Beverage packages?

Granny pants

When we bought our All Inclusive shortly after embarkation in SFO, Princess made a point of telling us that the charge wouldn't appear on our account until we were in international waters - that way we wouldn't pay taxes.......and they were true to their word :D

We did this on the Emerald in November, purchased the drink package shortly after boarding; we had the early dining (5:30) and of course we ordered drinks with dinner. When we checked our folio on the last day the Drink Package did not get charged to our account until later that evening...we were charged for the dinner drinks even though we bought the package several hours before dinner. The courtesy desk did correct the charge but what a hassle, stood there and watched them go through every receipt from the first evening.

Watch your folio.......

Watch your folio.......
Excellent advice, and also check the charge slip every time you order. It should indicate "AIR" and the amount should be "$0.00". Unfortunately, in the dining room they still often use handwritten slips that someone has to input manually later, plus they don't usually bother indicating the price. So be extra vigilant about those.

On our last cruise some we also had some charges show up for espressos that we ordered in the dining room. In addition to the hassle, the man at the front desk was not particularly friendly about removing the charges. :(

With an embarkation in Houston, the ships bars will not open until the ship is 12 miles off the Texas coast (approox. 8:00 p.m.). With this in mind there will be limited time to purchase beverages on the first day. Will Princess allow you to purchase the beverage package on the second day? (6 day package) Royal Caribbean out of Galveston has implemented this policy several months ago.

With an embarkation in Houston, the ships bars will not open until the ship is 12 miles off the Texas coast (approox. 8:00 p.m.). With this in mind there will be limited time to purchase beverages on the first day. Will Princess allow you to purchase the beverage package on the second day? (6 day package) Royal Caribbean out of Galveston has implemented this policy several months ago.

We were served in while in port (Houston), however the menu was very limited.

Just got off the Grand today.... I, too, had purchased the drink package (we got a terrific value from it ;-) ahead of time. Lo and behold, if you buy it the first day ON BOARD, you get the first day free (about 100 bucks' worth for our 15-day cruise). It was quite the hassle for the purser's desk to refund the $100, but they finally did it. So don't buy it ahead of time; buy it ON BOARD!!!

Just got off the Grand today.... I, too, had purchased the drink package (we got a terrific value from it ;-) ahead of time. Lo and behold, if you buy it the first day ON BOARD, you get the first day free (about 100 bucks' worth for our 15-day cruise).

I would not count on this "discount" being offered on all Princess ships.

They'll need to ring up the bottle of water as a second beverage and you'll need to sign for them both. If you're asking for water with a drink, ask for an ice water in a glass with your drink. If you want a bottle, they'll need to ring them up separately, and you'll need to sign for them separately.

Just to clarify...so, you *can* get one non-alcoholic and one alcoholic drink (bottle of water and a cocktail) at once if you have the all inclusive package, but you'll just have to sign two slips? Or, one drink will be included in the package but you'll have to pay for the other? I, too, like to supplement my cocktails with club soda or a bottle of water, and it'd be great to get both at once versus having to make two stops. I pre-purchased the all-inclusive package in advance of our cruise next week (just for me, not my husband), so thanks in advance for the tips/advice!

Just to clarify...so, you *can* get one non-alcoholic and one alcoholic drink (bottle of water and a cocktail) at once if you have the all inclusive package, but you'll just have to sign two slips? Or, one drink will be included in the package but you'll have to pay for the other? I, too, like to supplement my cocktails with club soda or a bottle of water, and it'd be great to get both at once versus having to make two stops. I pre-purchased the all-inclusive package in advance of our cruise next week (just for me, not my husband), so thanks in advance for the tips/advice!

What I've experienced is that if you ask for a cocktail and a bottle of water, they'll need to swipe your card twice and you'll have 2 receipts to sign. Be aware that you *may* encounter inconsistencies in the way the orders are processed by different servers and bartenders. All 4 cruises I've taken on Princess this year where the drink card has been available it's been slightly different. In particular, on the Crown last month, I had one server tell me I had to wait at least 5 minutes between transactions, which is complete hogwash and not true. Just be prepared to go to a different server and ask for your bottle of water if you get hassled. That scenario was the exception rather than the rule. I hope that helps.

