Any 5k/10k/Half or Full Marathon Runners/Walkers?

Flip2cruise

I am from Nashport OH, between Newark and Columbus. My husband got me running when we got married 10 years ago and I now focus on the marathon because my body feels best with this length. I have been on the Destiny too. I love the course it takes.

Im always amazed at all the cities in Ohio, that I have never heard of:p

When is your next race?

Im always amazed at all the cities in Ohio, that I have never heard of:p

When is your next race?

My next race is the Ecothon 10K in Cummberland Ohio. It is at the Wild's if you have heard of it. This race is out in the wilderness around animals through huge hills. I'm pretty sure I will be in it.

After running for about 10 years my feet got so bad I had to have surgery on both. I had it done the 18th to cut out my bunions. It is getting better but its hard not being able to even walk. I can't wait to run again but I was told no running for at least 8-10 weeks. I normally run the Flying Pig after the Ecothon but I think a marathon is to much after my surgery. I hope this surgery helps me gain endurance to get another PR in the marathon. I want to train hard after recovery for the Columbus or Las Vegas Marathon.:)

Is the Flying Pig Maratho your next race?

i hope your recovery goes smoothly

i can HIGHLY recommend the Las Vegas marathon-i ran it this year and it was a lot of fun! great course, great time!

nancy

Nancy:

Tommorrow will make it 3 weeks from the surgery and things are improving each day. We love running the Las Vegas Marathon. My husband and I have been it the last 7 times.:) That is one of our favorite marathons.

i am glad you are recovering well!

have you ever considered running the chicago marathon? it is awesome-but i am partial since i live here :)

nancy

Yeah, each year I think about trying the Chicago. I want to because this course is recommended for breaking PR's and alot of fun.

it is an awesome course and it is flat! there are cheering spectators for all 26.2 miles it is really inspiring!

this is the 30th anniversary running of the chicago marathon!

come run it! you will love it!

nancy

The 30th Chicago would make my first marathon there even more interesting. I will have to see how my feet heal and in relation to other races we run, like the Las Vegas. As I recover I want to begin slowly(hopefully) and eventually marathon train again. What awards do they give away for overall and age groups? Do they have elite runners begin earlier like he Boston, and if so do you know how to qualify for this? If you're not sure I'll look it up.

Thanks,

Cassandra

it is an awesome course and it is flat! there are cheering spectators for all 26.2 miles it is really inspiring!

this is the 30th anniversary running of the chicago marathon!

come run it! you will love it!

nancy

The 30th Chicago would make my first marathon there even more interesting. I will have to see how my feet heal and in relation to other races we run, like the Las Vegas. As I recover I want to begin slowly(hopefully) and eventually train again. What awards do they give away for overall and age groups? Do they have elite runners begin earlier like he Boston, and if so do you know how to qualify for this?

i know that they have preferred corrals for the elite runners-i think there are 3 groups of preferred corrals

i dont know about awards (I am not that good of a runner)

but i got an awesome medal!

fyi....last year the marathon sold out by mid march so if you are considering it dont wait too long

nancy

i know that they have preferred corrals for the elite runners-i think there are 3 groups of preferred corrals

i dont know about awards (I am not that good of a runner)

but i got an awesome medal!

fyi....last year the marathon sold out by mid march so if you are considering it dont wait too long

nancy

Hi Nancy:

I never new how fast the Chicago filled up. This year it may be closed even earlier because it is the 30th. That's great that you run and complete marathons. It takes alot of confidence and devotion just to enter and put your body through all the training. I remember completing my first marathon. Crossing the line brought joyous tears along with the "gold" put around my neck. Keep up the good work.

Lately I've been trying to find a marathon which can be run during a cruise, stop in port, run the race and get back on board. The only problem is you loose about 3-4 hours of your cruise relaxation vacation, but I will do it some day.

Cassandra

• 8 months later...

Hey there, I will also be at the Disney Marathon Weekend but we are doing the 1/2

Actually just got back, we did the ToT 13K on Sat night, it was so much fun running through MGM at night.

