Royal: If you want to charge premium prices, go back to giving a premium product

LMaxwell

Please remember that if you state any of this on your comment e-survey, it will go against the crew member or the ship. Good and very good count as bad on a ship and are a strike against whoever you say it about. They only get positive credit when the feedback is excellent. Are you able to say excellent about these things in your post cruise comments?

Sorry, I don't play the game. If something is good or very good I'll say so. If they strive for excellent and good is not good enough, they will see there is room for improvement. This is not to single out any employee in a negative manner but if they give me a survey they'll get honest feedback.

I have, and will, continue to name excellent employees specifically, and if I dealt with a bad one I'd take it up with management onboard to correct the situation and not look to hurt their living/earning potential; but I'm not going to mark all excellent just for the sake of it.

Getting a little sick of service industries pitting guests versus staff if things are not excellent, 10, 5 gold stars.

Sorry, I don't play the game. If something is good or very good I'll say so. If they strive for excellent and good is not good enough, they will see there is room for improvement. This is not to single out any employee in a negative manner but if they give me a survey they'll get honest feedback.

I have, and will, continue to name excellent employees specifically, and if I dealt with a bad one I'd take it up with management onboard to correct the situation and not look to hurt their living/earning potential; but I'm not going to mark all excellent just for the sake of it.

Getting a little sick of service industries pitting guests versus staff if things are not excellent, 10, 5 gold stars.

I don't think you should do anything other than what you are doing.

I was responding to the idea that people think the premium pricing is fine and then say things are good or very good. For premium pricing, I'd expect nearly total excellence.

I never said you should say everything is excellent if it's not. But I also think people need to know that good or very good isn't good enough in the evaluation of a ship or her crew.

For good or very good service...I'd expect lower pricing. I'm actually one of those who is in support of your thoughts on the matter.

Or maybe you don't think I was saying you should play the game. No, I wasn't saying that at all.

Okay, now I am confused :confused:

Considering that ships offer more than they ever did in the past, and taking inflation, not to mention the exorbitant costs of fuel and maintenance into account, cruises cost LESS than they did 20 years ago.

A "premium" price? Err.. check out grill class on Cunard or Aqua class on Celebrity. Now, those are premium prices for a true premium product.

Okay, now I am confused :confused:

Considering that ships offer more than they ever did in the past, and taking inflation, not to mention the exorbitant costs of fuel and maintenance into account, cruises cost LESS than they did 20 years ago.

A "premium" price? Err.. check out grill class on Cunard or Aqua class on Celebrity. Now, those are premium prices for a true premium product.

You are a very well traveled person and your posts always interesting but I don't believe you have cruised Royal Caribbean and as such you don't have the perspective as to what they were and what they have become.

Yes Cunard is a premium position product at a premium cost. But I wouldn't call Cunard a mainstream line. Among mainstream lines RCI used to be several cuts higher than its competition, and you paid a higher price for that as well. You received top notch service. and while the staff today strive to personally do their best, the cards are stacked against them. Too few staff to give consistent excellent service. But they do try hard to please. But being shorthanded and trying hard isn't the same as great service. Great service means a staff with the resources to provide that service. Those resources cost money.

If Royals goal is to increase the average fare per guest I would hope and expect that some of that increase go towards better service, improved food, return of amenities and features included in the base price of days past. Yes I will pay more to get more. If they only want to increase the avg cost per guest but not provide a premium experience over other lines then what's the point? The value proposition sadly erodes.

I don't think you should do anything other than what you are doing.

I was responding to the idea that people think the premium pricing is fine and then say things are good or very good. For premium pricing, I'd expect nearly total excellence.

I never said you should say everything is excellent if it's not. But I also think people need to know that good or very good isn't good enough in the evaluation of a ship or her crew.

For good or very good service...I'd expect lower pricing. I'm actually one of those who is in support of your thoughts on the matter.

Or maybe you don't think I was saying you should play the game. No, I wasn't saying that at all.

I think you and I are in basic agreement and of a similar thought. [emoji106]

I have not cruised on any other cruise line but have "looked around" at info on their web sites. I live fairly close to RC's "Port Liberty" in NJ (Bayonne) which really was a GOLD MINE of an idea for them to lease that property! "Explorer of the Seas" just did her last NJ to NJ cruise out of there (I was on it) from 10/23-11/1 and left today for a Caribbean Cruise and "repositioning" to Port Canaveral.

