Is Cats REALLY 2 1/2 hours long ???

Shippy

There was an announcement that as a courtesy that you take your same seat after intermission. Of course no way to regulate that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We didn't have any issues with seat grabbers at intermission.

Sit by an aisle if you can. Just know that Cats may come by and be right next to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh NO! I'm booked on Oasis next year. :eek:

Dang that BOGOHO.

I really don't think anyone will take a cattle prod and force you into the theatre. Lol

Several ships have snippets of musicals, and other ones do not have general appeal, like Chicago--lots of folks and folks with families don't go.

I'm always just thankful to get to cruise because you choose what you want to do. Some people wish they could cruise and can't, for many reasons.

Edited by internetwhiz

You really can't disagree with facts. You may notice I didn't say the West End, I said Broadway. CATS is the second longest running show in BROADWAY history (this is a fact) Phantom is the longest running show on Broadway. (Fact).

That said, I am not a fan of either show and quite honestly, I am NOT an Andrew Lloyd Webber fan. ALW knows how to attract an audience and he knows how to make money.

My original point was I am confused that people don't know what CATS is about. Clearly it is about CATS. Have people not heard Memory? Or heard of T S Elliot?

While I agree that CATS is not the most exciting show, it is an easily mounted show. One set, no costume changes. many Broadway (or west end for that matter ) shows are difficult to stage on a cruise because of the difficulty in staging. I read many post on CC saying they would love to see Wicked on a ship. That would be great, but the logistics of that show make it unlikely. I understand Wicked is popular, but also expensive. A show like CATS is less expensive, has NAME recognition for the show and ALW and Memory.

Perhaps it is a mistake for RCCL, it is dated and somewhat dull.

Perhaps a show like Billy Elliot or Blood Brothers would fare better. Given RCI a partnership,with Dreamworks, why haven't we seen SHREK the musical on a ship?

I saw a production of The Sound of Music with no actual set changes, just a few pieces that would come and go. They used a turntable built on top of the stage that revolved so only half was used at a given time. One one side was inside, the other was outside. It was ingenious and perfect for a venue with minimal storage for large sets. I'm sure there are any number of shows that could be done that way. I want to think Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat only had one or two sets when I saw that 20 years ago.

Enough time to go to the litter box and then find a scratching post:p

Too funny!! But, yes, it is 2 1/2 hours long! I have already reserved it on my sailing for a day we had at sea---hoping the men will tolerate it better! I am looking forward to it. Our teens in our party may not, though.

My husband thoroughly enjoyed it. Hundreds of men in the audience apparently enjoyed it, or they would not have given it a standing ovation. I will admit that it needs a full orchestra, but this was the preview. can't please all the people all the time.

Edited by chloe kitty

I was on the Nov 1 sailing and saw what was billed as opening night for the full performance of Cats (we were told that nobody has seen the full show with all the music and the whole show). Not sure if that was true or not. Here are my thoughts.. The set awesome!! Costumes unreal! Singing and dancing as good or better than you would see on Broadway! I have never seen Cats nor will I ever again. I did not like the story line or lack there of, it was hard to know what they were trying to tell you with the songs. That being said if you like Cats you will love the show. The Cruise Director and the Captain even addressed it during their meet and greet. They know the need to tweak somethings to keep the large number of people from walking out. They and the cast were very aware of the fact that a large part of the audience did not com back after intermission. Like they already are going to remove it from the first night of the cruise and earlier start times. This was a large investment for Royal and they are dedicated to making it work on the ship. There was even speculation on maybe a Vegas version, but with this show there are very strict rules with it and it's the full show or now show....

We saw the Cats preview showing on the last night of the TA crossing.

I have mixed feelings about it.

The story is a bit thin on the ground but if you pay attention you'll pick it up easily.

We got the first half complete with orchestra and the second half (yes we sat thru it all) with just a piano providing the music.

The cast were very good and the show does happen all around you ... at one point there was a cat asleep on the floor in the row across from us. The set is pretty good too.

Could it be chopped down without losing what plot there actually is? Yes. There are big bits with Cats just dancing around, no signing, just dancing about. I know that its arty but it could be chopped for a quicker performance.

My main issue with it is, its not very upbeat for a cruise ship vacation. By that I mean its not fun fun fun like Mamma Mia or Hairspray.

I think RC probably should have gone with something else. But what do I know.

There are other musicals that didn't have broad appeal either, Chicago. Can't take the kiddies to that. It helps with Cats if a person has read TS Eliot's Book of Jellical Cats. Also, RC should provide a synopsis and s playbill since it is a full production.

Clashing with dinner will always be an issue.

Late will just have people falling asleep or wanting to get to bed for the next port day

Matinée probably won't work on a sea day in sunny climate.

There are very good reasons why shows were traditionally around an hour and free dining does not change them.

There are other musicals that didn't have broad appeal either, Chicago. Can't take the kiddies to that. It helps with Cats if a person has read TS Eliot's Book of Jellical Cats. Also, RC should provide a synopsis and s playbill since it is a full production.

To be precise, the book (of poems) that Cats is based on is Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

And I don't get the hate either. If you have pet cats, you will likely see one of your cats (or someone similar) in one of the poems. It's fun and cute. There isn't a whole lot of plot, just stories about the different cats who show up for the ball.

Edited by Pony Player

To be precise, the book (of poems) that Cats is based on is Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

And I don't get the hate either. If you have pet cats, you will likely see one of your cats (or someone similar) in one of the poems. It's fun and cute. There isn't a whole lot of plot, just stories about the different cats who show up for the ball.

Ooh, I forgot the title. Regardless, we read TS Eliot's book here mentioned in Jr. High. I always loved the lyrical poem about the Rum Tum Tugger then and now:

http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/t__s__eliot/poems/15143

17ee47f30d02f12cad6190cadb0e81d5.jpg

We live close to NYC and frequently go up for a day to see a show. I love musicals. However, I really don't have any desire to see Cats. I know what it's about, and I taught some of Eliot's work to my high school students when I taught. That show just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I was kind of surprised that RCCL didn't go with a more recent (or recently popular) show. Too bad they can't do a Disney show - LOL. The Lion King would be awesome at sea!

I think I'll book our family in and see how we go. I've seen it at the theatre so if our boys can't sit through the whole thing I'll leave with them at intermission and my husband can stay and watch the rest.

I do love Cats though. Might have to get the soundtrack so they get used to the songs. I've got them hooked on Phantom of the Opera (we sing a long to it in the car), so I might be able to get Cats over the line.