Gem Renovations

pixiedustdawn

It was always an enjoyable ship to us!:D

Yes yes, but now all the enjoyment we all had over the posts calling it a ghetto of the high seas or other horrible depressing things are over and now no one can complain anymore.

We need to find something else to needle on for the Gem, since we cant complain about the slide any longer what is the new most terrible thing for us to occupy our time with?

We need to find something else to needle on for the Gem, since we cant complain about the slide any longer what is the new most terrible thing for us to occupy our time with?

Well how about: The Gem will get new speciality restaurant menus only on April 1st but still it went already a la carte. So now the specialty restaurants are a la carte but with old menus so we need to pay more to eat same old food than previously. :D That could keep us occupied until April. :D:D:D:D

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

I'll be back on the 12th to complain that they kicked me off the Gem the day before, will that help? :p

I am late to the party since I don't use my phone on the ship but yes the slide opened officially Wednesday late afternoon. The crew was simply fantastic as always BUT this was by far the worst passenger based cruise I have ever taken. It was a holiday for some schools and the kids ran wild and caused destruction. And the adults treated the crew like absolute garbage. I actually got into a physical altercation after I witnessed one of them disrespecting the crew. I tip my hat to the crew for hanging in there. Won't stop me from cruising. I heard the group will be banned from future cruises and hears they're already banned on carnival. Good for us.

By the way the ship looks stunning after the refit. Out with the lime green and in with denim blue in spinnaker.

I am late to the party since I don't use my phone on the ship but yes the slide opened officially Wednesday late afternoon. The crew was simply fantastic as always BUT this was by far the worst passenger based cruise I have ever taken. It was a holiday for some schools and the kids ran wild and caused destruction. And the adults treated the crew like absolute garbage. I actually got into a physical altercation after I witnessed one of them disrespecting the crew. I tip my hat to the crew for hanging in there. Won't stop me from cruising. I heard the group will be banned from future cruises and hears they're already banned on carnival. Good for us.

By the way the ship looks stunning after the refit. Out with the lime green and in with denim blue in spinnaker.

Good for you for sticking up for the crew, I just

don't understand why some people have to act

like that😒👎🏻but glad that they are banned.I also

don't understand how some parents can't control

their kids while on board😒👎🏻and then they wonder

they get dirty looks. I'm glad you like the Gem after

refit. We can't wait to be back on her 110 days 😃👍

Just off the Gem (awaiting our ride upstairs actually). Yes -- my eleven year old was shocked (and she's no angel) with the behavior of the children from "the group" -- several of whom were banned permanently from the kids club by the end of the first sea day! Put a damper on a lot of things for the good kids that were on board. My child stopped going to kids club because of the disruptions.

Just off the Gem (awaiting our ride upstairs actually). Yes -- my eleven year old was shocked (and she's no angel) with the behavior of the children from "the group" -- several of whom were banned permanently from the kids club by the end of the first sea day! Put a damper on a lot of things for the good kids that were on board. My child stopped going to kids club because of the disruptions.

Welcome back, it's sad how a few

can ruin it for others, I hope that

you were able to enjoy your cruise

at least a little.

Marion

like that[emoji19][emoji107]🏻but glad that they are banned.I also

their kids while on board[emoji19][emoji107]🏻and then they wonder

refit. We can't wait to be back on her 110 days [emoji2][emoji106]

Fyi the latter part of January is a well known time for certain private schools in NYC/Brooklyn/ queens/Long Island to take a break and you usually find very large families with 6+ kids vacationing during this time as the prices are great and there was a true ksf for that particular cruise

It has been stated on cc in the past years that one mdr may even have a different menu and/or be reserved by the large groups for dietary reasons

Just stating the facts.

Edited by luvtheships

like thatbut glad that they are banned.I also

their kids while on boardand then they wonder

refit. We can't wait to be back on her 110 days

I agree....;)

First, i must say that I had no issues at all with the Gem or the crew on the Jan. 22 cruise. Both were amazing and led to a wonderful cruise. The kids were wild on the cruise but I found many of the adults worse. It was the largest collection of rude, pushy, self-centered adults I have ever seen. they felt entitled to everything. If they did not get their way, they just scream at you until they do (not my quote but theirs). One example, showing up 30 minutes late to a 45 minute show. Then walking to the front at the stage and looking for there clan. Not once but several times every show. Complete disrespect for everyone else. No wonder their kids were wild.

Honestly, I will never cruise from New York again because of this group. Luckily, I was able to avoid them some by having UDP. They did not pay extra for dinner so we got a reprieve each night.

On the good side, the Gem and staff are outstanding. Leo is not to be missed. our Aft balcony was amazing. And our cruise was great even with this horrible collection of trash on board.

YES. THE SHOWS!!!! They showed up with the show almost over and just stood up in front of the stage lookin for the clan. What horrible people. Allegedly ncl will be banning them as carnival has. And as for late January, I have done this the last few years and NEVER saw this. This was my 19th time on ncl and 7th in gem and have never witnessed this despicable behavior my entire time. I saw several of them filling out statements today, debark day probably to what they owe in damages. The crew told me they started to fight back and I gave them so much credit. Hear this .... A waitress accidentally placed bread and butter on the table. Instead of saying hey this can't be here the guy decides to GRAB this tiny waitress by her wrist and pull her and yell at her to why she placed butter on the table. Had I witnessed this I promise I would've had my way with him. By mid week the passengers and crew started to fight back. But yes I look forward to stardust every night for a show and on this cruise I couldn't. They made it very known they were late to each and every show. Even for the white hot party they had to set up a key card swiper with bouncers at both doors because these people just won't listen. Even adult only comedy there were the kids. We really hope that these people learn how to treat others one day.

