Q - anyone used JUST email, no webpages

bsddsc

We run a small business and want to keep in touch with our employees via email. I know all the advertised costs.

But has anyone just used the internet access to only suck down emails to their laptop? We tested an average week of emails for size, and figured the .25 per MB should be fine for us. We have no use for using a browser at all. Just want to get emails in case we are forced to answer a customer or if our house sitter has questions.

Also, if you did just use email only, what was your final cost for a week?

In all our cruises, we have never did this before. I'll post my final cost when we return in case others are interested. (I tried doing a search but didn't find anything related to this.)

Thank you all.

If you're using a simple POP/IMAP & SMTP client, or connecting to an exchange server (not webmail), the overhead would be very low as long as you don't download large attachments. if this is the case, you can set most mail clients to not automatically download attachments from the mail server.

Keep in mind though that even if this is the case, you may have other applications running on your machines that may use far more bandwidth. If a windows or java update starts downloading, if your dropbox syncs, etc your data use would be much higher than just some text emails.

You make a good point. Although there is no sync programs on our laptop, I will make sure nothing else is running when we do a check. We already disabled auto load so it can only retrieve when we click it to do so.

Just make sure EVERYTHING else is turned off. DD took her device to the web "expert" and was told everything was off. She was using more than we thought reasonable on day 1. FOUND some apps open, manually closed them and used next to nothing the rest of the cruise.

does DCL offer automatic upgrade to the next price level if we use more than the original purchased package, instead of paying per MB rate for over-usage.

No, they do not. And unlike the photo packages, you can't upgrade it after you purchase whether you have used any or not. If you use your package, you either but an additional package at full price or go per MB after that.

I do know that I bought my daughter the $89 package for a 14 night cruise. She was on it A LOT. Of course, it was mostly chatting with friend (s). I know she used some version of audio only skype at some times. She wasn't web surfing or downloading stuff. BUT, on the last day she had half of the package left. Still, the 1 gig $89 was cheaper than 2 smaller packages would have been and she didn't have to worry about use. I even got to do a few things at the end when there was plenty left!