Getting Enchanted with Royal Caribbean. Enchantment of the Seas Review 10/27-10/31

Thanks for posting pictures of your dress, I think it was lovely. My sister and I are going on the Enchantment the day after Thanksgiving for a 3 day cruise. We have had much debate on what to wear on Formal night. I have a black dress that looks similar to yours I think that is what I am taking for formal night.

So nice to read your report. We got on the 31st for the Halloween cruise but never saw Coco Cay. I have never seen it on four cruises! Looks quite lovely. I so wanted to snorkel. You didn't go to Starbucks? They have the best desserts and they are free. I love Antoinette that works there like 24 hours a day. Felt so bad for her that I started tipping her each time. I think she is over worked. Nice that you had a nice couple to sit with.

We loved Chops. We ate there like you the first night but at seven. The salad with fried goat cheese was wonderful. I had the tuna and the poor waiter had to ask if they would cook it done for me. They did it perfect. My husband got the big steak. He said it was great and the mashed potatoes and spinach we shared. It was well worth it.

The rooms are small but we packed light. I am the one that snores!

My husband puts ear plugs in.

I don't know if you can see in this picture, but in the corner, there is an elderly couple dancing. They tore up that dance floor every night, and it was beautiful to watch

Hey that's Bill and Sue! They were on our roll call. Great couple. My wife and I kept bumping into them all over the ship.

It's fun reliving the cruise through your review. We keep trying to place where we were at the time of your writing.

Hope you find time to finish it!

Hey that's Bill and Sue! They were on our roll call. Great couple. My wife and I kept bumping into them all over the ship.

It's fun reliving the cruise through your review. We keep trying to place where we were at the time of your writing.

Hope you find time to finish it!

Oh wow. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet up with you all. I went to the shopping talk instead :-)

I loved watching them dance, they were so energetic!

Ex Boyfriend didn't come "home" until about 1am. By 130 he was snoring again and I was awake, staring at the ceiling, counting down. Remember a conversation we'd had earlier, I decided to gently "wake" him. I noisly got up and went to the bathroom, "accidentally" slamming the door. The snoring stopped. He was awake. I returned to bed, laid down, and started to fall asleep before I heard it again.

SNOOOOOORE. gaspchoke SNOOOOORE

Dang it! I noisly turned from my back to my side, the bed squeaking, readjusting my pillows by slamming them against the bed. The snoring stopped again. I settled down, and quickly drifted to sleep.

Whenever he woke me up, I made enough noise to wake him so I could fall back asleep. I felt a little guilty because I was purposefully waking him and he wasn't snoring on purpose, but a girl has got to sleep, especially when we have a day of shopping in Nassau ahead!

At about 7am I gave up the sleep/wake/noise game. I don't think it was anymore restful than if I'd just stayed up. I tried to be very quiet as I crept around the stateroom, gathering clothes and socks and shoes and sneaking into the closetbathroom.

Once clean and dressed I headed up to the Windjammer for breakfast, first stopping to take an elevator selfie

28643436-89A6-4AAD-B1EF-9A5BDFCBDCD1_zpsymt4600q.jpg

I got a LOT of compliments on this shirt. It says "Let the Sea Set You Free", I thought it was very appropriate for a cruise.

The Windjammer never really seemed crowded for breakfast. I sat at what would quickly become my favorite spot to sit, on the left side (facing windjammer from the pool area) it was bar type seating that faced out of the windows to the sea. It was absolutely stunning.

We were going to be in port until midnight, with an all aboard time at 1130pm. I really didn't have to be off the boat so early, but I do like to get things done in the morning. Docking this early leaves you in a weird zone, where if you get off too early, nothing is open, but there isn't really much time to do anything else. We docked at 7am but nothing opened until about 930.

After breakfast I went back to the cabin. In the elevator, I met a first time cruiser who had just been up on deck. "It's SO big!" He said. After finding Coco Cay comfortable, he was a little intimidated by the size and crowdedness of Nassau, even just looking at it from the boat. It was kind of nostalgic. Nassau was my first ever port (maybe why it has a soft spot in my heart) on my first cruise.

At the cabin, Ex was sitting up on bed and I packed a bag. I asked if he was going to breakfast and he said yeah, I told him I was going to go do some shopping. And at this point it was about 830, and I walked right off the ship.

Edited by SunshineCruiser24

The Windjammer never really seemed crowded for breakfast. I sat at what would quickly become my favorite spot to sit, on the left side (facing windjammer from the pool area) it was bar type seating that faced out of the windows to the sea. It was absolutely stunning.

