AT&T iPhone/data plan help for cruise!!!

We will be sailing on the Allure soon, and it seems that every year, AT&T has some new international plan or settings need to be different. We have iPhones that we'll be bringing and want to be able to use but only when we want to - we do NOT want to incur tons of billing.

What specific settings do you all set your phone to, so that you can still send/receive texts (including pictures) when you want to, can make calls or surf the internet (again when you want to)?

Then what international plans have you added for the cruise that you've been happy with? Every person I talk to at AT&T tells me something different...

Thanks in advance!

We will be sailing on the Allure soon, and it seems that every year, AT&T has some new international plan or settings need to be different. We have iPhones that we'll be bringing and want to be able to use but only when we want to - we do NOT want to incur tons of billing.

What specific settings do you all set your phone to, so that you can still send/receive texts (including pictures) when you want to, can make calls or surf the internet (again when you want to)?

Then what international plans have you added for the cruise that you've been happy with? Every person I talk to at AT&T tells me something different...

Thanks in advance!

If you want to send and receive texts that include pictures (without being limited to iMessage), then you must leave cellular data on, which means all your background apps will be consuming data. You better have a hefty amount of data in your plan, else you will be in for a very large bill when you get home.

Edited by clarea

I tried the package for cruising but I was never able to connect to Cellular At Sea. AT&T removed it when I returned and didn't charge me. Since then (which was just last Feb), I've done unlimited internet and have been able to imessage without a problem. It's more expensive, but I needed to remote in to work once or twice anyway.

I would recommend just buying the ship's data plan and using whatsapp for texts/photos. I have also successfully used Skype on Allure to make short phone calls. The usage you describe may seem like a little amount, but I would guess you will easily exceed the cost of RCCL's data plan. As an added bonus if you get the data plan you can use it the whole time without worrying about how much you are using.

Thanks in advance!

We have T-Mobile and there is no charge for international data and 20 cents per call (no special plan). We did a TA in April and once we were close to shore and on shore, we emailed, Facebooked, searched the web, etc. - all FREE. I ended up getting charged one dollar for 5 phone calls I made in Copenhagen!

To avoid using data, you only need to turn "data roaming" off. With data roaming off, you are still able to send and receive normal (SMS) texts but not picture (MMS) messages.

Perhaps the reason you get different answers from AT&T folks is that they just recently changed their international plans. There is no single plan that covers both at sea and in port. The at sea (cruise ship) packages are rather expensive. If you can restrict your messaging and data usage to only when in port, the $30 Passport package, to me, is the best deal and what I intend to get when we cruise Panama next year.

If you want to send and receive texts that include pictures (without being limited to iMessage), then you must leave cellular data on, which means all your background apps will be consuming data. You better have a hefty amount of data in your plan, else you will be in for a very large bill when you get home.

You can now control cellular data on an app by app basis. This gives one more control in these types of situations. Settings > Cellular, scroll down to "use cellular data for."

You can now control cellular data on an app by app basis. This gives one more control in these types of situations. Settings > Cellular, scroll down to "use cellular data for."

Agreed, but I thought that might be more complicated than the OP was comfortable with.

I always call AT&T and ask them how to accomplish my desired result. They will send you an email confirming the instructions. If ever there's a billing issue you have the email.

This is absolutely the best advice on this thread. All the other advice, although it maybe correct, is hearsay. Just call your service provider and talk to an expert. It's a whole lot better than taking hearsay advice that could cost you a bundle. BTW, the call to your service provider is FREE and takes less time than posting here.

This is absolutely the best advice on this thread. All the other advice, although it maybe correct, is hearsay. Just call your service provider and talk to an expert. It's a whole lot better than taking hearsay advice that could cost you a bundle. BTW, the call to your service provider is FREE and takes less time than posting here.

Except that the OP said he was getting conflicting information from his service provider. Also, you may feel the advice in this thread is hearsay but what I posted earlier is based on my experience as an ATT customer and iPhone owner.

This is definitely not hearsay :) I've been on a number of cruises since mid-August and have purchased the ATT cruise plan each month. I have been very happy with it. I purchase all 3 tiers (voice/text/data). I come out of airplane mode a couple of times a day and update what I need to update. I have yet to use up all the minutes/texts and data, even when I've cruised 12 days in a month. The plan will work when you are in a Caribbean port and on the island's local carrier. That's not true outside North America, but there is a list of the ports that are covered. You can also add an international data plan to cover more internet usage while you are in port and using local carriers.