Welcome back, it's sad how a few

can ruin it for others, I hope that

you were able to enjoy your cruise

at least a little.

Marion

Marion - thank you. We had a lovely time and WILL go back! Agree that the parents were even worse when the kids - rude, loud, and entitled. A disgrace. But we escaped most of it with UDP and our aft balcony as well. :)

The crew was AMAZING and gracious in the face of inexcusable abuse by this group of people. Duly noted - no more late January cruises out of New York.

First, i must say that I had no issues at all with the Gem or the crew on the Jan. 22 cruise. Both were amazing and led to a wonderful cruise. The kids were wild on the cruise but I found many of the adults worse. It was the largest collection of rude, pushy, self-centered adults I have ever seen. they felt entitled to everything. If they did not get their way, they just scream at you until they do (not my quote but theirs). One example, showing up 30 minutes late to a 45 minute show. Then walking to the front at the stage and looking for there clan. Not once but several times every show. Complete disrespect for everyone else. No wonder their kids were wild.

Honestly, I will never cruise from New York again because of this group. Luckily, I was able to avoid them some by having UDP. They did not pay extra for dinner so we got a reprieve each night.

On the good side, the Gem and staff are outstanding. Leo is not to be missed. our Aft balcony was amazing. And our cruise was great even with this horrible collection of trash on board.

Wow so sorry to read about this, people like

that just should not be allowed to cruise

or even walk amongst other humans!

I hope you change your mind about cruising

out of NYC. Are you saying that only passengers

from thei area act like that? There are plenty

if people from other parts of the county that do not

act like that. There are plenty of passengers

that travel from other parts of the county

to cruise out of NYC and some even fly in

from other countries.

We are from this are and our friends

are too, we do not act like that.

We have been on other cruises

out of NYC and we have never

seen behavior like this before.

I wish everyone lots more Happy

Cruising in the future with

less unruly passengers.

I truly feel sorry for the hart

working crew when they have to

deal with people like this

Marion

It was awful. Worst cruise I have ever been on. Not NCL's fault though. The treatment to the crew was appalling I wrote so many comment cards and spoke directly to Sonja the HD regarding this how badly the crew was treated. I am going to follow this up once I get home.

Fyi the latter part of January is a well known time for certain private schools in NYC/Brooklyn/ queens/Long Island to take a break and you usually find very large families with 6+ kids vacationing during this time as the prices are great and there was a true ksf for that particular cruise

It has been stated on cc in the past years that one mdr may even have a different menu and/or be reserved by the large groups for dietary reasons

Just stating the facts.

Living not too far from the group that you are describing it does not surprise me at all by their behavior. At least at home you can walk in the other direction or into a different place of business, on the ship you are captive. Really hope that whatever damage they caused on the ship is easily fixed by the time we board in 10 days.

It was awful. Worst cruise I have ever been on. Not NCL's fault though. The treatment to the crew was appalling I wrote so many comment cards and spoke directly to Sonja the HD regarding this how badly the crew was treated. I am going to follow this up once I get home.

Ouch! What happened to the crew? And was it a widespread problem across the entire set of passengers or was there 1 group in particular?

Wow so sorry to read about this, people like

that just should not be allowed to cruise

or even walk amongst other humans!

I hope you change your mind about cruising

out of NYC. Are you saying that only passengers

from thei area act like that? There are plenty

if people from other parts of the county that do not

act like that. There are plenty of passengers

that travel from other parts of the county

to cruise out of NYC and some even fly in

from other countries.

We are from this are and our friends

are too, we do not act like that.

We have been on other cruises

out of NYC and we have never

seen behavior like this before.

I wish everyone lots more Happy

Cruising in the future with

less unruly passengers.

I truly feel sorry for the hart

working crew when they have to

deal with people like this

Marion

Marion, I met far more nice people on board. But I have many cruises completed and never have I seen a pack of people like this group. My opinion is that this type of group would not ever be on a cruise out of Miami, Tampa, New Orleans or other ports. I may be wrong here. But I have to travel to cruise (no ports in Illinois) so why would I travel to NYC and risk a repeat?

BTW, I loved our mini-vacation in Manhattan and look forward to returning. Just not to cruise and risk being confined with this group again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

you no longer get stuck in the middle of the slide?

it's been fixed?

Yep...the slide is working!!! :D :D

Just got back from the January 22nd cruise.

I spoke to the NCL crew person fixing it and it was the pump and water levels that were an issue.

I viewed the first girls going down it that day.

I believe it was the afternoon of the third day at sea going to the Caribbean that it opened.

The kids loved it although I heard it was very slow.

I will prepare a review soon and post it here later.

Great crew as always on the GEM...some bad passengers and kids.

My grandkids refused to go the the kids club.

One family was kicked off in St. Maarten.

Some very obnoxious, rude people onboard. :(

Still had a fantastic cruise. :)

Don