Crown Princess arrival in San Pedro delayed 24 hours

IECalCruiser

Wow....sounds like this cruise is a bit cursed....but the only thing that would truly make it entirely cursed is to hold onto the anger. That will definitely ruin your entire cruise....not just for a day or so of inconveniences. That would be the real tragedy. Yes, stuff happens; No, life is not always fair....and nothing can change the fact that this happened.

Hope everyone is able to stay healthy and enjoy the remaining days.... and especially the unbelievable compensation you are all now receiving. Here is to hoping for the continued recovery of the ill crew member.

What cruise was this, the 28 day South Pacific round trip from LA?

While I am sure that people on the now 6 day Mexico cruise are disappointed, I think I would have made the best of the extra time in LA. No shortage of things to see and do there.

Put it behind you, enjoy the cruise and give some thought to the best use possible for that 20% discount on a future cruise! Used wisely, that discount could make this one the equivalent of a free cruise.

Terry

It's the 28 day I think.

Longer cruises have a greater chance of a significant noro outbreak (+3%), because of the extended contact giving a better chance to spread. Shorter cruises have a better chance of small incidents due to turnover (infected but not symptomatic or highly contagious leave the ship to help reduce spread, but new cases get on more frequently.

Question - is the percentage based on all reported pax over length of cruise? If so, longer cruises will have a lot higher rate of reporting as there is just more time for infections to be caught and reported over say 4 weeks.

The CDC Vessel Sanitation Program has an Investigative Update on its web page. To quote in part:

"Cruise Line: Princess Cruises

Cruise Ship: Crown Princess

Voyage Dates: October 18-November 16, 2014

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 158 of 3,009 (5.25%) [Note: 145 passenger cases (4.82%) in the past 15 days of the voyage]

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 14 of 1,160 (1.21%) [Note: 11 crew cases (0.95%) in the past 15 days of the voyage]

Predominant symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea

Causative agent: Norovirus..." quoted from http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2014/november16_crown_princess.htm

Best wishes to all concerned.

Salacia

...Question - is the percentage based on all reported pax over length of cruise? If so, longer cruises will have a lot higher rate of reporting as there is just more time for infections to be caught and reported over say 4 weeks.

I also wonder how many infected pax don't report out of fear of being kicked off the ship or confined to their cabins?

The CDC Vessel Sanitation Program has an Investigative Update on its web page. To quote in part:

"Cruise Line: Princess Cruises

Cruise Ship: Crown Princess

Voyage Dates: October 18-November 16, 2014

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 158 of 3,009 (5.25%) [Note: 145 passenger cases (4.82%) in the past 15 days of the voyage]

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 14 of 1,160 (1.21%) [Note: 11 crew cases (0.95%) in the past 15 days of the voyage]

Predominant symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea

Causative agent: Norovirus..." quoted from http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2014/november16_crown_princess.htm

Best wishes to all concerned.

Salacia

Seems like a strange outbreak. Normal incubation period for Noro is 12-48 hours. Apparently only 13 of the passenger cases and 3 of the crew cases occurred in the first half of the cruise. Wonder were it came from?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

[quote name='IECalCruiser']Seems like a strange outbreak. Normal incubation period for Noro is 12-48 hours. Apparently only 13 of the passenger cases and 3 of the crew cases occurred in the first half of the cruise. Wonder were it came from?
[/QUOTE]

As happened to me on the Pacific Princess, they could have used transport in common with another ship in port midway through, or another similar situation. The early cases then would have had nothing to do with the epidemic.

[quote name='colinla']Is Princess offering cancel w/ full refund option? Seems reasonable for either single problem (1 day shorter cruise, norovirus).[/QUOTE]

I sure wouldn't hold my breath unless they have changed their attitude about noro in the last couple years

Bill

Sent from Iphone 6 using Cruise Critic App

[quote name='colinla']Is Princess offering cancel w/ full refund option? Seems reasonable for either single problem (1 day shorter cruise, norovirus).[/QUOTE]

Why would you think that? Embarking passengers are being offered a day and a half in OBC and 20% in future cruise credit. Also, the ship will have been disinfected prior to elaboration. So, once again, why would Princess offer a full refund?

[quote name='Working 2 Cruise']Why would you think that? Embarking passengers are being offered a day and a half in OBC and 20% in future cruise credit. Also, the ship will have been disinfected prior to elaboration. So, once again, why would Princess offer a full refund?[/QUOTE]

So the people getting on the ship for the next cruise have a choice in whether they want to put themselves at risk of coming down with it.

Bill

[quote name='S.S.Oceanlover']So the people getting on the ship for the next cruise have a choice in whether they want to put themselves at risk of coming down with it.

Bill[/QUOTE]
There have been a number of occurrences of Noro on cruise ships. I don't know of any that have offered a full refund to those wanting to cancel the day of the cruise

[quote name='paul929207']There have been a number of occurrences of Noro on cruise ships. I don't know of any that have offered a full refund to those wanting to cancel the day of the cruise[/QUOTE]

You are quite correct. They will not budge on the cancellation.

I have tried in the past and I got a definitive "NO".

Bill

They are equally as likely to get it on the plane. Or at work. Or pretty much anywhere people congregate.

In fact, since they will be doing a sanitation run and probably operating under Noro procedures, unless someone brings a new case on board, the odds of getting it are probably LESS than any of those (but not zero).

[quote name='S.S.Oceanlover']While i fully understand the part of the ship being disinfected what does that have to with people wanting to be safe and not get it on the next weeks ship?

Bill[/quote]