Cayo Levantado

smj

Cayo Levantado is a small island in the harbor of Samana, Dominican Republic. At one time one could tender to the mainland and go to the town independently. But on recent years the tenders go only to the island, and the only way to get to the mainland is to take a shop tour.

The island itself consists of a private resort and a public beach, with some carefully controlled craft vendors. The first time we were there, in 1980, we landed on the north side and had a hair raising taxi ride to Samana and a ride in a rickety wooden cabin cruiser to the island, where swarms kids begged to sell fake crafts. The second time, in 2006, we walked partway to town until we were so pestered by kids and old men trying to sell us conch shells we turned around and went back to the ship. The last time, in 2010, was the first time one could not tender to the mainland, not that we wanted to. We went to the island, spent about 1/2 hour and returned to the ship.

If you like sitting on a beach, you'll like it. There may now be some more interesting ship tours. But, if we never go back, it will be too soon. Many cruise lines go there; they must have very low port fees.

Sent from my XT1031 using Forums mobile app

Hi,

We have been there twice (one time too many). The first time was when cruise ships first started calling on Samana. We could see this beautiful white sand beach and palm treed island in the short distance from town but there was no (safe) way to get there. The town was very run down and we were advised by Oceania to remove our jewelry if getting off the ship. There were military police with weapons walking the streets and lots of children trying to sell you something.

The island of Samana was very lush and could be quit beautiful, but at the time there was a lot of trash in the water and really dirty streets. They were in the process of building some little shops along the waterfront which might have turned out to be nice.

The second time we tendered to the little white sand island Cayo Levantado. They had lunch on the island and beach chairs. It was nice to just relax and there were only a few people selling items on the beach at that time, but that probably has changed.

Some people took a ship snorkle tour, but it was pretty unorganized from what we heard. I would not advise taking local tours there, as there was absolutely no safety regulations in place and we were discouraged from even leaving the dock area. So my advice is stick to the island of Caya Levantado and enjoy some sun and sand.

We were on the Riviera. We took the tender over to Cayo Levantado. Took one look at it and stayed on the tender and went back to the ship. The ship was infinitely more attractive than Cayo Levantado... But we hate "folklorique" sorts of things. So if all you want is a beach and rum then maybe spend a couple of hours?

We took a ship's tour for a visit to a cave and paddled kayaks. We enjoyed it.

We had a wonderful day in Los Haites National Park. We were picked up at the ship by the speedboat - the ship was anchored offshore since there is no cruiseport. A longish boatride (about 45minutes) took us to some bird islands were we saw pelicans, frigate birds and turkey vultures. Then we went to a cave system with a Taino engraving and a rock painting.

Then kayaking in the mangrove area of brackish water. We saw and heard more birds and heard about the importance of mangroves.We all enjoyed it.

Note though - I would bring a towel for the rear kayaker who must steer. No backrest or support.

On the return journey we were plied with rum and coke or neat rum! This area is beautiful and the tour staff were great (cs adventures).

We were there in Jan. 2010. Normally we don't take organized excursions, but there didn't seem to be much to do on your own there, so we did. It was a horseback ride that I will never forget. It started to rain, hard, and the trails were pretty slippery. Quite honestly, I don't scare easily, but I found it scary. I was also surprised that Oceania actually offered this excursion, as normally they don't offer some of the sketchier, almost a little dangerous ones, that other cruise lines tend to offer. Perhaps it would have been OK without the rain, but that day the weather just did NOT cooperate, and when the rain started, it came down HARD. At one point we had to ford a stream and the water was up to the top of my feet as they dangled below me. The waterfall we were taken to, however, was absolutely stunning (El Limon). I won't soon forget rounding a curve and there it was in all its splendor. I wanted to take a picture but couldn't risk ruining my camera. You could swim beneath it, but the day was just so miserable that I ended up just sitting in an area waiting for it to be time to go. If you take this tour (if it's even offered) I would suggest checking the weather forecast the day of the excursion to see if rain is forecast and if so, perhaps go, but see if you can sit on the bus if it's really bad once you get to the horse place. In any case, don't pay for a "CD" of the ride. My CD did have a picture of me, on the outside of a CD case, but inside there was no CD. I'm not sure if that was what everyone got or was supposed to get or what, but I don't know what possessed me to buy the silly thing. Then it was back on the bus to go back, with a short stop at a little cigar factory, which was mildly interesting. On the bus ride, you get glimpses of how some of the people in the countryside live. I'll just say that it's not too well.

After the excursion, and after the rain stopped, I walked around the little town of Samana. There wasn't much to see or do but I like to take pictures so I just had to look around. I (female, around 50 at the time) was not bothered by anyone. There were some shops (and vendors) but I'm not a shopper, so I passed on those.

When I first got off the ship, a guy offered me a ride to the beach, but I wasn't interested, and he looked a little sketchy anyway, so I passed on that as well.

In any case, I don't know if I'd go as far as recommending that everyone stay on the ship. However, for many people, that may be the best option. Then again, perhaps I just didn't look hard enough to find excursions out of Cayo L and on to somewhere more interesting. What Tansy Mews did sounds good! I should say that at least the whole area was gorgeous - lots of huge palm trees. But the opportunities for enjoying the place as a port stop were certainly limited as far as I could tell. Then again, I suppose if you just want a beach and sun, you won't necessarily care. If you want a little more, I would suggest the "Mayan Mystique" cruise!

Edited by roothy123