New steakhouse selections in MDR

BrwnEyedGirl35

I have never heard of paying upcharge of $20 in MDR for steak? Is that something new? I know we enjoy the flat iron steak. We ate in Steakhouse on Liberty on our very first cruise and were NOT impressed. There were others in the dining steak house that same night that did not enjoy their meal either. The chef came out to talk to each table, and we said we weren't that fond of our food. He didn't say that much. We are not used to fine dining, and hoped the experience would be amazing. We have never gone to the steak house since. Probably won't ever give it the 2nd try. I like the choices in the MDR and don't find it worth it to go to the steakhouse. (not even for the atmosphere.) Tables were as close together as in the MDR! (Plus they do charge the corkage fee when bringing in your bottle of wine you took on board) ... where they don't in the MDR.. (or we have never been charged the corkage fee in teh MDR).

Here is something to think about...

If my dw wants a steak and I am willing to eat anything off the MD menu, then it's a great idea for her to pay $20 for her to be happy. I believe that the steak from the steakhouse would be a better quality than the flat iron steak in the MD.

I'm planning on ordering lamb chops from the steakhouse on the night it's offered in the MDR, as it's not on the regular MDR menu and it's my favorite thing from the steakhouse.:)

On longer cruises (8 days or more) you should see lamb offered one night in the MDR on the regular menu.

Off the standard menu on our 8 day Alaska cruise in September

DSC_1029_Zyde.jpg

Is it on the menu in the menu of steakhouse items available in the MDR? My understanding is not the entire menu is on the menu in the MDR ..

Yes. Cruises now have at least 2 EveryDay menus. Lamb is available on the first elegant night and perhaps later. On elegant night, the steakhouse lobster selections are not available.

Is it on the menu in the menu of steakhouse items available in the MDR? My understanding is not the entire menu is on the menu in the MDR ..

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It is, one night, on the MDR menu I've seen for the Glory.

Edited by patrice1

I have yet to see a ribeye on the Steakhouse Selections in the MDR, but perhaps they added it. That would be a bonus! The NY Strip I had was excellent.

I really enjoyed the Surf and Turf and the lobster was far superior to what was on the regular MDR menu. The filet was about the same size as the filet on the regular MDR menu, but again, was a superior piece of meat.

It was NY strip then. She agreed it was excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never heard of paying upcharge of $20 in MDR for steak? Is that something new? I know we enjoy the flat iron steak. We ate in Steakhouse on Liberty on our very first cruise and were NOT impressed. There were others in the dining steak house that same night that did not enjoy their meal either. The chef came out to talk to each table, and we said we weren't that fond of our food. He didn't say that much. We are not used to fine dining, and hoped the experience would be amazing. We have never gone to the steak house since. Probably won't ever give it the 2nd try. I like the choices in the MDR and don't find it worth it to go to the steakhouse. (not even for the atmosphere.) Tables were as close together as in the MDR! (Plus they do charge the corkage fee when bringing in your bottle of wine you took on board) ... where they don't in the MDR.. (or we have never been charged the corkage fee in teh MDR).

It's not a charge just to get a steak in general which is free. It's for a main dish only with a more expensive cut of meat. Meat can be more tender at times, just like at the supermarket where not every piece of meat is identical.

We ordered the steak on the Fascination last week(she doesn't have a steakhouse), it was awesome, cooked the way we like, came out hot, but big steak. I thought worth it. Have been to steakhouses on other ships, food is good, service is great, but portions are so large, I always felt too stuffed. Just the steak in the dining room with shrimp cocktail and salad, perfect.

They also offered lamb chops for $20 on formal night and no lobster on the menu.

For us it was worth it.

We ordered the steak on the Fascination last week(she doesn't have a steakhouse), it was awesome, cooked the way we like, came out hot, but big steak. I thought worth it. Have been to steakhouses on other ships, food is good, service is great, but portions are so large, I always felt too stuffed. Just the steak in the dining room with shrimp cocktail and salad, perfect.

They also offered lamb chops for $20 on Elegant Night and no lobster on the menu.

For us it was worth it.

I ordered the suf and turf on the sunshine October 17th cruise. The tail was bigger and tastier than the MDR one, but the filet was very small and was not impressed with that. I should have ordered the filet alone.

The other nights, the MDR food was very good.in my opinion, better than the Breeze last year.

The Steakhouse Selections are additional choices for a surcharge of $20 per entree

Order 2 entrees and it's $40, 3 would be $60 and so on.

The entire Steakhouse menu is not available, just a few items each night

Here are actual menus (including pics) with the Steakhouse Selections for each night from Zydecocruiser's Sept. '14 Miracle cruise.

7 Day MDR Menus with Steakhouse Selections and Pics

He has a lot of Carnival menus including specialty restaurants, bars, room service, etc. on his site in the following link.

Carnival Menus Galore!

Edited by PresDuLac

Is the charge in the MDR only on ships that don't have a steakhouse? I have never seen a menu in the Main Dining Room that had charges for entrees. I'm so confused.?

They are an extra choice in addition to all the items that are on the regular menus and strictly optional.

The steakhouse is tremendous. If you are one who feels if it's free no reason to pay for something else, then the best dinner in the world probably wouldn't be worth it to you, nothing wrong with that.

We enjoy great restaurants and the meal we had on the Dream in the steakhouse was worth more than what they charge. I got the last reservation for the first sea night on our upcoming cruise. I had wanted the fourth day out but that was booked. I'm guessing it is getting to be a popular add on.

We dined at the Dream Steakhouse last year and YES, we loved it too - couldn't wait to do it again when we were on the Breeze.. I loved everything about the Breeze, except the Steakhouse... :( My DH had the filet mignon and said it was very good, I had the Rib Eye which was was tough and we also found that tables were too close together... hope you have a better experience than us.. :D

We just disembarked the Splendor today. DH ordered the lobster from the steakhouse selection because the rest if our group we happy with the dining room menu for that night and he wanted end the whole lobster. He loved it and it was much more lobster than the regular lobshrimp size of the dining room (he also likes those ones too).

On another night two of our group ordered the surf and turf option and both said it was worth the 20 bucks.

Check out the new everyday menu on the link below. A 1 1/2 lb whole lobster available for 20.00.

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/7dy_mdr_dinner.html

Nice to see the menus - and photos!

Having never done a cruise shorter than 7 days...I have a question. Is there a way to know - or find out - which menus are used for the shorter cruises?? Especially the 4 day Victory itinerary??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nice to see the menus - and photos!

Having never done a cruise shorter than 7 days...I have a question. Is there a way to know - or find out - which menus are used for the shorter cruises?? Especially the 4 day Victory itinerary??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ships that do 4 and 5 day itineraries have their own set of menus. Some dishes will be common, some won't. Same with ships that do 3 and 4 day itineraries.