Despite her age? the Ship was in good shape I thought overall...some of the MDR chairs were getting pretty threadbare though and a few things like that but overall, the ship is still holding up well. Quantum will take Explorer's place at Cape Liberty for a while and then "Liberty of the Seas" will be the regular ship cruising out of this port.

As CONVENIENT as this port has been, HOWEVER, I feel RC has gone DOWNHILL in the 12 years I've been sailing out on the line. We do not sail every year but have taken 8 or 9 cruises on the line (total)...at first it was "little things"...no chocolates in the pillows, OK! not a big deal. BUT THEN...they changed the CROWN & ANCHOR system from "number of cruises" to a points system. People in Florida living near 3-4 Ports could easily take short cruises and get to 10 Cruises/DIAMOND status whereas folks like me would have to add the cost of flying to FL to do so, etc. Now? you have to have 80 "points" for Diamond status.

Also? my Stateroom Attendant was great but seemed tired and like he had a lot of rooms to clean, including several suites which would take longer to vacuum, etc. (I gave him a break quite a few times as I honestly needed nothing! only had both services a few days.) But...now? those nice plastic bags that used to be in the rooms for miscellaneous things? they aren't there anymore either.

At dinner on this last Explorer cruise, everyone noticed a lot of LITTLE THINGS...will we DIE without chocolates on our pillows, plastic bags, or a changed CROWN & ANCHOR system, No MN Buffet, higher drink prices, etc.?? NO...of course not! But add the higher fares, decreased quality of food (the Windjammer on this cruise I just got off was really bad/disorganized!), paying for sodas, and a bunch of other "little things"?? My advice to RC is this:

STOP WITH ALL THESE SHIPS that you now obviously have to PAY FOR!! REFURB/UPDATE your existing ships and put more emphasis on your PASSENGERS/CUSTOMER SERVICE/PERKS once again!!!!

Surely RC makes a TON of $$$$ on their alcohol sales, their "cut" of excursions, and all the other stuff they sell onboard!!

Edited by Alleycat1027

RCI is a Business and of course they are rightly focused on their shareholders and their main Goal is to please the shareholders.

Pleasing any customers is only a way to sell their product but not top of their Agenda. It´s just an Instrument to please shareholders.

As Long as they can Charge the Price they want with giving as Little as possible they will do.

All the whining about lost things and willing to pay higher Prices will fall on deaf ears, as Long as those ships are still sailing full.

Only if People stop booking they Need to either lower the Price and cut cost or see if they can generate higher Prices with additional Services.

Being a mass market line they Need to cater to the masses and the masses will not be willing to pay more to get a midnight buffet or other stuff.

I agree there is always a breaking Point when the Service gets low enough to for People People willing to pay the Price. However this Point is very individual and while OP might be willing to pay a Little more for the mentioned things, the "masses" are not.

So stop whining about it and vote with your wallet.

Agree with you, but would add one thing, RCL isn't just competing against land vacations, they're competing against other cruise companies, some that don't have stockholders, and boards of directors to make happy like privately owned MSC and NCL!

RCL is blowing smoke if they think cruisers will remain loyal while other cruise lines offer now, and in the future a competitive cruise experience for less money!:eek:

The new cruise ship concepts coming out of NCL with the Breakaway/Getaway ships, and MSC with their Fantasia class, along with the 4 ships MSC has scheduled for delivery in the next 4 years that are larger then RCL's new Quantum are examples that RCL will have plenty of competition in the future forcing them to keep their prices in line!:D

Apperently you haven't done your homework..:rolleyes: Go back check some of the RCL prices for cruises the end of this year and into next year and you will see some amazing values for RCL cruises. Your comments honestly have zero merit, sorry.

As big and grand as the Oasis and Allure are, my most memorable RCCL ship was the Monarch of the Seas. What a beautiful ship. Small, yet grand in its opulence. This ship was memorable to me because it represented the pinnacle of Royal Caribbean's outstanding service. The MDR food was fantastic.

