NORWEGIAN DAWN for Families????

nowhook18

I am interested in taking my children ages 6 and 8 on a cruise in either February or March. Is the Norwegian Dawn a good cruise ship for them? Are there activities for them to keep them occupied? We have chosen that ship due to it leaving out of New Orleans. It would be there first cruise and I want to make it memorable for them. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I took my kids who at the time were 2 & 5 on the Dawn and it was perfect for them. It has a great kiddie pool area in the back of the ship which is perfect for those ages. The shows on the Dawn are awesome for kids as well with the acrobatics.

I would like to know more about the slides on the Dawn as well. As far as I can tell, they are only in the kids area. On the Jewel they had one on the deck by the main pool and then one in the kids area. My littlest one talks about the water slides on the "big boat" all the time. I'm hoping he is not disappointed. We could switch to another ship out of Tampa since it is about the same distance from us as NOLA but I prefer the drive to NOLA.

We were on the Dawn 2 weeks ago, and our 6 year old loved it. She had so much fun at Splash Academy and greatly preferred going to that rather than spending time with us. The only show she saw was David DaVinci, the illusionist, and she really liked it. She also liked the kid's pool area. The water slides aren't really big, but the kids seemed to enjoy them. I appreciated that there was a hot tub by them so I could relax while she played.

Jewel class is better for kids, but without them having cruised on it to compare, they will thoroughly enjoy the Dawn. I've got twins that are now 11, and they've cruised out of N.O. on the Spirit twice and the Jewel once, and the Jewel was the best hands down. The big slide, Nickelodeon kids club, pools, Prime Time Slime all on the Jewel was the best cruise we've ever been on.

We are cruising on the Dawn out of N.O. in January, and although my kids will have a blast, I'm sure it will be a let down after they have experienced the Jewel.

To me though, the ports are what matters, and the Dawn has a great itenery. Your kids will really enjoy all that those ports have to offer.

I would like to know more about the slides on the Dawn as well. As far as I can tell, they are only in the kids area. On the Jewel they had one on the deck by the main pool and then one in the kids area. My littlest one talks about the water slides on the "big boat" all the time. I'm hoping he is not disappointed. We could switch to another ship out of Tampa since it is about the same distance from us as NOLA but I prefer the drive to NOLA.

The Dawn only has a slide in the kiddie pool; there isn't one at the main pool.

For kids that age the Dawn has a great pool set up in the back. Once they get a bit older though, not much in terms of pool fun for kids.

Slides on Jewel class are pretty much duds. Not much elevation and hence, many people get stuck half way down and you have to inch your self down.

We were on the Dawn in August--I have three children, two of which were 8 and 6. If you follow the link in my signature, you can read the review, which has a ton of photos and lots of information about the ship and activities for the kids.

We were on the Dawn in August--I have three children, two of which were 8 and 6. If you follow the link in my signature, you can read the review, which has a ton of photos and lots of information about the ship and activities for the kids.

We are on the Dawn in 3 weeks with an 8 year old(super shy) DS and a 3 year old (whatever the opposite of shy is) DD. Thanks for the in depth review.