Tough Chewy Steaks? Ranch Steaks?

gemz

I just returned from the Brilliance (repo Boston-Tampa). I was happy with the food in general but all beef was close to inedible.Tough,chewy,full of grizzle.After trying different beef dishes I simply stopped ordering them.

In the middle of the cruise we got little questionnaires asking for our suggestions. I complimented them on the food in MDR (other than beef) but stressed out my dissatisfaction with steaks of all kind. Next evening before dinner I got a phone call to our cabin,it was a sous chef asking about my problems with beef. After a short discussion he suggested I ordered lobster on coming formal night...and I had done just that. Very happy!

BTW-all of us in our group were surprised by massive feedback we were getting on our survey responses (regardless if positive or negative).

Wonder if this is something new?

This is terrible to hear that Allure/Oasis are serving steaks that can barely be cut with a knife when Princess and Celebrity both serve decent steaks and Celebrity even serves whole grilled fish at the buffet. I know RCCL was renowned for serving bad cuts of beef called Ranch Steak and then changed to a better cut of meat that was actually decent. Sad to hear that RCCL have gone back to tough steaks which is very disappointing.

Yeah, the steaks on Oasis last week were not good at all. The dining room staff kept coming around and asking about steaks and said that they were having issues. No one was specific as to why. Honestly, it did not befit a ship like that.

I was hoping that the steak in Chops Grille is good?

Any feedback?

Unfortunately that too can vary from ship to ship. Maybe even sailing to sailing. My last Chops visit was on Allure and while the filet was tender enough, it seemed dry. I had better meat at Samba on the same sailing.

I was hoping that the steak in Chops Grille is good?

Any feedback?

I have had the Filet Mignon in Chops on the last three cruises, and it has always been excellent. And that's coming from a picky steak person. Chops was better than some of the premier steak houses I've been to (Shula's, Charlie's, Ruth's Chris, etc).

I have had the Filet Mignon in Chops on the last three cruises, and it has always been excellent. And that's coming from a picky steak person. Chops was better than some of the premier steak houses I've been to (Shula's, Charlie's, Ruth's Chris, etc).

I've never had a bad steak at Chops and I'm a picky steak person too. The steak in MDR is a different story...and I think is what most posters are commenting on.

. Chops was better than some of the premier steak houses I've been to (Shula's, Charlie's, Ruth's Chris, etc).

Oh my :o Its been a while and while Chops was good it was nowhere near the quality of a Shula's, Ruth's Chris etc steak IMHO. Chops does not serve aged Prime beef like those named above unless you pay extra for it.

Ive also tried the "Chops filet" in the MDR as well. Again, it was good but not the quality of a premium steakhouse filet again in my opinion.

I guess we all have different tastes when it comes to steak. Id rate the quality of Chops beef about the same as an Outback, Longhorn etc in a Ruth's Chris type atmosphere..........i have not yet tried the up charge Prime cuts yet though.

Oh my :o Its been a while and while Chops was good it was nowhere near the quality of a Shula's, Ruth's Chris etc steak IMHO. Chops does not serve aged Prime beef like those named above unless you pay extra for it.

Ive also tried the "Chops filet" in the MDR as well. Again, it was good but not the quality of a premium steakhouse filet again in my opinion.

I guess we all have different tastes when it comes to steak. Id rate the quality of Chops beef about the same as an Outback, Longhorn etc in a Ruth's Chris type atmosphere..........i have not yet tried the up charge Prime cuts yet though.

It's all based on experience, and I'm comparing my three Chops visits to about a dozen or more visits to Shula's, Charlie's and Ruth's Chris (all in Tampa, with Shula's being my fav of those three). Maybe I've just gotten lucky with my Chops filet, but it has always been perfect. And no, from my experience, Outback is nowhere near being in that class, and I'd rather eat the peanuts off the floor at Longhorn than eat one of their steaks.

Just for fun I pointed to the grill marks on my steak and told our beautiful waiter " look you can see where the jockey whooped this poor animal ". She was great and happy friend that cruse!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a party of 4 in Chops and we each ordered a filet mignon. The filets were very dry and each of us sent our steaks back to the kitchen. The menu in Chops has significantly changed. Many items are now gone from the menu. Although I love a good steak and very rarely send one back, this was one time where sending it back was essential. We all left Chops shaking our heads.

When we asked our waiter what was happening to the Chops meat, he couldn't answer us. Most of us thought that the meat supplier was different than it used to be. We actually thought that the meat was a grade lower than what we were used to in Chops Grill.

What was more disparaging, was the increase in price to $35 per person and some steaks were actually priced as an additional cost.:eek:

Our experience was on the Freedom of the Seas in October. I certainly hope this is not fleetwide.

Maybe I've just gotten lucky with my Chops filet,.

Yes, obviously, if you are comparing the quality of beef of a Chops filet to that of a Shula's or Ruth's Chris steak, I would say you got VERY lucky.

Again, that is my opinion :) Ive been to Chops once and had the "Chops filet" three times in the MDR. My limited experience has been good for the most part but not premium steakhouse good. I guess I have not been as lucky as you :)

Edited by ryano

We had a party of 4 in Chops and we each ordered a filet mignon. The filets were very dry and each of us sent our steaks back to the kitchen. The menu in Chops has significantly changed. Many items are now gone from the menu. Although I love a good steak and very rarely send one back, this was one time where sending it back was essential. We all left Chops shaking our heads.

I have read the same countless times about various ships. That is why, IMHO, Chops steaks on average do not compare to a premium steakhouse steak.

It now cost 53.00 to 54.00 to get a decent steak in Chops it seems and Ive even read complaints about those as well.

Strangely enough, Carnival serves up aged USDA Prime steaks in their steakhouses included in the 35.00 pp and generally get MUCH better reviews than Chops by people who consistently sail both lines.

Edited by ryano