No Kids Menu -very unfortunate

A few folks posted that while on Quantum there has been no kids menu in the restaurants. They were told kids should order off the main menu or utilize the Windjammer. This is very unfortunate and potential deal breaker that might cause me to cancel my upcoming Quantum cruise. My kids are picky and always enjoyed the kids options in the MDR. Adam had even indicated in the Dynamic Dining launch event during Q&A that there would be a kids menu as well as a alternate adult entrée menu for each restaurant which is like what they have in the other ships MDR. I really hope this changes and is a temporary for the Transatlantic that will be rectified for future sailings. If anyone else has any further updated information, please share.

That's a real shame and IMO a killer for their brand. How can you claim to be a family line and not offer a kids menu? Have you heard if the alternative menu really exists. It's really getting annoying how many things we've been told are turning out to be wrong. No wonder they didn't want to say anything.

There were only a few kids onboard for the 2 nighter out of Southampton. There weren´t any veggie options available either. But when we asked we were told that they are still working on this. So there might be a kids menu soon too.

steamboats

I'm betting this is just a temporary issue. It's not practical to assume all kids will eat in the Windjammer and they surely know that, especially during the summer season. I doubt they expected a large number of children on an inaugural transatlantic in November.

Edited by PuterMonkey
spelling

I doubt they expected a large number of children on an inaugural transatlantic in November.

They certainly know the ages everyone booked. Not like all this kids just booked last moment. Kids menus are usually very simple; things like grilled cheese, frozen fried chicken fingers, hot dogs, etc. Seems absurd to me that the menu wasn't available for the first revenue cruise.

I read that other guys posting about being told to go to WJ and I felt bad for him. Talk about a response that really takes some of the excitement out of an entirely new dining concept.

I have no doubt that a kids menu will be available shortly, but I'm calling this what it is - someone made a bad decision and screwed up.

Some of the reports are that the kids menu is supposed to just be the regular menu served in smaller portions.

That's a less than brilliant idea for a family oriented floating resort. Some kids are real picky and there needs to be simple options that don't necessitate the parents missing out on included themed restaurants. I still believe we will shortly see a regular kids menu. Time will tell though.

Your video tours are the best with the maps and locations; hope you get to make one of this ship.

This also concerns me as we're booked soon on Quantum with a picky 7 year old.

The original poster in that thread did write back that the ship had arranged for pasta for their kids on subsequent nights and that they are planning on having kids menus in the future.

I expect kids menus at the 'normal' restaurants and it was a nice surprise that some of the Allure Specialty restaurants even had kids menus. It would be weird for Quantum not to offer them at all.

That's a less than brilliant idea for a family oriented floating resort. Some kids are real picky and there needs to be simple options that don't necessitate the parents missing out on included themed restaurants. I still believe we will shortly see a regular kids menu. Time will tell though.

Your video tours are the best with the maps and locations; hope you get to make one of this ship.

Someone reported back that they will have a kids menu in the near future.

I also believe that the same person went on to say there are only about 30 or so kids onboard. Might be the reason the menu is not ready yet, because its not in that high of a demand.

Thanks, I'll be onboard for the 11/23 and 12/1 sailings so expect to see it shortly after the 12th. Already have the graphics setup, just need the files so who knows, if I get some Internet onboard (never buy it, don't want to be connected on vacation) I may get it up before I get back. I'll also have a Coco Cay tour.

I can't believe this would be a deal breaker. I've got 4 kids and they would be ecstatic to order off the adults menu with us in the MDR or any of the restaurants in Dynamic Dining.

It would be one thing if you had to pay more for an adult plate for them but for them to get a chance to eat a fancy meal is a treat.

We have found (starting at a young age) that if they are going to be picky then they can choose not to eat. Eventually they will get hungry enough to start exploring and "widen" their palate.

