Southern Cruise flight question

luv2go1

We are sailing on Adventure in April. I'm trying to find airfare. Is an 11:10 departure flight leaving from San Juan do-able?

Yes, I think it's possible, but I'd feel more comfortable with a flight after noon. I'd do self-assist disembarkation.

We are sailing on Adventure in April. I'm trying to find airfare. Is an 11:10 departure flight leaving from San Juan do-able?

I would also try to get a later flight. Debarkation can be somewhat chaotic there, as well as getting through customs. Then, at the airport, your luggage must go through an agricultural inspection prior to checking in, so it's best to allow more time before your flight.

75% probably fine. I left at that time a couple of years back and had no issues (was coming off a Carnival ship).

Others may know of current conditions at SJU, such as slower customs, airport, etc. I would post in the port forum as well.

On my trip this coming spring I chose to fly home in the late afternoon and use that as my "visit San Juan" time as car rentals are dirt cheap. It was cheaper to fly in early the day of debark (direct from FLL after overnight stay) and fly home later, than to fly in the night before, stay overnight, tour San Juan on embark day, cruise, then leave earlier.

We had a crazy experience in the San Juan airport so for there, or Hawaii, we always include a buffer of extra time. The reason is the agricultural check. We ended up at the airport with two HUGE groups of students on a trip. They got just ahead of us and the agricultural check took us forever. In fact, we had to tell someone with the airline that we really had to check in or we were going to miss our flight. That was so close that we don't ever book without having flashbacks of this experience. We also had a major traffic problem created by an accident that almost caused us to miss a flight out of Atlanta. When we got to the gate, they were boarding the LAST ONES! They were about to give up our seats to stand by passengers. NOW...we book later. I'll hang out in the airport rather than have the stress.

I would much prefer to be at the airport checked in 2 hrs before our flight then to worry if we will get there ontime. Next year instead of flying out the afternoon we disembark in FLL, we will spend 1 night and leave in the AM. Living on the West Coast, means a 10 PM or later arrival for us.

My sister and I did self disembark from the jewel in August. Her flight was at 9:30 mine was at 10:50. I remember I had time to eat breakfast at the airport.

This has been asked many times. 1/2 of the people will tell you book a late flight, the other half will say early. I have taken the southern route 5 times, have always taken the 9:30am Philly flight and have been in the airport before 8am doing self departure. They have done a good job renewing the airport. All doors now have the USDA check. If one line is long move to the next door. Good luck

My parents had a terrible time after disembarking in San Juan a few years back and they had a noon(ish) flight. They were running at full speed through the airport to make their flight. They are currently on Adventure docking in San Juan on Sunday and they made sure their flight this time was well into the late afternoon. I think everyone has a different experience- some get lucky, some don't. Good Luck!

I don't know when you were there last...but I was at the San Juan airport three weeks ago, and all doors most definitely did NOT have the USDA inspection...in fact, there were no signs directing people that they MUST clear that inspection FIRST...before you can check in. Upon corresponding with my table mates upon my return home, every single one of us missed that inspection (it was only at door A), tried to check in, only to then be directed to door A...where the line was out the door to the sidewalk. Oh, and did I mention that there are NO porters at that airport to help you with luggage...none, nada! I broke my shoulder in March and schlepping two heavy bags, back and forth between lines, was no picnic. I watched one customs line which absolutely did not move for ten minutes...in short..that airport is NOT traveler friendly...and I would never book an early flight out of there...too many things can go wrong!

We just flew back from San Juan on 11/8 at 11:40 am Jet Blue to JFK. We had plenty of time to get to airport - we were in group that disembarked at 8:15 am. We did use Choice Air and if you go to them, they will not let you book a flight too early. We had plenty of time to get a sandwich and rest a bit before getting on a full flight which had just landed at about 11 am from JFK!

Do remember that they start to board about 30 minutes before takeoff and they want to get going and leave on time. So an 11:10 flight would actually board at 10:40 and you might be running close if there are lines.

I don't know when you were there last...but I was at the San Juan airport three weeks ago, and all doors most definitely did NOT have the USDA inspection...in fact, there were no signs directing people that they MUST clear that inspection FIRST...before you can check in. Upon corresponding with my table mates upon my return home, every single one of us missed that inspection (it was only at door A), tried to check in, only to then be directed to door A...where the line was out the door to the sidewalk. Oh, and did I mention that there are NO porters at that airport to help you with luggage...none, nada! I broke my shoulder in March and schlepping two heavy bags, back and forth between lines, was no picnic. I watched one customs line which absolutely did not move for ten minutes...in short..that airport is NOT traveler friendly...and I would never book an early flight out of there...too many things can go wrong!

What airline did you fly?

I was just there last month..had a noon flight..one of the easiest quickest disembarkation we've ever done (off RCI Jewel) and at SJU by 8:30am...wish I would have had an earlier flight..but it's always a gamble regardless of where you are. I would take that flight time JMHO.

Have flown in/out of SJU many times. Never have any issues. I normally book our flights for the earliest I can get after 12:00. For next April on Adventure, I booked a 1:50 flight on SW, earliest I could get that was after noon. I have booked like an 11:50 flight before with no problems. Last time we were off the ship at 8 am, at the airport and through security before 9:30. In all the years we have flown out of there, we have never hit any issues that caused us concerns about making our flights.

They have done a lot of work at the airport and we now think it is just as good as any other, in fact way better than many airports here in the states.

If you can self-disembark, then I would not hesitate to book that flight.

We walked off the ship as soon as it was allowed, breezed through customs, jumped in a cab, and arrived at the airport around 7:30am. There were no lines at check in, or at the agricultural screening. We were at the gate before 8am. We had a 1pm flight booked, but was able to get onto 9:30am flight standby. (Our airline was JetBlue)

I think the key is getting off the ship as early as possible, before lines start to form at customs, the taxi stand, or the aiport.