I loved that bar seating in the Windjammer when we were on her in March!!

And I also have a huge love for Nassau! I enjoyed our day there so much!

Ah, Nassau! We were the second in port, next to the Norwegian Pretty Flower On The Side.

9C12D57B-746C-4A93-BC24-86859328513F_zps3fqztg8t.jpg

There looked to be some kind of Bahamian Navy ship in port. I assumed that's what this was.

DSCN0845_zps8c53bbf3.jpg

It's hard to see, I waited until I was a little ways away to take pictures, but there were people lined up in uniform, it appeared to be military, but who knows. You can also get a better look at the Norwegian Pretty Flowers on the Side.

DSCN0846_zps43f90caa.jpg

It was a bright beautiful day and I had shopping on my mind. The "mission of the day" was to find something really nice for my mom. She's very special and wonderful and I just love her so much! I wanted something nice and uncheesy and Bahamian. I was writing a tall order, because I realize I was in the cheap made in china junk capital of the bahamas.

I made my way down the pier. At the port exit there was a few little "shops" that weren't open yet, an information stand, and a band that beat their drums whenever they saw tourists approaching. It was kind of funny, I watched them as I waited in line at the infromation booth for a map. They'd get really excited and play their music, but as soon as the passengers moved on, they'd stop until they saw someone else walking over.

I got a map, and then waded through the hair braiders and independent tour operators. It's a little jarring to suddenly have all these people trying to sell something to you, I imagine the experience was amplified because it was early and there weren't a lot of cruise guests there yet so when one wandered by it was like they all descended at once. Calls of "Pretty Girl! Braid your hair?" and "Ma'am! How about a horse ride?" "You have plans today? Shops don't open for another hour!" all kind of blended together.

As an aside, I've read stories about the horses being mistreated and they don't look like the most well fed comfortable horses and I've read that a horse died in the street while working from mistreatment. If this is true, I don't know, but I will not be taking one of those rides ever. I don't judge those who do, really, because everyone has to make their own choice but this is just not a business I can support. Plus to pull ME is animal cruelty in itself. :D

Edited by SunshineCruiser24

Nothing WAS open yet, but that was just fine with me. I wanted to walk up and down Bay Street and get a feel for the kind of shops available. I had a mental list of the kinds of souvenirs I wanted to buy for my coworkers I just had to to locate the stores.

I paused to take a picture a picture or two.

DSCN0849_zps74431fc5.jpg

It took me awhile to build the confidence to cross the street. Lots of cars.

DSCN0850_zpsca1b63f7.jpg

I headed to the left of this place where the stores were a little less high end, more of the local flavor.

I spotted this place!

DSCN0851_zps3f66416d.jpg

Not open yet, but I'd have to come back here, I was going to bring my grandmother a rum cake, she loves her rum cakes.

So I headed down the other way, crossed the street and continued down the rows of shops. Some had their doors open, others were still closed. The Straw Market wasn't open yet.

Before you reach the end of bay street and turn for Senor Frogs, there's a courtyard area behind some buildings to the right. Wanted to take a picture I headed in, it was pretty empty except for one man.

He approached me and started talking, asking if I had any friends in Nassau, is this my first time, and oh don't you know people? I'm sure this is my American "No One Talks To Anyone Unless They Have Nefarious Intentions" ideology that set off my spidey sense, or maybe it was the cruise line's fear mongering about staying around their approved shops or else you'll probably get robbed and murdered compounded by the fact that I'm afraid of almost everything and we were alone that made me uncomfortable. I'm sure I contributed to the "Rude American Tourist" stereotype because I abruptly cut him off turned tail and hot footed it out of the courtyard, sans picture, and headed back to the congestion of bay street.

Sunshine , I agree with you on the horse carriage rides.

Last year we were on the 3 day Enchantment , with a balcony that

overlooked Nassau .

After we returned from our Nassau excursion , I sat outside on the balcony with a glass of wine,

enjoying the gorgeous weather and the view.

I had just called our dog's boarding facility and was assured that our fur baby

was doing just great. So, I was feeling relaxed and all was well.

I could see that the horses were now in a covered area , so at least they were sheltered from the hot sun. I did not see any water for them.

At some point during my balcony relaxation ,

I became aware of some commotion with one of the horses.

One of the horses had either slipped or collapsed and was down on the ground.

That was horrifying enough.

But, one of the men began hitting the horse to get it up .