I remember this ship well because it remains, to this day, the only cruise ship I have ever been on where all you had to do was "look" at a poolside bartender and BAM, they were right there taking your poolside drink order. As a guest (not a customer) you were waited on hand and foot. If there was anything, and I mean ANYTHING you didn't like, all you had to do was ask and BAM, done, with a smile.

I remember asking our head waiter once about two different options on the menu, his response? "I'll let you decide, I'll bring you both". Do they still do that?

A guest in a cabin next to ours stepped out into the hallway and asked his Cabin Steward where he could get some matches and without hesitation, the Cabin Steward said "wait right here, I'll be right back". BAM, in less than 60 seconds the Steward had returned with a lighter. (you could smoke on balconies back then).

This kind of service went on all over the ship. Is the service the same today as it once was? Not even close. Food? Nope.

On the Monarch, it was clear that we were welcomed guests. We don't get that feeling on Oasis/Allure, as we felt more like paying customers. This does not stop us from cruising, though. It's still the best bang for the buck out there and we've been loyal to RCCL since the beginning. We will continue to be loyal but to be honest, we're going to stick to the smaller ships.

As big and grand as the Oasis and Allure are, my most memorable RCCL ship was the Monarch of the Seas. What a beautiful ship. Small, yet grand in its opulence. This ship was memorable to me because it represented the pinnacle of Royal Caribbean's outstanding service. The MDR food was fantastic.

I remember this ship well because it remains, to this day, the only cruise ship I have ever been on where all you had to do was "look" at a poolside bartender and BAM, they were right there taking your poolside drink order. As a guest (not a customer) you were waited on hand and foot. If there was anything, and I mean ANYTHING you didn't like, all you had to do was ask and BAM, done, with a smile.

I remember asking our head waiter once about two different options on the menu, his response? "I'll let you decide, I'll bring you both". Do they still do that?

A guest in a cabin next to ours stepped out into the hallway and asked his Cabin Steward where he could get some matches and without hesitation, the Cabin Steward said "wait right here, I'll be right back". BAM, in less than 60 seconds the Steward had returned with a lighter. (you could smoke on balconies back then).

This kind of service went on all over the ship. Is the service the same today as it once was? Not even close. Food? Nope.

On the Monarch, it was clear that we were welcomed guests. We don't get that feeling on Oasis/Allure, as we felt more like paying customers. This does not stop us from cruising, though. It's still the best bang for the buck out there and we've been loyal to RCCL since the beginning. We will continue to be loyal but to be honest, we're going to stick to the smaller ships.

I had the opposite experience on the same ship - a few times. It was at the bottom of my happy ship list. I felt like the bartenders and bar servers had a chip on their shoulders and weren't very friendly. I looked around and saw officers jumping through hoops for their regular guests - the locals who showed up all the time. Those who cruised her often aren't the best judge of service as they were treated differently. The way I judge a ship is how it feels the first time I go on. Is the crew responsive to the first time guest on board? I didn't get that with feeling Monarch. Not a bit. Now with Vision of the Seas? Yes, first time was a charm - with a charming crew and officers.

Apperently you haven't done your homework..:rolleyes: Go back check some of the RCL prices for cruises the end of this year and into next year and you will see some amazing values for RCL cruises. Your comments honestly have zero merit, sorry.

You are talking about last minute prices. Most people aren't in a position to book and cruise at the last minute like that. Richard Fein has just stated they won't be doing this last minute discounting after the new year begins...we'll see how that turns out for him.

You are talking about last minute prices. Most people aren't in a position to book and cruise at the last minute like that. Richard Fein has just stated they won't be doing this last minute discounting after the new year begins...we'll see how that turns out for him.

I don't remember reading anywhere that there is a TIMETABLE for the implementation that they won't be doing 'last minute deals' close to sail date to fill unsold cabins.

I kinda agree on the small ship preference.

However I think Service Levels have more to do with individuals and Overall ships mangement than with the size of a ship.

My example would be my recent two weeks on the Oasis, where I had exactly the cabin Steward you described. He was absolutely great and would hurry to do whatever you asked him for. Always friendly with a great attitude and I had lots of nice Little conversations with him. Was he busy with his Job - for sure, was he giving me the idea of being overworked - no way. Nothing was too much trouble for him.

It just Shows you can get this Kind of Service on a ship like Oasis.

