Anytime dining

Fishymom

Just stepped foot off the gangway of the Magic

My number one concern this cruise was our anytime dining.

We loved the freedom to go eat when we wanted to especially after shore excursions, or if we wanted to catch a show.

BUT

We had the slowest service EVER. Almost every meal.

Like we were always sat in that server who was slammed, section.

We waited and waited and waited.

Not just dinner... Brunch too.

Is this the norm with anytime dining?

What time did you go to dinner?

We always have ATD but we tend to go early and don't have any problems. We also ask for the same wait staff each night if we like them. We don't do different ones each night.

Brunch is different since no one has set dining for that meal. Perhaps your ship was particularly busy or understaffed? Did you say anything to the maitre d??

I would probably have said something about it while on board.

We have had slow service, but that is because of the dining staff not getting along, not helping each other, disappearing, leaving only one person to handle more that one person can handle. Have seen this on the last three cruises, BUT it really didn't have anything to do with anytime dining, just staff acting like children.

I don't know why folks accept this kind of service?

We wouldn't accept it on land and if it occurs on the ship then we would tell(and have told) someone in authority about it! It is quite amazing how things will improve when you let it be known instead of suffering in silence.

Our times changed but between 6-8.

We never waited in line more than 2 minutes and there were always empty tables around us.

I didn't say anything-I've been a server- I know there are off nights, kitchen slow etc.

BUT knowing what service can be like, I think made this service seem that much worse, kwim.

I think we will go back to assigned time dining.

Oh it was every night- that's what lead us to believe it was just the way ATD is.

We chalked it up to them being say sporadically vs. Being sat all at once- all tables on the same page etc.

I was just seeing if people noticed the same 'lull' in service with ATD

We had ATD on the Elation last year and there was NO issues with the service at all, no matter what time we went. As a former server, bartender, and restaurant manager, of many years, I would definitely have noticed and complained if it was beyond the norm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had anytime dining last month on the Magic and it was the fastest we have ever completed our meals. Dinner was right at one hour each night, compared to the 1:45 we are used to with assigned dining. Brunch and lunch were speedy as well.

We did have the same wait staff at all meals.

We always book ATD and have only had slow service once in 8 or 9 years. And once we find a wait team we love, we ask for them every night after that. Were you at a table for two or a bigger table. We have had issues when we were sat with others, but since we now only ask for a table for two, no problems.

You definitely should have spoken to the Maitre d'.

Edited by Terre

We had ATD last cruise on the Liberty and once we found a wait staff we liked we requested that section every night. We also tried to go early every night, but we really do prefer to eat relatively early.

But, you really need to communicate to your wait staff. I really think that helps. If you tell them you like to eat fast because you are in a hurry to get to a show or something I have always been accommodated. I think they assume that you want to sit there and be pampered but unless you tell them otherwise how are they to know??

Like I said, when I have told my waiters that we don't like to spend a lot of time eating they have always accommodated us.