tipping & taxis

jazzydiver

Hi everyone,

Quite a number of years ago I lived in central Mexico for a couple of months. Tipping taxis drivers was not standard practice. You only tipped if the driver helped you with your luggage or groceries or something. Was in Baja California a while after that for a vacation, seemed like that was still the norm.

I have seen a couple of references on this board about tipping taxi drivers - is tipping the norm in Cozumel? Or only if driver goes above & beyond standard service in some way? Just wondering if this is an area in which Cozumel has its own rules & customs, different from the rest of Mexico.

Thanks for input.

I don't tip if I pay in dollars (the exchange rate they offer makes up for it). I will tip a bit if I pay in pesos.

I think tipping is more 'the norm' in Cozumel because of all the Americans. Most locals I've talked to say not to tip taxis, but cruisers often do.

Edited by skittl1321

I have two rules of thumb about tipping taxi drivers. If the driver refuses to put my luggage into the trunk (has happened multiple times in Puerto Rico), I do not tip. And if I get stuck in a cab with no air conditioning, I will not tip. This latter situation has happened in Coz multiple times. I respect that they have a system and you must take the next cab in line, but those are my personal rules.

JohninDC ~ I agree! Plus I would add that these ppl are working hard and have a family to support in most cases and don't earn bubkas as a cab driver. If I am fortunate enough to be able to go on a cruise then I can afford to tip... After all, We tip our hair dressers, our parking attendants at restaurants, the paper boy, the waiter/waitress etc....why wouldn't we tip a person who has performed a service for us and has gotten us to our destination in one piece???? Just sayin' . . . .

JohninDC ~ I agree! Plus I would add that these ppl are working hard and have a family to support in most cases and don't earn bubkas as a cab driver. If I am fortunate enough to be able to go on a cruise then I can afford to tip... After all, We tip our hair dressers, our parking attendants at restaurants, the paper boy, the waiter/waitress etc....why wouldn't we tip a person who has performed a service for us and has gotten us to our destination in one piece???? Just sayin' . . . .

Amen! :cool: