novice here. This is only my second cruise, and my first with Norwegian, so I am trying to make sure I get the best deal and any sort of refunds/OBC that I can for this price drop. I guess it is the accountant in me.

Timeline:

39 days out - I booked a BX at 1149/pp (ouch!). But I did get 10% OBC ($230) as a promo.

38 days out - called in less than 24hours when MX dropped below the BX rate (weird?) to 1069/pp. Got an upgrade to an MX and a credit card refund of $160 (sweet!). OBC dropped from $230 to $214.

38 days out - I also filled out the 48 hour price guarantee thing incase it dropped again, which it did, but they replied that this does not work for guarantee rooms.

35 days out - I realize I was assigned an MA. MX and MA are still dropping, but MA is still above what I paid. I call and the reps say they cant do anything for me because they can only match based on the category I was assigned, not the guaranty.

29 days out (Sat) - MX drops to ~799 and MA drops to ~999. I call. They offer me $35 bucks OBC (999-1069=70*2=140*.25=35) -.- I ask for $540 (799-1069=270*2=540). They again say that they cannot match based on the guaranty. She then offers to DOWNGRADE me back to a BX and give me 25% of the difference (~130) as OBC. (um, no thx?). They tell me I can call the executive customer service dept on a weekday Tuesday to discuss.

26 days out (today) - I call executive whatever dept. She offers me ~135 OBC (799-1069=270*2=540*.25=135). She quickly inflates it to a flat 200 OBC as a "courtesy". I thanked her and asked her to place a note about our discussion on my account and I will call her tomorrow after I decide if I want to press harder. She insists that the 200 will be available to me again when I call tomorrow. She also insists that there would be no one higher than her that I could speak with.

So - is the 200 an acceptable/normal accommodation? Higher than normal? Lower? Should I ask for a different rep? If I accept, I will have effectively paid 1069 + have around $400 OBC, which would come to around 869 pp (assuming one values OBC at 1:1)

Edited by hooha23

Don't make yourself sick over this, it's not worth it. Unfortunately nobody can really predict when and if prices will drop. They will not give you the $540 difference back, they don't have to even offer onboard credit. Maybe see if they are willing to upgrade you to a spa suite. Whatever happens don't let it steal your joy.

I would say it is higher than normal. You are entitled to nothing. You have been very fortunate.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am aware that I am not entitled to any refunds/OBC - I just didn't know what was customary practice by Norwegian in the name of customer service. I appreciate your reply.

Don't make yourself sick over this, it's not worth it. Unfortunately nobody can really predict when and if prices will drop. They will not give you the $540 difference back, they don't have to even offer onboard credit. Maybe see if they are willing to upgrade you to a spa suite. Whatever happens don't let it steal your joy.

Thanks for this! Yes, I was shooting for the moon with the $540. It is hard to not feel resentful or regret when you know you could have paid less. I dont plan to let it ruin my vacation - but I would definitely feel better getting everything back that I could. Thanks for the advice! I am not sure what a "spa suite" is, but I assume they are the mini-suites directly next to the spa? My room is on the same deck level, but at mid-ship.

You could have gotten the lower price if you would have first booked at 26 days out. Then again they could have been sold out or upped the price. Once you retire and can cruise any time you will enjoy the last minute booking game much more. You did well, as should be expected from an accountant.

Nice to see you learned the hard lesson regarding NCL's bogus price guarantee. Take the money and run. They have zero obligation to give you any OBC or upgrade you at all. Once past final payment you have no legal standing to demand anything.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, a lesson learned for sure. I am just hoping that posting my results might help someone in their negotiations or might make someone else aware of how to avoid this. I will have to monitor the timing of price drops more closely next time.

Wow, you did pretty darn good. I have never been offered the option to call an "executive customer service department." That's a new one.

I had my entire Getaway booking screwed up chasing price drops, so you have been fortunate indeed.

I always escalate up to the exec resolution team and they have worked out decent deals for me. I think you did as well as you were going to. You weren't being "greedy" at all. FYI, a TA ( or I think you can also do it by calling NCL directly) can usually put a 24 hr hold for you and request an extra day extension for payment- you can squeeze an extra few days if price watching this way ;)

I always escalate up to the exec resolution team and they have worked out decent deals for me. I think you did as well as you were going to. You weren't being "greedy" at all. FYI, a TA ( or I think you can also do it by calling NCL directly) can usually put a 24 hr hold for you and request an extra day extension for payment- you can squeeze an extra few days if price watching this way ;)

Glad to hear someone else has used this and had good results.

And thanks for the tip! I actually did have a 24 hour hold as well. I did it to secure the 10% OBC deal. I wanted to make sure that after the deal disappeared that the prices didn't plummet the next day.

Nice to see you learned the hard lesson regarding NCL's bogus price guarantee. Take the money and run. They have zero obligation to give you any OBC or upgrade you at all. Once past final payment you have no legal standing to demand anything.

In what way does OP's situation demonstrate that NCL's price guarantee is bogus? It's only supposed to cover price drops in the 48 hours after you pay your deposit. From OP's timeline they honored the drop the day after he booked. It was subsequent drops that they refused to fully cover.

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/best-price-guarantee#bestprice

Or are you talking about a different price guarantee?

Edited by havenfan