Port fees and taxes...confusion.

So I looked online at my upcoming cruise. I always though port fees and taxes were the same for a cruise and set to that cruise. I was wrong we are paying 98.62 they are online for 89.56 now...It may not seem like a big difference but when you are paying for 6 people it adds up. I called royal and they said it is to late and cannot get my money back. Just think it is a little strange.

So I looked online at my upcoming cruise. I always though port fees and taxes were the same for a cruise and set to that cruise. I was wrong we are paying 98.62 they are online for 89.56 now...It may not seem like a big difference but when you are paying for 6 people it adds up. I called royal and they said it is to late and cannot get my money back. Just think it is a little strange.

They may change again before you sail.

I believe you will see an onboard credit if you end up being overcharged.

You may find you get a credit on your onboard account when you are on the ship. It's happened to us from time to time.

They told me It was past final payment and that the supervisor can't do anything because the prices are locked in at time of booking.

They told me It was past final payment and that the supervisor can't do anything because the prices are locked in at time of booking.

If the port fees/taxes are lower when you sail than when you booked you will receive a credit to your seapass account while onboard.

I'll post a picture tonight when I'm home.

If the port fees/taxes are lower when you sail than when you booked you will receive a credit to your seapass account while onboard.

I'll post a picture tonight when I'm home.

oh, Thank you very much. I wonder why the person didn't tell me that. I guess thats why I use CC because you guys seem to be more helpful than RCCL themselves!

I have a couple of reservations where the Taxes & Fees have changed a little bit, even one where I originally booked on one ship and moved the reservation. Consistently I have been told the T&F "locks" when you make the reservation and doesn't change. Not sure how or why that would be but so far some have gone in my favor and some against me and I have not had to pay the difference or received a credit.

I have a couple of reservations where the Taxes & Fees have changed a little bit, even one where I originally booked on one ship and moved the reservation. Consistently I have been told the T&F "locks" when you make the reservation and doesn't change. Not sure how or why that would be but so far some have gone in my favor and some against me and I have not had to pay the difference or received a credit.

he said he cannot help me and then asked me if I wanted to book some shore excursions lol...Hopefully we get onboard credit at least...

he said he cannot help me and then asked me if I wanted to book some shore excursions lol...Hopefully we get onboard credit at least...

Mine once went down $12.36 after final payment. When I looked at my reservation instead of showing a balance of $0.00 it showed -$12.36. I received a credit on my credit card a few days later and my balance went back to $0.00

Last cruise our Port Fees/Taxes went down and we had an OBC of a whopping $8.47 (for 2 of us).......once we set sail. Brought a nice glass of wine!

yes. there are 6 of us and the taxes and fees went down about 10 dollars each so it will be nice to that OBC.

Most of the times, the fees on our cruises have increased from the time of booking. Only once, did we get a small credit and assumed it was a reduction in port fees. Read this on this board. What I don't understand, if you get a credit for port reductions, conversely I would think there should be a charge when they increase.

Curious person wants to know. LOL

Yeah...I won't be getting OBC...the RCCL phone rep assured me that she has been working there for 5 plus years and never heard of port tax refund once on board...

The phone reps aren't that knowledgeable.

How would she know if people got onboard credits after they were onboard?

I have heard of numerous people getting OBC after boarding.

I don't think it's legal to overcharge for taxes and then pocket the difference.

Bill

Talking Carnival now (because of their price drops until sail day with Early saver) but I feel it may be relevant?

With Early saver fares you tend to look at prices and do mock bookings of your booked cruise very often to get price drops which can come and go within hours, what I found was when fares reduced or went on sale port fees and taxes went up, when the prices went back to normal the port fees and taxes went back to normal.

When a sale was on or a price reduction the cabin category price difference goes up, then it goes back down to original category price difference when the sale is over.

This reduces the amount of claim back on a price protected fare.

Perhaps RCI is manipulating the fees? I believe CCL does?

I have also had small refunds of fees whilst onboard but when you think about it tax cannot be reduced after the product has been sold and paid for because the tax amount "Should" be correct at time of purchase.

Edited by fishtaco

Mine once went down $12.36 after final payment. When I looked at my reservation instead of showing a balance of $0.00 it showed -$12.36. I received a credit on my credit card a few days later and my balance went back to $0.00

That's what happened with us too, Ray. We just had mysterious little credit card refunds. :D:):D

Yeah...I won't be getting OBC...the RCCL phone rep assured me that she has been working there for 5 plus years and never heard of port tax refund once on board...

Apparently she hasn't learned much in those 5 plus years.

My apologies for the delay. Just got back last week and I still haven't had time to scan everything yet. But here is a view of the Seapass account.

15558158638_1be2dcf707_z.jpg