Any 5k/10k/Half or Full Marathon Runners/Walkers?

Flip2cruise

Gaining some steam. Yesterday was a non workout day; but got up to 5 miles in 70 minutes on the treadmill the night before. it will take some time, though I am very impatient. Dropped a few pounds already, but I know how that goes.

So, I was just perusing this section of CC. Haven't been here yet and the title of the thread caught my eye, of course! I leave for my Alaska cruise the morning of this exciting event. We are driving out from Minnesota. The hard part will be trying to figure out how to get my race packet on Friday before the EXPO closes. IF I run, I'll do the 1/2 and it's $100. Just expensive enough to make me think twice about being able to get there on time. I was thinking I could email the powers to be and explain my dilemma, but I'm sure there are LOTS of runners with dilemmas.... Anyway, this race is on my radar and I wanted to say hello and I have to try to find a way to make it work!

So, I was just perusing this section of CC. Haven't been here yet and the title of the thread caught my eye, of course! I leave for my Alaska cruise the morning of this exciting event. We are driving out from Minnesota. The hard part will be trying to figure out how to get my race packet on Friday before the EXPO closes. IF I run, I'll do the 1/2 and it's $100. Just expensive enough to make me think twice about being able to get there on time. I was thinking I could email the powers to be and explain my dilemma, but I'm sure there are LOTS of runners with dilemmas.... Anyway, this race is on my radar and I wanted to say hello and I have to try to find a way to make it work!

Could you have them have it at a local running store and pick it up there on Saturday?

It was a great evening out tonight, except for some wind, so I ran outside this evening just before sunset. Got some sprints in. I walked around the neighborhood (big oval) a couple of times to warm up and then did sprints on the long side that was out of the wind. I would walk around the oval on the wind side, and then did a sprint when I got to the quiet side again, etc., etc.

Nice to get outside again and run and not just be on a treadmill!

so when y'all are on a cruise, do you still get some miles in on the ship?

I'll be running a 5K the day before I sail, and will NEED to get a few miles in the days following. Living in So Cal I can run outdoors year round so I haven't used a tread mill in eons (6 years) .... but not too sure I'd like going around the track a zillion times (ok 18 IIRC). Just curious what others do.

Not usually. I gave up after my first couple of cruises. I really don't enjoy running into the headwind you get up on the track and dealing with all the [human] obstacles. I'll do the treadmill, but it depends on the ship how good it is and sometimes they have "speed limits" set on them at like 5.0 or 6.0, so you can jog but not run. Also, depending on how the treadmill is oriented compared to the ship and how the ship is handling waves that day makes a difference. I also get a bit lazy on a cruise:D I just make to a point to use the stairs as much as possible during the cruise.

Glad to see some activity on this thread!!

I dont have a race until Sept(Air Force Marathon), usually I run the Flying Pig Marathon the first of May. Im skipping it this year, might do a few 10K's in the area between now and Sept.

Weather is getting warmer, so I can really stick to a schedule.

Not usually. I gave up after my first couple of cruises. I really don't enjoy running into the headwind you get up on the track and dealing with all the [human] obstacles. I'll do the treadmill, but it depends on the ship how good it is and sometimes they have "speed limits" set on them at like 5.0 or 6.0, so you can jog but not run. Also, depending on how the treadmill is oriented compared to the ship and how the ship is handling waves that day makes a difference. I also get a bit lazy on a cruise:D I just make to a point to use the stairs as much as possible during the cruise.

thanks for the reply. I'd thought about the wind, "obstacles", and waves ... but never even thought about limiters on the treadmills. Hmmm. Will probably pack my gear and play it by ear.

thanks for the reply. I'd thought about the wind, "obstacles", and waves ... but never even thought about limiters on the treadmills. Hmmm. Will probably pack my gear and play it by ear.

The limiters are actually not a bad idea. People running on treadmills when the ship starts to rock is a tricky thing. If they didn't have the limiters on them, then they would probably have to turn them off during any wavy conditions. Something is better than nothing.

I dont have a race until Sept(Air Force Marathon), usually I run the Flying Pig Marathon the first of May. Im skipping it this year, might do a few 10K's in the area between now and Sept.

Warmer weather is a good thing/bad thing for me. Give me a nice 60 degree day to run and I am fine; but these 100 degree days down here in the summer are not running days. I am not a morning person and don't have time to work out in the mornings anyway except on weekends, so that is not a way for me to beat the heat either. Give me Spring and Fall:)

Well, I've dropped several pounds in the last two weeks since I started running. Eating pretty well too. Even bought a steamer pan to steam vegetables. The more weight I lose the easier it is to run or course.:)

Did the elliptacle and "seated" bike today at the gym before lifting instead of treadmill. What do all of you do to cross-train for your legs? I need some tips!

Spinning classes are the ultimate workout, you can burn about 5-700 cal an hour, I take 2 classes a week. I also try to get a couple games of racquetball at the club. In the gym I do lots of lunges and squats.

Have you checked out the runner's world forum? Lots of great information and tips. Here is the link http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/index.jsp

Congrats on the weight loss...running, a balance diet + lots of water can really cause the weight to melt.

I'm focusing on core strength at the moment so for me it's Pilates. It's also helped my breathing. I also like rowing for a total body workout.

and +1 for Runner's World

Pilates are awesome!! Was doing that 3x a week about 2 years ago. At the time I was taking a class at the community college.

