Which Princess excursion in Fort Lauderdale?

canadarocks

We're doing a B2B next March and I think I'd like to book a Princess shore excursion for our turnaround day in Fort Lauderdale. We love wildlife, hate shopping, and love seeing yachts and mansions. So I'm torn as to which of these two to choose. Any recommendations?

(1) Everglades Airboat Ride & Flamingo Gardens

(2) Intracoastal Waterway by Boat & Las Olas Blvd

You can't go wrong either way. Waterway tour is closer and is a nice way to see Fort Lauderdale by boat. Airboat ride more adventurous. I personally would choose the waterway tour if you have never done it before. If you have kids with you then the airboat ride.

We did the Everglades and Flamingo Gardens on our B2B last April and it was a fantastic tour. Our tour guide, Tom, was a great source of information and very entertaining. The airboat ride was fun and really freaky how close we could get to the alligators :eek:. The airport captain didn't have to tell me twice to keep my hands inside the boat.

The only shopping is in the gift shops, which was enough for us (we hate shopping too). My sister loves the gator socks I picked up for her :D.

I really enjoyed the airboat excursion when I did it a few years ago. Even though I live in Florida, riding in an airboat was on my bucket list, and it was fun as well as informative. Also, it's a rather unique thing to do!!

You can probably do a waterway boat tour of FLL just as well, and probably cheaper, using the FLL water taxi another time. Check it out online!

The airboat ride is at Everglades Holiday Park. If you have watched the Gator Boys show on Animal Planet, this is where they are based. A gator show is part of your tour.

I don't get Animal Planet here in Ontario Canada. What does a gator show consist of?

We did the waterway tour prior to out flight home.

The bus driver was knowledgeable of the Ft Lauderdale area and its history... the boat ride was leisurely and on our trip, we saw birds, iguanas etc.

The star of the trip is the very luxurious homes and multi-million dollar yachts! Lots of famous people! When we went, there were several homes for sale too… bring your checkbook and make a deposit :)

we'll bring the burgers and dogs...

After the boat ride the driver took us to Las Olas Boulevard so we could walk around, do some shopping and or get something to eat… nice way to burn up some time and see how the “have’s” live….

I think our next trip we’ll try the air boats… sounds like a fun time!

Enjoy your cruise

We just did the airboat ride and Flamingo Gardens tour on Monday. Personally I thought it was pretty lame.

The airboat ride was only 1/2 hour. You pretty much never lost sight of the dock.

The Flamingo Gardens were interesting but nothing really special.

Next time I think we'll try the boat tour..

We just did the airboat ride and Flamingo Gardens tour on Monday. Personally I thought it was pretty lame.

The airboat ride was only 1/2 hour. You pretty much never lost sight of the dock.

The Flamingo Gardens were interesting but nothing really special.

Next time I think we'll try the boat tour..

That's exactly what I am worried about. Did you see many animals at Flamingo Gardens or was it mostly about the trees and plants?

We did the waterway tour prior to out flight home.

The bus driver was knowledgeable of the Ft Lauderdale area and its history... the boat ride was leisurely and on our trip, we saw birds, iguanas etc.

The star of the trip is the very luxurious homes and multi-million dollar yachts! Lots of famous people!

Thanks. We did a similar tour in Naples Florida this year and loved it. As I said, I can't decide between the two! :o

That's exactly what I am worried about. Did you see many animals at Flamingo Gardens or was it mostly about the trees and plants?

We were running a bit behind schedule due to very few Customs agents at debarkation so I'm not sure we got the entire allotted time. When you arrive they load you on a tram for a tour of the grounds. Then the guide (from the bus) leads you to the different animal exhibits. If I remember there were Panthers, otter, a black bear that didn't move and a bunch of flamingos. Also some tortoises and turtles, a couple gators and probably more that I inadvertently tuned out.

On the plus side, they handed everyone an ice cream sandwich as we got back on the bus to head for the airport.

We were running a bit behind schedule due to very few Customs agents at debarkation so I'm not sure we got the entire allotted time. When you arrive they load you on a tram for a tour of the grounds. Then the guide (from the bus) leads you to the different animal exhibits. If I remember there were Panthers, otter, a black bear that didn't move and a bunch of flamingos. Also some tortoises and turtles, a couple gators and probably more that I inadvertently tuned out.

On the plus side, they handed everyone an ice cream sandwich as we got back on the bus to head for the airport.

Thanks for the additional info..... kind of does sound lame and I really don't relish the idea of being led around at all.

Not to downplay the free ice cream sandwich though! :D

• 4 weeks later...

For B2B passengers booking this tour I assume it takes you back to the ship after dropping the folks at the airport who are leaving? It just mentions in the description the dropoff is at the airport so was wondering how that worked for folks needing to get back to the ship.

For B2B passengers booking this tour I assume it takes you back to the ship after dropping the folks at the airport who are leaving? It just mentions in the description the dropoff is at the airport so was wondering how that worked for folks needing to get back to the ship.

Yes, that's exactly what they do. We've decided to go do the Carrie B (Intercoastal Waterway cruise) on our own that day. It'll be cheaper and saves us the needless trip to the airport. :)

Edited by canadarocks

The airboat ride is at Everglades Holiday Park. If you have watched the Gator Boys show on Animal Planet, this is where they are based. A gator show is part of your tour.

Found out the hard way the airboat ride is not always to Everglades Holiday Park (EHP). When I did this excursion last year, we were taken to EHP - airboat ride was fantastic - covered boat, knowledgeable guide, saw lots of wildlife up close and personal. Gator Boys show not as entertaining and gift shop left a lot to be desired, IMHO.

Last month we were taken to Sawgrass Recreational Park for the same excursion. Airboat was uncovered and so loud you had to wear earplugs. Ride was very short. Personally, I thought their grounds (several animals to see) and gift shop (better gift selections) were much nicer than EHP, but the airboat ride was quite disappointing.

When the bus arrives at Flamingo Gardens, you immediately take a Tram ride - it was educational but not overly exciting. Then we had free time to walk around the grounds. We headed for the Aviary and Birds of Prey area where there are a lot of interesting birds - some in cages and some free to roam in the Aviary. Along the way we saw a large gathering of flamingos. We didn't have time to see the Tortoise/Turtle/Crane/Alligator area. The tour met in the Gift Shop at a designated time, got back on the bus and had ice cream. Those not getting off at the airport were taken back to the ship.

Did the Carrie B tour this year on our own before the cruise - it was quite enjoyable and the section of Los Olas Blvd near the Carrie B is worth seeing.

Have fun whatever you choose.

edit - Oops - just noticed that you made your decision already - oh well - maybe this info will help someone else decide.

Edited by MarKay525