What I've experienced is that if you ask for a cocktail and a bottle of water, they'll need to swipe your card twice and you'll have 2 receipts to sign. Be aware that you *may* encounter inconsistencies in the way the orders are processed by different servers and bartenders. All 4 cruises I've taken on Princess this year where the drink card has been available it's been slightly different. In particular, on the Crown last month, I had one server tell me I had to wait at least 5 minutes between transactions, which is complete hogwash and not true. Just be prepared to go to a different server and ask for your bottle of water if you get hassled. That scenario was the exception rather than the rule. I hope that helps.

Thank you very much, this is helpful! I really appreciate your reply. I'll be sure to report back with how things go next week on the Royal to pay it forward ;)

Thank you very much, this is helpful! I really appreciate your reply. I'll be sure to report back with how things go next week on the Royal to pay it forward ;)

My pleasure. Enjoy your cruise....I know you will!! The Royal is a beautiful ship! We'll be boarding Norwegian Epic on Sunday morning. My first cruise over New Year's. Happy New Year and happy cruising!

Brent

We've had the beverage package on Royal before, more than worth it for us. In March it will be the 1st time trying out Princess. Hope we find the value equally as beneficial on Princess. From everything I've read on here, we certainly will.

Hi Ictnightowl! We were in the balcony next to you on Mariner in 2012! You should go on Emerald 2/22 instead of in March :)

We've had the drink package on Royal, NCL, and Princess since they've introduced them. I found Princess includes more than the Premium Beverage plan (shakes, specialty coffee, etc. More like the Ultimate BP). But, it does have a $2 lower limit on drinks. I didn't notice any real impact of that though.

How is the package indicated on your cruise card? Is it just a sticker, or if you pre-purchase, is it printed on the card? I've used the program in the past on different lines and find the stickers don't last too long in the hot tub, and it can be a pain to get them replaced. It would be worth it to me to pre-pay just to have it permanently on my card.

Isn't it great that these are the biggest troubles we seem to have in the world?! :)

Thanks to everyone for all the great info!!!

We've had the drink package on Royal, NCL, and Princess since they've introduced them. I found Princess includes more than the Premium Beverage plan (shakes, specialty coffee, etc. More like the Ultimate BP). But, it does have a $2 lower limit on drinks. I didn't notice any real impact of that though.
Princess drink prices are generally less than on other lines.
How is the package indicated on your cruise card? Is it just a sticker, or if you pre-purchase, is it printed on the card? I've used the program in the past on different lines and find the stickers don't last too long in the hot tub, and it can be a pain to get them replaced. It would be worth it to me to pre-pay just to have it permanently on my card.
It's a sticker on the cruise card of the person for whom it's purchased. I'd never take my cruise card into the ocean, pool or hot tub. Edited by Pam in CA

Unfortunately, no. The items in the fridge must be paid for on your shipboard account, even if you've paid for the beverage package. However…..I have consumed items from the fridge and replaced them with canned sodas or bottled water from the bar using my beverage package. No issues.

brentlym, THANK YOU for that tip. I can organise to have extra soft drink cans for overnight, I'm a devil for waking at night needing a cool drink.

Crochetcruise :cool:

If you get friendly with certain bartenders, they will give you as many as you want to take back to your cabin at the end of the night.... we were partial to Perriers.... it makes it a lot easier to give your cabin steward whatever is stocked in the fridge on day one to take back to stock. We're Elite so a certain number of things were in there gratis on day one, but we swapped all the soft drinks out for the Perriers to begin with. Can't remember if non-Elite has their fridge stocked with "buyable" product or not.