I burst into tears at the cruelty and ran into our cabin. My poor husband knew I had been on the phone about our dog, so at first, he was very alarmed.

I explained the horse cruelty and he went on the balcony to check.

He told me the horse had gotten up , but, the whole disgusting abuse ruined my day.

I could not get the image of that poor animal out of my mind.

The stores started to open, the very first one I hit was Del Sol and Cariloah. I didn't plan on visiting Cariloah but they turned out to be the same store, the first half is Cariloah and the back half is Del Sol. The T-Shirts were a bit on the pricey side. The sunglasses seem a little too good to be true, for $50 you get a pair of sunglasses and they'll send you another pair whenever they break or get lost? There HAS to be some catch.

I had come here for nail polish, one of my coworkers is a nail painter and I thought the color changing nail polish would be perfect for her. But at $10, a little pricey. She better be glad I like her.

The shirts in Cariloah were very soft, there were women with armfuls of bamboo necklaces to give out as you browsed the store, but everything was so expensive. After buying my nailpolish and some key chains, I continued on to the straw market.

The Straw Market is very claustraphobic. It took me a long time to work my way through here because every few feet it was "Pretty girl, come look at my shop." And every stall was the same thing but a lot of the things cost different prices.

This is where I found the shark from Coco Cay again. And again. And again. That teaches me a lesson, just because someone is sitting around a bunch of wood figures, apparently carving something, does not in fact mean he carved any of the things in his shop.

I got dragged in to several stalls mainly because I am not able to say "No" and I figured there was nothing wrong with looking, but I only bought from vendors who weren't overly pushy. I bought another wooden shark figure, but this one was more of a scene, a wooden lobster that was hanging off of a table. (This lobster, I found out later, did not stand up which is probably why he was hanging off the table.) a few string bracelets.

I left through the back end of the straw market to head to the Bacardi store to get some rum cakes. Making my way back to Bay Street through the alley by the straw market, I came across a small store selling Bacardi and rum cakes. It even had rum cake samples, they had coconut out when I went in. It's next to a walk up window service burger king.

After making my purchases (including a coke.) I got back on the main of bay street. I had my coworkers covered I still needed something for my mom. I found the perfect store for it called My Ocean. It was down in the Prince George Shopping Plaza, there is a sign where you turn off of bay street.

My Ocean is a store that sells candles, soaps, ceramics, sarongs, dishes and various other things for the home. Everything is made by hand in the bahamas. I spent a long time in here because everything in the shop is beautiful and smelled wonderful. I settled on some coasters hand made from sea glass and a soap dish with two soap scrolls. It was pricey, at just under $80, but I was very satisfied with my purchases. They came with beautiful postcards.

After I finished, feeling considerably poorer, I headed back to the boat.

overlooked Nassau .

After we returned from our Nassau excursion , I sat outside on the balcony with a glass of wine,

I could see that the horses were now in a covered area , so at least they were sheltered from the hot sun. I did not see any water for them.

I burst into tears at the cruelty and ran into our cabin. My poor husband knew I had been on the phone about our dog, so at first, he was very alarmed.

He told me the horse had gotten up , but, the whole disgusting abuse ruined my day.

My goodness. I'm sorry you had to see that. That makes me very very sad.

Your mother is also lucky to have you for a daughter. Your My Ocean gifts are gorgeous. I really love your T-shirt and again, your review is a really fun read and your pictures are wonderful. Thank you for bringing us along. I am going to be sad when this is over just like I am sad when my own cruise is over.

Sunshine, you are doing a fantastic job with your review! I was telling my wife all about it last night. Enchantment was our first cruise - to Bermuda a few years ago when she was sailing out of Baltimore. I'll always have a special feeling about that ship.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your review - don't give up on writing it - I never finished the review I started about our 2nd cruise and couldn't do it all now if I tried.

Sunshinecruiser ... ... your other reviews have all been fantastic, but this one for sure is my favorite. The way you write makes me feel like I've known you for years and we're just sitting in person chatting about your cruise. You're one of the most entertaining reviewers on here .... great storyteller, but also u pack your reviews with great info and outstanding pics.

You are a riot and I bet you're a blast to hang around with. Keep up the incredible review, girl! You're blowing alotta people away with it! !!

overlooked Nassau .

It broke my heart just reading that .. I would have lost it just seeing that happen ... I've seen those poor horses there too .. I always have to just look away .. such a sad existence for such beautiful creatures.

Edited by F27TW