I had the opposite experience on the same ship - a few times. It was at the bottom of my happy ship list. I felt like the bartenders and bar servers had a chip on their shoulders and weren't very friendly. I looked around and saw officers jumping through hoops for their regular guests - the locals who showed up all the time. Those who cruised her often aren't the best judge of service as they were treated differently. The way I judge a ship is how it feels the first time I go on. Is the crew responsive to the first time guest on board? I didn't get that with feeling Monarch. Not a bit. Now with Vision of the Seas? Yes, first time was a charm - with a charming crew and officers.

For crew members who are unhappy (for whatever reason -- personal or worklife or ???) it has to be very difficult to just put on a happy demeanor for guests. How hard is it for the average worker who has an 8 hour work day to do it -- at least they go home to a family that hopefully loves them unabashedly.

Frequent cruisers recognized by staff -- unless someone cruises so so frequently on one ship, it would amaze me if MANY are treated differently, just for the reason you point out. We had it happen once, and we had kept in touch with that staff member between cruises and they knew beforehand we were going to be onboard a particular cruise with them. Not the norm, is my guess -- Super Mario, is the biggest exception, I am sure.

I do believe that as ships get bigger and bigger it makes it much more difficult for staff to recognize people even on one sailing. Just more cruisers and more activities to manage.

Just like I say to my co-workers....it isn't so difficult to smile and nod and say a fast hello to a passing customer as you are on your way to do something. If the customer needs/wants something they will stop you because you have been a little open with them. Does it make the customer feel better....just acknowledged which can go a long way.

Paulxyz; I'm sorry you don't believe in expression of ones opinions of likes and dislikes. This is the Royal Caribbean forum and everyone should be allowed to state their opinions and reasons for those opinions. It's a shame to have anything but positive opinions labeled as "whining". Sorry, I'm not a bend over and take whatever they feel like giving kind of person. If something is great, I say it is great. If something needs improvement, I say it needs improvement. If I came here demanding changes and saying this sucks, that sucks, I hate it, blah, blah, blah, your comment may be warranted.

Voting with your wallet is not the only way to get change. If Royal stopped receiving my dollars, but didn't know WHY, there's no potential for improvements. They read these boards and discuss them, surely someone within the organization might realize they are getting closer to a tipping point with long time loyal customers. Maybe they don't care? Can't say. I'm glad you had great service on Oasis. The service I had last year on Allure, apart from a great room steward, was middling and had it been my first cruise I'd be wondering about all this great service people talk about.

I'll be cruising on the Enchantment over NYE in a few weeks. First time sailing over NYE, and second time on RCI (sailed Freedom of the Seas in 2009).

WE usually sail in November, and I have sailed HAL, Celebrity, Princess, RCI, NCL (twice) and sailed smaller ships (Zuiderdam) to the Epic. Each ship has its own pros and cons, and I have enjoyed every single cruise.

This will be the first time sailing for less than 7 days, but the price isn't less for sure! (I know it's because of both the high season and the holiday).

I will for sure pay attention to the small things this time and see if I notice any decline. Even if I do, I'm sure I'll have a great time celebrating the New Year at sea with friends.

I never said you would not be allowed to post whatever you like and I never said one shouldn´t express ones opinions. I just did with my post, so why should I not believe in it?

I have my doubts the CC boards have such a huge impact in RCI´s decisions, but just in case I do express my opnions here and part of that was my Response. The more People disagree with your opinion the better it Shows RCI you are in the minority here. See how I believe in expressing an opinion?

I agree with you that RCI Needs to know why you are Walking away when it happens, but that would be best done in a direct communication with them, rather than an anonymous post on a message board. But hey from what I got from your Posts I got the Impression that you don´t have any Intention to walk away from RCI at this Point, hence my comment about voting with your wallet.

I never said anything negative was whining. There are valid complaints on These boards quite frequently which I would never Label whining, just as I don´t Label anything positive as cheerleading like many others do.

I Chose the whining very carefully accordingly to your post and Statement and I fully stand by this.

RCI is a Business and of course they are rightly focused on their shareholders and their main Goal is to please the shareholders.

Pleasing any customers is only a way to sell their product but not top of their Agenda. It´s just an Instrument to please shareholders.

As Long as they can Charge the Price they want with giving as Little as possible they will do.

All the whining about lost things and willing to pay higher Prices will fall on deaf ears, as Long as those ships are still sailing full.