As far as taking the cruise card to the hot tub, just fold the card over in a T-shirt or something and the cocktail servers will "fish" it out of your clothes if you don't want to exit the hot tub to pay for your Mojito ;-)

Edited by Pig1959

Just back from a 7 day on the Crown. We thought we would give the all inclusive a try prior to our 15 day cruise in April. May have saved a bit of money considering it truly is all inclusive. We're not big drinkers, however we do enjoy drinking the premium drinks and this certainly paid for itself. The sticker on the card will not come off. Gave it the swim test a few times :) Seems like quite a few people are taking advantage of this card as we noticed them a lot while in different venues. Verdict is still out whether I would buy on a longer cruise though. If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to answer them

Unlimited beverage package is $49 + 15% =

Approximate price of drinks including the 15% is

Beers $5 to $6

Wines $7 to $8 per glass

Cocktails and straight spirits most are under $10

Espresso w/o alcohol drinks $3

Sodas, waters $2/$3

$40% off bottles of wine up to $100

Does not apply to room service

There are some specials on beers and some happy hour prices

You'll have to do the math to determine if it is worth it for you.

Thank you for this great information! I am still trying to figure out if the sodas and more card would be worthwhile. My kids love smoothies and floats. Can anyone tell me how much these cost? How about the frozen (frappucino type) coffee drinks and mocktails? TIA.

Edited by USC Sailor

Any chance the Unlimited Soda and More package includes the bottled water? I drink more of that than anything, but would be more than willing to try smoothies, if available.

Unfortunately no, the bottled water is not included in that package. I also drink a lot of bottled water so I usually bring my own bottled water on board with me.

From what I remember on the Emerald this past November, water is included as part of the package. It is also listed in their list of included items.

"Take advantage of our All-Inclusive Beverage Package which includes any individual beverage item, such as soda, water, cocktails, spirits, wines, beers, coffee and tea, up to $10 (retail value)."

From what I remember on the Emerald this past November, water is included as part of the package. It is also listed in their list of included items.

"Take advantage of our All-Inclusive Beverage Package which includes any individual beverage item, such as soda, water, cocktails, spirits, wines, beers, coffee and tea, up to $10 (retail value)."

The Soda packages do not include water. However the All inclusive beverage package at $49 per day per person does include water.

Just got off the Christmas cruise on the Royal Princess. My wife did the All Inclusive Beverage Package. I did not. The package was well worth it for my wife as she got to try new drinks and if she didn't like it, she just ordered a new drink. I will say that the coke that was dispensed from the soda gun was totally flat, especially in the dining room. My neice and nephew got the soda package and figured that out. My wife was also able to get free Gelato and crepes from the Gelato place with the package. Although the package says it included fresh squeezed juices, the only fresh squeezed juice offered was OJ and only in the main dining room. At dinner, she usually had 2 glasses of wine. So by the 3rd or 4th night, the assistant waiter just had her sign 2 receipts at the beginning of dinner for her 2 glasses of wine. That was nice. We felt it was well worth it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask

• 1 month later...

Can someone tell me the cost of:

1. Unlimited Soda Package

2. Unlimited Soda Package and more

3. Cafe Selects Coffee Card

With the above 3 cards, if only one person in the cabin wants it the other does NOT need to purchase correct? I only drink water/bottled water, maybe one drink during the cruise.

If my husband wants to purchase the All Inclusive Beverage Package then it is my understanding both of us will be charged for it ... am I understanding this correctly?

Thank you for your help.

Update: I think I just found the answer to my own questions:

Unlimited Soda Package:

Receive a souvenir tumbler and select from a

variety of unlimited soft drinks served by the glass

at all bars and restaurant locations throughout your

cruise. Price includes service charge.

Item #0523 – $5.18 per person/per day*

Unlimited Soda & More Package:

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda &

more Package,† entitling you to the above Unlimited

Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, shakes,

floats and complimentary hot chocolate throughout

your cruise. Price includes service charge.

Item #2312 – $8.05 per person/per day*

Canned Soda Package:

Choose any six canned sodas listed below in any

combination for the price of five: Coke, Diet Coke,

Sprite, Diet Sprite, orange soda, soda water, tonic

water, ginger ale.

Item #2311 – $11.75

Edited by MilliesMom