It really does strengthen your core muscles, when people first come to class they think its easy, halfway through the initial class, reality sets in and they are sweating...lol

Pilates are awesome!! Was doing that 3x a week about 2 years ago. At the time I was taking a class at the community college.

It really does strengthen your core muscles, when people first come to class they think its easy, halfway through the initial class, reality sets in and they are sweating...lol

:rolleyes: yeah I was one of those people at one time. I thought "how hard can it be?" It only took one class for me to know. The next day, It. Just. Hurt. But it didn't hurt to wash my hair, so I kept coming back for more. :D

I'll be running a 5K the day before I sail, and will NEED to get a few miles in the days following. Living in So Cal I can run outdoors year round so I haven't used a tread mill in eons (6 years) .... but not too sure I'd like going around the track a zillion times (ok 18 IIRC). Just curious what others do.

I run a half every Labor Day weekend, and my cruises are always in August, so yes, I always get in runs on the ship - that's one of my favorite parts of crusing! Running up on the deck in the morning when they are heading into port...sunshine and clear blue water...it doesn't get any better than that! ;)

Spinning classes are the ultimate workout, you can burn about 5-700 cal an hour, I take 2 classes a week. I also try to get a couple games of racquetball at the club. In the gym I do lots of lunges and squats.

Have you checked out the runner's world forum? Lots of great information and tips. Here is the link http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/index.jsp

Congrats on the weight loss...running, a balance diet + lots of water can really cause the weight to melt.

I was actually going to go check those out the other day but forgot. I am actually trying to read back through almost three years of RW that have backed up on me:D. I created a list of all of them and am writing down the date as I read them. I started with April 09 and am working my way backwards, though May just came yesterday. I was in the habit of starting them but never finishing. After reading the article on the FDNY guy who got hit by the bus and then finished a marathon a few years later, I know I have no excuses!

Doing good on the diet and water. I bought a steamer pot and have added vegetables to my diet, which were sorely missing before.

Legs were completely dead when I did treadmill yesterday, so I am doing a total rest day today and will hit it again tomorrow. They have spin classes at my gym, so that will be good. I just need to find what I did with my gel seat!

Thanks for the help!

Hi LibertyCruiser:

I haven't spoken with you for a long time. I have been searching cruise critic for a cruise which can begin after running a marathon and saw you are doing that in Jan 2010. I was wondering if you were running the Ogden 20K Classic May 24? I run it every year and love it. I am interested in the Air Force Marathon and see you are running it too!:D

Cassandra

Bad week last week with work and life and was exhuseted by the weekend. Only got a few miles in at beginning of the week. Started off the week good today. Got the 6.2 in on the treadmill tonight and improved time a little. High upper left leg hamstring got sore about mile 5 so I eased up. This is the one I messed up a few years ago so am paranoid as can be about it. Will do other things the next couple of days and not run again until Thursday and will make it a light one. I did not have to worry about these things when I was 20 dang it!!

• 1 month later...

Well, tomorrow is the big day - my first 10K in 10 years:). I've been slacking a bit the last couple of weeks. My goal is to finish. Judging by the times from previous years, I hope not to be the last one to finish....

Well, tomorrow is the big day - my first 10K in 10 years:). I've been slacking a bit the last couple of weeks. My goal is to finish. Judging by the times from previous years, I hope not to be the last one to finish....

Chuck: How did you do? I am going to do my 1st 5K ever at 47 yrs old next wekend and hope not to be last either!! :D

okay, CruiseCat and BelfreeBat, how did your races go?

I am sure I am not the only one who wants to congratulate you on finishing, and checking out your times!

Have been running now for a few weeks----after a year or so layoff---and have dropped 13 pounds, one size in my pants(yippeeeee!), and am regaining my stamina for running. Lots less walking, more running. Putting one foot in front of the other. Moving forward.

I am enjoying all the encouragement and focus on goals and fitness that I have been reading here.

I have signed up to run a 5K here in my hometown on July 4th. It's called the Watermelon Run. Every finisher gets a whole watermelon (and a t-shirt).

• 1 month later...

Hi - going on our first cruise (Sensation) next month. My 15 year old son, who belongs to an olympic run club, is an avid runner; both cross country and track. He is excited that there is a track on the ship and plans to use it. Are there any serious runners out there who have used the track on this ship - Grant is wondering about whether he should bring his competitive shoes / spikes, etc. Is the track decent or nothing special? thanks for any feedback on this ... he will appreciate hearing from you ... Chris

Chuck: How did you do? I am going to do my 1st 5K ever at 47 yrs old next wekend and hope not to be last either!! :D

okay, CruiseCat and BelfreeBat, how did your races go?

I am sure I am not the only one who wants to congratulate you on finishing, and checking out your times!

Have been running now for a few weeks----after a year or so layoff---and have dropped 13 pounds, one size in my pants(yippeeeee!), and am regaining my stamina for running. Lots less walking, more running. Putting one foot in front of the other. Moving forward.

I am enjoying all the encouragement and focus on goals and fitness that I have been reading here.

I have signed up to run a 5K here in my hometown on July 4th. It's called the Watermelon Run. Every finisher gets a whole watermelon (and a t-shirt).

I didn't do too bad. I did 1:18:47 which was a 12:41 pace. My problem has been lack of exercise and running since!!!! I really need to get back into it now that we are not in tripple digits everyday!

• 4 months later...

Archived