Only if People stop booking they Need to either lower the Price and cut cost or see if they can generate higher Prices with additional Services.

Being a mass market line they Need to cater to the masses and the masses will not be willing to pay more to get a midnight buffet or other stuff.

I agree there is always a breaking Point when the Service gets low enough to for People People willing to pay the Price. However this Point is very individual and while OP might be willing to pay a Little more for the mentioned things, the "masses" are not.

So stop whining about it and vote with your wallet.

It doesn't matter why it is that a company chooses to try to please its customers but the fact is, whether they like it or not, it is a necessary part of being a successful business.

I have said before that RCI is sometimes a victim of its own successes. The company tries very hard to make its customers feel like they are part of the family and when you step aboard their ship it is like you are returning home. This is how they appeal to customer emotions and foster brand loyalty. This causes customers to forget, or never realize, that to a corporation such as RCI we are nothing more than a business relationship. To RCI we are all nothing more than C&A numbers that, very importatly, own credit cards. It is this emotional connection that RCI fosters really well and that leads people to often times not take well the business decisions that RCI makes.

Unfortunately for RCI when people develope emotional connections they sometimes take disappointments personally. But it also can work in RCI's favor in that people who feel connected may tolerate more in the way of disappointment before they do actually speak with their wallets and go somewhere else. The key, as you said, is to find that breaking point. However, I don't feel that people posting about what would improve the RCI experience for them makes them, also as you said, whiners. All they are doing is stating what would improve the product for them without having to go looking some where else to find it. I don't see anything wrong with that.

EDIT: and I see that you have also better explained your thought process in the post of yours that appears above mine.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I have said before that RCI is sometimes a victim of its own successes. The company tries very hard to make its customers feel like they are part of the family and when you step aboard their ship it is like you are returning home. This is how they appeal to customer emotions and foster brand loyalty. This causes customers to forget, or never realize, that to a corporation such as RCI we are nothing more than a business relationship. To RCI we are all nothing more than C&A numbers that, very importatly, own credit cards. It is this emotional connection that RCI fosters really well and that leads people to often times not take well the business decisions that RCI makes.

Unfortunately for RCI when people develope emotional connections they sometimes take disappointments personally. But it also can work in RCI's favor in that people who feel connected may tolerate more in the way of disappointment before they do actually speak with their wallets and go somewhere else. The key, as you said, is to find that breaking point.

Very well said.

It doesn't matter why it is that a company chooses to try to please its customers but the fact is, whether they like it or not, it is a necessary part of being a successful business.

Unfortunately for RCI when people develope emotional connections they sometimes take disappointments personally. But it also can work in RCI's favor in that people who feel connected may tolerate more in the way of disappointment before they do actually speak with their wallets and go somewhere else. The key, as you said, is to find that breaking point. However, I don't feel that people posting about what would improve the RCI experience for them makes them, also as you said, whiners. All they are doing is stating what would improve the product for them without having to go looking some where else to find it. I don't see anything wrong with that.

This made me laugh in a good way. It brought back memories of a favorite captain; one who keeps us coming back again and again.

He says at the end of the cruise during his last noon announcement, "We hope you've enjoyed giving us the business, as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride".

Name that captain! :)

And you are correct - that is exactly how most of us feel when we board the ship...home. (Although lately when I look around, I feel like a burglar was there before me. Where's my stuff? Did a mouse eat my chocolate? A kid swiped my pen? A drought killed the flowers? ;) )

How can Royal say they will hold the line on last minute deals, while on the other side they continually cheapen the experience; less staff / more overloaded and overworked, declines in food quality, increases in paid venues, now even removing access to formally public areas of the ship.

HEY ROYAL - Listen up! Some of us are willing to pay these higher prices but we want access throughout the ship, we want sufficient staff to have good service, we want quality improvements in food and a return to some such things as midnight buffets (once a cruise would be nice), better MDR food. You want to charge me for it? FINE. But don't continually chip away at the service and experience and expect to charge me more and somehow convince me I'm getting a premium product because the price is higher without anything of value in return.

The erosion of basics "included" in the fare has been especially noticeable over the past five years or so. I get it, it's a race to the bottom in a competitive industry with a lot of berths to fill. No, I will not pay Cunard prices for RCI. I will pay more for RCI than MSC, Carnival, NCL though provided it is a premium product in comparison to those lines. The distinction is getting difficult however.

