Tours

Whirlwind1995

you will get vendors offering trips on the day at the dock gate. However my advice would be to check the tours available at each location via the internet and then look at the reviews of them here on Cruise Critic.

You won't go wrong then, as they are all tried and tested and so much cheaper than the cruise lines tours. Hope this helps?

Hi guys just wondering am going carridean am I best booking my trips at the ports and do you have to pre book or can you book on the day

Good advice give. On our cruise so far we have one p and O one, and one private one. The private one , we read all the reviews for the different companies , and picked the one we liked best. We have paid a deposit, and pay balance when we meet up (I think).

The others we will either wander round on our own, or possibly pick a tour when there.

We are going in next Feb and I have already booked two non p&o excursions. Do the research now. Check tripadvisor for the companies doing excursions and activities on each island.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi guys just wondering am going carridean am I best booking my trips at the ports and do you have to pre book or can you book on the day

Been a few times now and every port is different. We use local buses a lot but also join group tours or walk into town but never really do ship's tours. There are few islands with anything important to see so we just find the best thing is to enjoy the sunshine and get a flavour of the island you're visiting. Which islands are you going to?

Hi, I am also visiting those islands. This will be my 3rd cruise. The first one we prebooked tours and the 2nd one we waited till we got off the ship and used a waiting taxi. I much preferred having a tour booked as we got more out of our days. For our upcoming February cruise, I've researched the ports of call pages on here and trip advisor and booked operators who are highly recommended.

Have a look at Bumpiing tours in Dominica, Cosol in St Lucia, Greys island excursions in St Kitts, and Lawrence of Antigua.

Antigua St Kitts Dominica St Lucia grand Turk St martins Tortola Barbados

Haven't been to all these ports but have been to most so this is what I'd do as a first-times.

Antigua - Local bus to Nelsons Dockyard at English Harbour

St Kitts - Have a Caribbean lunch at El Fredo's Or visit Brimstone Fort and Sugar train

St Lucia - Cosol Tours (but take travel sickness tablets as the roads are very twisty)

St Martins - Get water taxi to town from cruise port and look round then some time on beach OR get local bus to Marigot for French market.

Tortola - As you get to the end of the quay, you will see lots of Caribbean style open-top trucks which hold about 16 people. You can take a tour of the island with time at Cane Gardens beach. Great trip.

Barbados - Day at The Boatyard or take local bus to one of the lovely beaches.

Happy to give more details about local buses if you're interested

• 2 weeks later...
Antigua St Kitts Dominica St Lucia grand Turk St martins Tortola Barbados

Haven't been to all these ports but have been to most so this is what I'd do as a first-times.

Antigua - Local bus to Nelsons Dockyard at English Harbour

St Kitts - Have a Caribbean lunch at El Fredo's Or visit Brimstone Fort and Sugar train

St Lucia - Cosol Tours (but take travel sickness tablets as the roads are very twisty)

St Martins - Get water taxi to town from cruise port and look round then some time on beach OR get local bus to Marigot for French market.

Tortola - As you get to the end of the quay, you will see lots of Caribbean style open-top trucks which hold about 16 people. You can take a tour of the island with time at Cane Gardens beach. Great trip.

Barbados - Day at The Boatyard or take local bus to one of the lovely beaches.

Happy to give more details about local buses if you're interested

Sorry been away but hope this helps:

In Antigua, the bus terminal is right opposite the main market and craft market and both will be on your map. We took the #22 and it goes from the bus terminal in St John's to the last stop, right outside Nelson's Harbour. The van driver waits till it is full and we were on the bus for 20 minutes before it left but it was interesting people watching. if you want to go to any of the other beaches to the South just ask at the kiosk in the terminal and they'll tell you which bus to take.

Barbados- There is a bus terminal on the left about 400 yards up the main road from the port and from there you can get a bus to the North of the island - Sandy Lane etc. The buses are mainly mini-vans. If you want to go to the South of the island, you need to walk into town and the bus terminal is behind Independence Square, by the main bridge in the centre.

You pay as you get off - usually about $1.50.

Hope that helps

Edited by tartanexile81