I have done 1 1/2 before and was no speed demon by any means, I am a walker but trying to incorporate some jogging, slogging, wogging, whatever you want to call it....;)

We are looking to do a full marathon sometime next year, probably in the fall. I would love to go goofy one year but maybe 2010:D

Kim

Kim:

I am actually signed up for the goofy challenge, but i unexpectedly had surgery in July so I cannot start back to running for another week (doctor's orders) so there is not enough time to train for both.

I saw the t o t run informaiton and thought it sounded like a lot of fun-but disney is sooooo expensive, i could not justify going more than once every few years!

nancy

We used to be owners in the Disney Vacation Club and spent many wonderful vacations at WDW when the kids were younger. We have since sold that, but now that I'm a runner and getting into longer races, I would like to run the Disney Marathon. Not sure I could get up for doing the Goofy Challenge, but would really enjoy running the full marathon. I'm waiting until my son is old enough to enter and hoping that we can run it together in 2012 - I'll be 51 then. Funny how I fully expect to be more capable at 51 then I am now at 45. Time will tell.

• 1 year later...
i will post about my experience at the disney marathon when i return. i am looking forward to it...and i love any excuse to go to disney :)

Nancy,

How was the experience?

Im going to do the 1/2 next year, the morning before boarding the ship:eek:

Planning to take lots of pics with the characters along the route, so it will be a fun, relaxing race. Then...pig out on the ship:p

Its always been a goal of mine to combine cruising and Running, so this will be my chance.

I wish I could do the Goofy, maybe in 2012.:D

Im checking all the dis boards for info..looks like my best bet is to stay at a Disney Resort and use the magic express from/to the airport. After the race go back to the airport and take the ship transfer to Port Canaveral.

• 1 month later...

Love this Thread!!!!! LibertyCruiser, I'm glad you brought this thread back up.

I started a thread on running for weightloss on this forum a few years back called "I'm Running to the Ship". I was trying to promote healthy weightloss on here vs. all the fad diet stuff. Then, I violated Treadmill 101 and tore up my high hamstring pretty bad. Got back into running enough a few years ago and did my first 5K in years, then got foot problems and other excuses. But, today, I signed up for the 10K in the American Heroes Race down here in Texas Memorial Day weekend. Now I have to train. I'll check in when I can.

Shooting for the Houston Marathon in January!

Hey everyone!

I have just started running again about two weeks ago, after a layoff for SynVisc injections in the left knee. I would love to do one more marathon before I am 50 (I am 46).

I have completed three marathons---Disney (once, didn't particularly like it) and Marine Corps(twice). Marine Corps in DC was BY FAR the most fabulous experience of my life!!! After losing 59 pounds and training by walking then running, I was overcome with pride and emotions when crossing that finish line. Hubby is a former Marine, so I love them and respect them for what they do.

Have to say, it is VERY humbling to have a uniformed Marine bend down to remove the timing chip off your shoe at the finish line, and no better feeling in the world than having a Marine place that finisher's medal around your neck!!!!!!!

I say, keep running, set a bunch of mini-goals and get to work on them.

Hey everyone!

I have just started running again about two weeks ago, after a layoff for SynVisc injections in the left knee. I would love to do one more marathon before I am 50 (I am 46).

I have completed three marathons---Disney (once, didn't particularly like it) and Marine Corps(twice). Marine Corps in DC was BY FAR the most fabulous experience of my life!!! After losing 59 pounds and training by walking then running, I was overcome with pride and emotions when crossing that finish line. Hubby is a former Marine, so I love them and respect them for what they do.

Have to say, it is VERY humbling to have a uniformed Marine bend down to remove the timing chip off your shoe at the finish line, and no better feeling in the world than having a Marine place that finisher's medal around your neck!!!!!!!

I say, keep running, set a bunch of mini-goals and get to work on them.

That's why I like the American Heroes Race It honors all branches. There will be speaches, posting of colors, F-16 and Helicopterflyovers, 21 gun salute, etc. When you get a stich in your side while running, it is easy to think of all their sacrifices and helps you push through.

Keep on Runnin!

Archived