Don't let the "critics" on cruise critic deter you with their pontificating, dismissive replies. You are absolutely correct, especially as to your comments on dining quality. MDR quality is way down over the last five years. Windjammer is approaching the level of disgraceful, especially at breakfast and lunch. I have commented on this previously. There are of course voyages that can present better dining than the "trend" but the trend downward is a fact. Rationalizing that this is simply "mainstream" cruising and that no one is forcing "you" to book on RCI as some on here suggest are respectfully, replies that are not responsive in the least. By the way, the trend is now seen on Celebrity as well.

For crew members who are unhappy (for whatever reason -- personal or worklife or ???) it has to be very difficult to just put on a happy demeanor for guests. How hard is it for the average worker who has an 8 hour work day to do it -- at least they go home to a family that hopefully loves them unabashedly.

Frequent cruisers recognized by staff -- unless someone cruises so so frequently on one ship, it would amaze me if MANY are treated differently, just for the reason you point out. We had it happen once, and we had kept in touch with that staff member between cruises and they knew beforehand we were going to be onboard a particular cruise with them. Not the norm, is my guess -- Super Mario, is the biggest exception, I am sure.

I do believe that as ships get bigger and bigger it makes it much more difficult for staff to recognize people even on one sailing. Just more cruisers and more activities to manage.

Just like I say to my co-workers....it isn't so difficult to smile and nod and say a fast hello to a passing customer as you are on your way to do something. If the customer needs/wants something they will stop you because you have been a little open with them. Does it make the customer feel better....just acknowledged which can go a long way.

Which is why I'm ALWAYS willing to cut crew members some slack. I've said this same thing, we don't know what many are going though. And sometimes we do when they actually feel safe enough to unload.

But I just never felt comfortable overall on Monarch. It was a widespread un-wow attitude I noticed. So many say just the opposite about that ship. But they truly were regulars on board. VERY regular. It was perceived as a clique.

By the way, the trend is now seen on Celebrity as well.

I have done a LOT of reading of the Celebrity forum. It would be logical to go to Celebrity for a step up, and have our Diamond RCI perks transfer as well, but every time I read that forum it is like the apocalypse. Lots of negativity and disappointment in changes.

Eventually one of these mainstream mid-market lines will wise up and take everything back up a notch or two. Prices too I would suspect. It may buck the current trend of slash and burn in the name of share price, but whichever company can stick to it should reap the rewards with higher average fares and new found loyalties.

Paulxyz; I'm sorry you don't believe in expression of ones opinions of likes and dislikes. This is the Royal Caribbean forum and everyone should be allowed to state their opinions and reasons for those opinions. It's a shame to have anything but positive opinions labeled as "whining". Sorry, I'm not a bend over and take whatever they feel like giving kind of person. If something is great, I say it is great. If something needs improvement, I say it needs improvement. If I came here demanding changes and saying this sucks, that sucks, I hate it, blah, blah, blah, your comment may be warranted.

Voting with your wallet is not the only way to get change. If Royal stopped receiving my dollars, but didn't know WHY, there's no potential for improvements. They read these boards and discuss them, surely someone within the organization might realize they are getting closer to a tipping point with long time loyal customers. Maybe they don't care? Can't say. I'm glad you had great service on Oasis. The service I had last year on Allure, apart from a great room steward, was middling and had it been my first cruise I'd be wondering about all this great service people talk about.

Yes, very close!!!

We went on Allure for the first time in Sept. We were shocked at what a fabulous experience we had on such a large ship. It was much more personal in service than we noticed on Oasis - overall. We got around a lot more with our pre-loaded drinks on our card, yet the ship had that small ship feel and attitude that we like on Radiance and Vision class. This shows how very different people perceive a ship. It's all about when you go, who's on board, and being at the right place at the right time. We are eager to do it all again on that ship - if the price is right. ;)

Eventually one of these mainstream mid-market lines will wise up and take everything back up a notch or two. Prices too I would suspect. It may buck the current trend of slash and burn in the name of share price, but whichever company can stick to it should reap the rewards with higher average fares and new found loyalties.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44599521#post44599521