Oasis vs Freedom

I am sorry and I am sure this has been discussed, but I did not see anything very recent on topic.

DH and I are planning a trip in May for our 10 year anniversary and my birthday (which is one of some significance). We will probably do a cruise and are still looking around. DH wants to do Celebrity but I do not really want to do Bermuda or Alaska, so it probably won't be. We have done Carnival several times and I am really wanting to try Royal. I want to go on one of the big ships, so I have been looking at Freedom of the Seas or Oasis.

I am trying to figure out what the biggest differences are between the two classes to see where we want to go. The itineraries are the same and Oasis is more expensive.

It will probably just be DH and I, but we might have our 3 year old daughter. Other than size and price, what are some of the main differences between these two ships?

We have been on several cruises before. The largest ships we have been on are Carnival's conquest class.

Things that are important to me:

- Beautiful ship

- Variety of venues for food and beverages (choices!)

- Lots of things to do

- Best value

I guess I am easy to please.

Suggestions.

You can't go wrong with either ship.

My opinion:

1. Oasis is a fun cruise to do at least once mostly just to see the ship. It's really amazing and even if you don't typically like large ships you will will think this is ... um... amazing. The downside is that the cruise experience is a little different because you are cruising with a lot more people and the ship is huge and you can literally go the whole week without seeing outside if you want. There are a lot of things to do on the ship, but our experience was that the interaction with the staff was less because they have so many people to deal with.

2. The Freedom is wonderful also and even though it's a really big ship it has the personal small ship feel. It doesn't have the aqua theater, central park, and boardwalk like Oasis, but it does have a lot of fun things and some you won't find on Celebrity like rock wall, flow rider, mini-golf, etc. The itinerary is a little better (I think there are one or two more stops) so you get to go to more islands. We especially love stopping at Labadee for a beach day. Freedom leaves from Port Canaveral so it's possible to mix it with Disney parks easily if you want to do that for a couple of days before or after.

But I'll end as I started... in my opinion you can't go wrong with either ship.

Tom

They are both good choices, my preference is Freedom.

They both have lots to do, Oasis has more.

They both have some good food choices, Oasis has more.

Ultimately for me Allure (Oasis "big" sister) felt like being in a mall, Freedom feels like being on a ship.

I went through this same dilemma for my upcoming cruise. I had been on the Allure and loved it but had never been on one in the Freedom class. We wanted to mix in Disney beforehand (traveling with husband and 2 daughters) and we are all big Disney fans. We chose Freedom since it was cheaper, the ports were better, it was a new class of ship for us and a lot easier to travel to Port Canaveral then Fort Lauderdale from Orlando. I went back and forth for months trying to decide and in the end figured I would be thrilled with either choice. You really can't go wrong with either ship!

One of the big differences between the two not being brought up is the difference in dining styles. If you prefer the traditional dining, go Freedom. If you want the Dynamic Dining, go Oasis of the Seas. That ship no longer has the traditional dining. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with either ship.

The Oasis as everyone said is fabulous, so much to do and see. However you might feel like you are on a floating hotel rather than a cruise ship. I love the Freedom class, been on most of them, and the Freedom is my favorite for many reasons, especially for the feel of the ocean, something lost in the Oasis class.

For example we just did the Oasis TA from rotterdam, we missed the sail away in both South Hampton and Vigo, because we could not feel the ship move or hear it. I should add after a few drinks in the D lounge one tends to not worry and be happy.

Having sailed on both Oasis class ships as well as Freedom, I would say that Allure is by far my favorite. Crew is amazing and have had the chance to know many of them from Mariner to Freedom and now Allure. The Oasis class has top notch entertainment (Chicago on Allure, CATS on Oasis), multiple venues for dining and plenty to do onboard (duel Floriders, zip line, mini golf, duel rock climbing walls). As for the islands, both class of ships cruise to the same ports except Grand Cayman which of the two class, only Freedom would go (have to tender to the island, take too long on Oasis class). Never had the feeling of being over crowded as many say about the Oasis class.

Basically, either way, you are on a cruise, what could be wrong with that?

I am sorry and I am sure this has been discussed, but I did not see anything very recent on topic.

DH and I are planning a trip in May for our 10 year anniversary and my birthday (which is one of some significance). We will probably do a cruise and are still looking around. DH wants to do Celebrity but I do not really want to do Bermuda or Alaska, so it probably won't be. We have done Carnival several times and I am really wanting to try Royal. I want to go on one of the big ships, so I have been looking at Freedom of the Seas or Oasis.

I am trying to figure out what the biggest differences are between the two classes to see where we want to go. The itineraries are the same and Oasis is more expensive.

It will probably just be DH and I, but we might have our 3 year old daughter. Other than size and price, what are some of the main differences between these two ships?

We have been on several cruises before. The largest ships we have been on are Carnival's conquest class.

Things that are important to me:

- Beautiful ship

- Variety of venues for food and beverages (choices!)

- Lots of things to do

- Best value

I guess I am easy to please.

Suggestions.

We included Celebrity for your husband, but agree with you, Celebrity in May,,,,yuk!:D

1) Beautiful ship=The Freedom and Oasis are both in very good condition! Celebrity classier!

2) Variety of venues for food=Oasis has a few more pay choices, free food mediocre on both, Celebrity much better!

3) lots of things to do=a few more things to do on Oasis, plus the aqua theater, both have plenty to do!

4) best value=currently in May 2015 the Oasis is several hundred dollars per person less then the Freedom!

Whatever your choice have fun!:D

If you are flying, Oasis is out of Ft, Lauderdale and Freedom is out of Pt Canaveral. I would check airfares. Pt Canaveral has no airport and it involves needing transportation to and from Orlando.That can be costly.Freedom may not end up being cheaper after all.

Edited by dorisis

I love the Oasis it is my favourite ship so far. I havent been on the Freedom but Ive been on the Liberty twice for 7 day cruises back in the day and it was alot of fun.

Like others said PC is a bit farther away. For travel to get to the cruise port.

You cant go wrong either way, But if i were to pick right now I would pick the Oasis. Way more things to do

You can't go wrong with either ship.

My opinion:

1. Oasis is a fun cruise to do at least once mostly just to see the ship. It's really amazing and even if you don't typically like large ships you will will think this is ... um... amazing. The downside is that the cruise experience is a little different because you are cruising with a lot more people and the ship is huge and you can literally go the whole week without seeing outside if you want. There are a lot of things to do on the ship, but our experience was that the interaction with the staff was less because they have so many people to deal with.

2. The Freedom is wonderful also and even though it's a really big ship it has the personal small ship feel. It doesn't have the aqua theater, central park, and boardwalk like Oasis, but it does have a lot of fun things and some you won't find on Celebrity like rock wall, flow rider, mini-golf, etc. The itinerary is a little better (I think there are one or two more stops) so you get to go to more islands. We especially love stopping at Labadee for a beach day. Freedom leaves from Port Canaveral so it's possible to mix it with Disney parks easily if you want to do that for a couple of days before or after.

But I'll end as I started... in my opinion you can't go wrong with either ship.

Tom

Well put. We cruised on the Allure in August and had a wonderful time. Amazing ship! Lots of people but great design so it didn't feel all that crowded. It does give you more of the resort feel and not the feeling of being on a ship. It was perfectly smooth and you can indeed go all week and not see the water. That was a bit weird. Would I cruise again on Oasis/Allure? Absolutely. But, so far my favorite ship has been the Freedom and have been on that twice. Bells and whistles but still feel like you are on a ship. Can't go wrong either way!