Tips/tricks to save - possible to buy RCI coupons/credits?

BadCat13

When I travel, I usually research ways to save (buying a coupon book for a city, watching eBay for airline drink vouchers, printing attraction coupons, etc.). However, it doesn't appear like there's much out there as far as RCI coupons/discounts. The only thing I found was a "Savings Coupon Booklet" on eBay, but am not sure it's worth the price.

This is my first cruise, so I'm not a member of any of the cruise rewards programs. I already have my room booked, so am looking for food/drink/attraction discounts.

1. Are there any RCI-Navigator of the Seas discounts/coupons/deals that I am unaware of?
  2. Is it worth buying the 2014 Savings Coupon Booklet, or are there other ways to get it free?
  3. Anything else that a frugal cruise newb may need to know? (I've already checked the saving money forum - very useful!)

Thanks!!! :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The onboard savings coupons from Crown & Anchor are now electronic. No ship will take the old paper Crown & Anchor coupons.

Edited by clarea

Ways to save:

Don't drink booze like a fish - those bar bills can really add up If you drink wine you can now take a bottle onboard with you when you embark at the home port and there is no longer a corkage fee.

Lemonade and ice tea are free. If you have to have soda, take a couple six packs onboard with you. We took 6 bottles and didn't even drink all of them since we love the lemonade.

Eat in the dining room or Windjammer instead of the specialty restaurants which are an additional charge (worth it but still additional cost)

Enjoy all the free entertainment on the ship.

Don't get caught up in the frenzy of the "sales" in the shops or on the pool deck. One day T-shirts, then watches, jewelry, Inch of Gold, etc. Find one nice thing you like if you have to have something and that's it.

Don't book a lot of excursions. Research ports before you go and find inexpensive things to do. If you belong to your sailing's roll call maybe you can hook up with other folks for private excursions.

And really important - At the ports make sure you are back onboard in plenty of time so the ship doesn't sail away without you. It's not cheap to fly to catch up with the ship or fly home if its the last port.

With a little internet searching and planning you can have a wonderful vacation and not spend a ton of money.

Welcome to Cruise Critic :) When is your full payment due for the cruise? If it's not before final payment you can check for price drops on the RCCL website and when you see a price drop, you can call rccl and ask for a refund. If it's pass final payment you might could book a higher category for a small fee (depends). Also if you booked w/ rccl directly, you can tranfer to a Travel Agent that will offer you good perks, obc, dinner or spa treatment, etc. Don't book excursions w/ rccl, you can if it makes you feel better, but you can find cheaper excursion with someone else, but make sure you are back far enough in advance before the ship leaves. Hope this helps some

I learned this trick here on CC. Sign up for Mlife. It's the Vegas rewards program. The only number I could find was 866-761-7111. They will give you an mlife number. Then call crown and anchor, give them your mlife number, and you will automatically be gold in Royals Crown and Anchor program. Then all the gold discounts will be loaded on your seas pass account when you board.

We did this on our first cruise. Took 5 minutes and was completely free. We had no issues.

Edit... There have been conflicting reports on here about when you are assigned your crown and anchor number. In our case, my number was assigned immediately over the phone. Also, you can do this for every member of your party over 21. Then the discounts will show up for all of you that sign up.

Edited by SMN73

Welcome to Cruise Critic and Cruising!

For this cruise...Typically, there is a free cocktail party for everyone on the first formal night..the future of this event could change with the new Dynamic Dining concept. Be careful using the spa services...their goal is to sell you as many products as they can possibly sell.

If you book with a Travel Agent you might have problems getting a price reduction...some TA's charge fees to change reservations. We check cruise prices periodically to look for potential price drops. If the price drops, we call and ask if we are eligible for the lower price.

Read the daily Compass...it will be noted what events are free and which ones have an added fee. There is so much to do that is free...there is no need to pay extra.

Make sure you understand the charges that will be applied to your phone if you use it while cruising or at a port of call.

For your next cruise....start playing myVegas slots on Facebook. It takes a lot of free play time to earn points but you can get free beverage package, 50% off a cruise....coupons must be applied when you book a RCI cruise.

I learned this trick here on CC. Sign up for Mlife. It's the Vegas rewards program. The only number I could find was 866-761-7111. They will give you an mlife number. Then call crown and anchor, give them your mlife number, and you will automatically be gold in Royals Crown and Anchor program. Then all the gold discounts will be loaded on your seas pass account when you board.

We did this on our first cruise. Took 5 minutes and was completely free. We had no issues.

Edit... There have been conflicting reports on here about when you are assigned your crown and anchor number. In our case, my number was assigned immediately over the phone. Also, you can do this for every member of your party over 21. Then the discounts will show up for all of you that sign up.

thank... just signed up.. You do it online.. mlife.com

The best way to save money on a cruise is to simply make a conscious effort not to be taken in by all the drink hawkers, photo ops, bingo games, one-day-only jewelry sales, specialty restaurants, specialty coffees, cupcakes and ice cream shops. Decide how much you want to pay for extras and stick to your plan.

If you have plans to go to the Spa, check it out on embarkation and port days, when rates can drop by as much as 30 percent.

Royal Caribbean offers a 25%-plus savings on dinner packages aboard some of their ships. You can pre-reserve dining at three specialty restaurants for around $55 per person, which saves more than $25 each. Also, they will usually offer a discounted price on embarkation day.

Avoid the onboard Internet. Save your surfing for port days where, depending on your itinerary, you might even get cellphone coverage. Check with your carrier before you set sail.

Shipboard art auctions offer free champagne. It's not the best, but it is free.

Don't over tip. Every single drink purchase on the ship will already have a 15% gratuity added to it.

If you have to shop onboard, wait until the end of the week. The deals get better as the week progresses.

• 1 month later...

How is you can go to gold status immediately after signing up for a mlife card for the first time?

Looking at the web site it looks like Sapphire (which is starting status on mlife) has very few benefits on RCCL and you need to be Pearl or Gold mlife to start getting any decent benefits.

How is you can go to gold status immediately after signing up for a mlife card for the first time?

Looking at the web site it looks like Sapphire (which is starting status on mlife) has very few benefits on RCCL and you need to be Pearl or Gold mlife to start getting any decent benefits.

So I now know the answer to my own questions and will share them here.

In a nutshell it works on the honor system and I could have told them I was the highest level of Mlife and they would have signed me up that way.

However, they said we need to bring our MLife cards when we board. I am guessing this is where some level of verification might be done.

New MLife members (or those who play infrequently at MGM properties) are Sapphire and will only receive that level of benefit with RCCL C&A.

• 1 year later...

They've closed that loophole. You can either get Mlife benefits on your first cruise (which is basically nothing if you're a Sapphire Mlife member) or get a status match after your first cruise.