Jewel Switch - Roatan to Trujillo

byargertx

I looked at the Jewel's position and saw that it did not stop in Roatan, but had gone to Trujillo instead. Then I saw another report that Trujillo would be the stop from now on. My trip information on the NCL site doesn't show that yet for the 11/22 cruise. Does anyone know anything about Trujillo?

I looked at the Jewel's position and saw that it did not stop in Roatan, but had gone to Trujillo instead. Then I saw another report that Trujillo would be the stop from now on. My trip information on the NCL site doesn't show that yet for the 11/22 cruise. Does anyone know anything about Trujillo?

Haven't been but everything I have read it is much worse than Belize. Just a pitiful place.

I'd I recall the Jewell will call on Banana Coast, Trujillo, while most other NCL ships will still call on Roatan. The Jewel is also a three port sailing while the Dawn, from New Orleans, is a four.

Banana Coast is a new port built with private money and is hoped to provide the Western Caribbean with a new port for those weary of the same old places. Several years ago NCL tried Santo Tomas, Guatamala, which did offer a few beautiful excursions, but not enough to satisfy most cruisers, IMHO.

I believe they are hoping BC will become as developed as Costa Maya. Only time will tell. It is still pretty rough around the edges, but I am looking forward to seeing the unspoiled Eco areas. Yes, it is pitiful, but it is a third world country.

NCL "skipped" Roatan the for a few days during the second week of April this year. Our port fees were refunded, but no other compensation and no other port was offered which would be understandable because of short notice.

We were on the Jewel and told that a crew member on the Pearl had been murdered while onshore at Roatan. According to our butler the crew member was killed for his cell phone.

We were on the Jewel for her first stop in Trujillo and I can tell you that it is not a "pitiful" place. There are shore excursions offered by Norwegian, very nice beaches within walking distance of the port with bars and restaurants, a quaint town square with a small souvenir market, the immediate port area is brand new with bars, shops and a restaurant. Above all....the locals are very nice and very happy to have tourism come to their small town.

I personally found it to be very refreshing to visit a port that has not been so commercialized by the tourism industry.

There are several threads on this new port. I have been following on here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68

You may want to check the roll call for cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1785420

We booked a cabana at Tranquility Bay Resort. They only allow 20 day passes. Swimming, snorkeling, different kinds of activities.

We were on the Jewel for her first stop in Trujillo and I can tell you that it is not a "pitiful" place. There are shore excursions offered by Norwegian, very nice beaches within walking distance of the port with bars and restaurants, a quaint town square with a small souvenir market, the immediate port area is brand new with bars, shops and a restaurant. Above all....the locals are very nice and very happy to have tourism come to their small town.

I personally found it to be very refreshing to visit a port that has not been so commercialized by the tourism industry.

I'm glad to hear this. We sail Nov. 29.

I believe the Jewel is alternating between Roatan and Trujillo as the 3rd port every other week. We are going on Jan. 24, 2015 and will stop at Trujillo. Personally, I'm looking forward to visiting a place that is not quite as developed as others.

ETA: The 11/22/14 departure goes to Roatan, not Trujillo. The 11/15 and 11/29 do include Trujillo. Just depends on when you're sailing.

Edited by hawk1972

Is it just the Jewel that is stopping here or are all the NCL ships going to start stopping her also. We are booked on the Sun Feb. 2015. Just wondering if I need to look at planning something different.

The only ship, at least for now, to stop in Banana Coast, Trujillo is the Jewel.

What happens later is still up in air, also, NCL is going to start stopping at their new Private Island, Harvest Caye, Belize in Oct. 2015 (the Star will be the first with others to follow). The renderings of the completed work look very promising. JMHO

We were on the 2nd sailing of the Jewel to Trujillo and I agree with your review. It was nice to visit a new port.

Thanks for the links. I like the looks of the Victor Bodden Starfish Sandbar and Cayo Blanco snorkeling excursion. This is one we will seriously consider, I think.

I have done medical mission work in rural Honduras for 18 years. It is a beautiful country with loving, friendly people. It is the second poorest country in the western hemisphere and are desperate for good jobs. But in spite of their poverty, they are people of great faith and acceptance of their lives.

I love seeing development in Trujillo because I know what these jobs mean to families in the area, however I know too that man Americans do not wish to view third world situations on their vacations.

If you have ever ventured off the beaten path ib highly developed Cozumel, you would see areas not much different than those of Trujillo. Jamaica, Dominica, Dominican Republic. Or pick a Caribbean country are no different, just maybe less visible..

Before you write off Trujillo, think of what we may learn from our impoverished but happy brethren in Honduras.

Georgia

I was on the Jewel two weeks ago and I was very impressed with the People.

They were so happy to see Cruisers coming to their Town. It was quite a feeling to see the awe in their faces to see what we looked like and how we dressed. ...The Jewel tenders you in and then when you get to the new Dock there was for us a group playing Drums and the Women dancing! Very colorful. I took the "Historical Trujillo Tram Tour. I found it very interesting because I would really see the Town better than walking around and it was quite cheap. The Town does look very poor but by NCL bringing in Passengers their economy will improve.

We also were on the first ever stop here and enjoyed the port immensely!