Please understand that I am in no way criticizing anyone's parenting style and I know that every kid has their own challenges but its hard to believe that you'd give up a cruise on this gorgeous ship because your kid won't eat filet and lobster.

-Sean

My kids would always order off the adult menu and would politely ask for the full menu when offered the children's menu. They loved the chilled soups! We convinced them to try the escargot and order items that they would not normally get at home. (They started cruising at age 6 and 8.) They pretty much enjoyed the variety and choices.

I had to laugh (at myself)when I read this because rather than a deal breaker, this would have been great for my family. One of my pet peeves when my kids were young were restaurants with unimaginative and/or unhealthy children's menu choices - like spaghetti, macaroni, chicken nuggets and hot dogs. That was a deal breaker for me.

On the other hand, I have a nephew who seemingly only eats chicken nuggets and fries. For them, no kids menu would be an ordeal.

I can't believe this would be a deal breaker. I've got 4 kids and they would be ecstatic to order off the adults menu with us in the MDR or any of the restaurants in Dynamic Dining.

All you need to do is ask for the adults menu for your kids, ours are 8 and 12 and always order from the normal menu - even when they were younger. We simply explain they're not chicken nugget and hot dog fans and that's the end of it - the waitstaff happily oblige. The looks they get from the waiter on the first few nights when they order duck, lamb and escargot are priceless! :D

I suppose we're spoiled with kids who are adventurous eaters but I have a hard time understanding having kids who can't find anything to eat on a regular menu. Perhaps the picky eaters are turned off by the fancy description (the typical kids logic of different = gross)?

I'm also surprised the restaurants can't just accommodate a simple request for plain pasta, a plain steak, or something similar. Of all of this that's what blows my mind the most.

Thank you to all that are on-board for the additional updates. Sounds like RCCL is addressing and that there will ultimately be Kids menus which will make this a non-issue.

Regarding those who have questioned why this would be a deal breaker. Take into consideration this is a family vacation. We encourage our kids to try new things and not to be so picky. In fact in the past they have done just that and enjoyed certain things from the MDR such as the cold soups.

However, we want this to be a relaxed vacation. One of the great things about past cruises in that there were not limited menu choices. We do not want to force our kids to eat something on vacation that they do not like. At home it is a bit of a different situation. We have and will encourage them to try something new but they should also be able to get the kids choices that they have always enjoyed. There are very few adult entrees that they would be willing to eat.

We are paying a premium for this cruise and it should take into account that in general kids can be picky and want to have certain kids basic items. We pay full fare for them same as an adult and kids preferences for food should be taken into consideration.

So to me and I believe others it could have been a deal breaker if we were to pay premium prices for a vacation with our kids and have them be disappointed and to get into potential battles with them or hear them complain when trying to relax at dinner that there was nothing on the menu they want to eat.

Edited by kruthcruiser

Like you this a dealbreaker for me! I have twins both brought up the same way and one will eat anything and the other is really picky. To those that think they are the perfect parents with the perfect kids who will eat anything, I congratulate you. However my holiday would be ruined if my kid was starving throughout it!!! My little picky eater is the quiet one of the two and wouldnt make a fuss or tantrum, she would quietly decline and go hungry.

Cruising is expensive from the UK - £8000 for Anthem!! So they had better get this sorted out!

A few folks posted that while on Quantum there has been no kids menu in the restaurants. They were told kids should order off the main menu or utilize the Windjammer. This is very unfortunate and potential deal breaker that might cause me to cancel my upcoming Quantum cruise. My kids are picky and always enjoyed the kids options in the MDR. Adam had even indicated in the Dynamic Dining launch event during Q&A that there would be a kids menu as well as a alternate adult entrée menu for each restaurant which is like what they have in the other ships MDR. I really hope this changes and is a temporary for the Transatlantic that will be rectified for future sailings. If anyone else has any further updated information, please share.

If I'm potentially spending thousands on a cruise vacation for my family, my children will learn to eat something other than spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, or pizza. :)