Acceptable MDR Attire

I know it irritates many people on this board, but you can always "lose your luggage" and show up in shorts. We ate dinner once where the husband had his suitcase lost by the airline. They got it at the second port of call. But the first few nights when the guy at the podium questioned him, he just told them about the lost luggage and let him in. I felt sorry for him because I know he was the type who would normally dress properly, but it was one of those things.

They did not call to confirm the luggage issue, just took his word. I know its a cheat, but you are boarding, nothing to be done now.:)

Quantum is apparently going to RFID tracking for luggage, and I would imagine that it's not far behind for the rest of the fleet. So if you're encouraging people to lie about "lost" luggage just so they can go to the MDR in shorts, be aware that that tactic may not be available much longer. :D

I've never seen many people dressed up - but I've never done "traditional" dining times; I like to eat at 5:30 p.m. or so. I know people dress up for photos, but in the MDR, I've never worn anything but shorts - and I've never been denied access - and that includes on the Oasis and Allure. Mostly I cruise Freedom. I'm a Diamond member - and I HATE dressing up on vacation. On the last 6 cruises I've been on, I have only seen maybe 10% of people in anything other than casual wear - including many, like me, in shorts.

Edited by GonnaSailtoo

Couldn't he wear his pants from his suit and a golf shirt?

We're back. That's what he did do. It worked out fine; so well that maybe we'll just plan for it on future (short) cruises. Packing is such a pain nowadays with baggage fees and DH does like to "do it up" for formal night, so bringing the suit is a must.

FWIW, we didn't notice one single man in a tux this past trip. Dark suits (with and without ties) were about as fancy as the men got. There were tons (and tons and tons) of men in khakis and polo-type shirts and anything with a skirt seemed to go for the ladies.

As for shorts; we did Chops the first night in the same attire we arrived in (cargo shorts for DH) and nobody batted an eyelash. The 3 nights we spent in the MDR we didn't pay much attention to what others had on and were waaay to far away from the podium to notice if anyone was being turned away or not.