Since it is $120 for the full ATT cruise ship plan, I think it is pretty comparable to what they are charging for internet on board. And with ATT I get the calls and texts, too.

By the way, if you do go over the allotments, the overage rates are pretty reasonable and inline with what they charge for the package.

Edited by MattInFLL

I can't take credit for this advice - I cut and pasted it from a thread several years ago - but I've used it year after year after year and it's done me well. Also remember that St. Thomas uses AT&T, you can pick up the signal about 12 miles off shore, and it's free just as if you were using it in your kitchen at home (your current plan still applies).

iPhone & Travel

Turning the Airplane mode ON, is a safe idea for many, but it renders your iPhone unusable

Before the Ship leaves the Port we do the following :

1) we make sure the Data Roaming is turned off -- Settings/General/Network

2) we 'unconditionally forward' all calls to our Home phone number -- (Settings/Phone/Call Forwarding)

This step is crucial, because you will get charged for 2 min for every call, even if you did not pick it up.

3) We call AT&T and subscribe to their Global Messaging 50 Plan for 1 month. It costs $10 to send 50 Text/Pictures/Video messages and all the incoming messages are free. They also have a 200 message plan for $30.

If you follow this method you can leave your iPhone ON all the time and not worry about crazy phone bills. Texting works fine in the Ship/Ports and you can even make occasional calls from the Ship at $2.49/min and use the free wifi found in many Ports of call.

BTW, the three steps listed above works fine for travel to any foreign Country, since each Cruise Line is considered to be one. Our kids traveled around Europe last year with iPhones and "survived" with the 200 message plan and had no issues.

-----------------------

"Unconditional Call Forwarding" is the MOST IMPORTANT geek-speak term used in post#53 and others...

1. you DO NOT want airplane mode -- you WANT to be able to receive and send texts!

2. you WILL disable all DATA roaming (this is essential!)

3. you WILL buy an international data texting plan

4. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: you WILL use Unconditional Call Forwarding to forward your INCOMING calls to a number that is NOT your cell phone. You MUST do this before you leave your US port.

Here are instructions that I share with my team before we leave for projects outside the US:

I know many/most of you travel internationally frequently, but I have discovered a trick for AT&T phones that simplifies (eliminates) roaming charges for INBOUND and calls that go to voicemail ( at&t will bill you for incoming roaming for the inbound calls that are not answered if they go to voicemail -- a 3 minute minimum -- as in $8 per call) --

What you do is:

- at the airport right before you leave, forward your cell phone calls to a US number by using this technique;

This is called "Unconditional Call Forwarding" -- most AT&T customer serv reps do not know about this, and those who do won''t freely offer this technique:

1. On your phone, dial *#62# and click Send.

2. A phone number will be displayed. Write down the number (including +1)

THIS IS the voicemail access number for your phone. SAVE THIS!

3. To FORWARD your phone at the switch, before roaming, Dial **21*+1xxxyyyzzzz*11# and hit Send. +1xxxyyyzzzz is the number you want to forward to.

SO -- for example, to forward your phone to 1-212-555-1212, you will dial:

**21*+12125551212*11#

4. NOW, Dial *#21# to verify that the new settings are active.

Your phone will also show a "forwarding icon" in the top display.

5. When no longer desired, dial ##002# when you are back in AT&T territory (US) to reset everything back to normal.

6. After the reset, dial *#21# to verify that the new settings are active -- the "forwarded" number should be the number you saved in step #2.

Remember, incoming TEXTS are usually "free" -- up to the limit of your TEXT plan with AT&T. Outgoing texts are usually $0.50 (else, depending on your text plan) -- your phone will always be roaming, BUT you will never receive any calls since you set up the "Unconditional Call Forwarding"

YOU MUST do this forwarding thing BEFORE you leave the US.

- this forwards AT THE SWITCH (as opposed to the on-phone call forwarding)

- your phone will still be roaming in the roaming country -- so if you wish to make a call, you will simply make the call, but that's your choice.

- for data phones, make sure your "data roaming" is disabled

By doing this, all of your inbound calls will forward to another US number before it goes near the wireless -- and your mobile phone will never know that there was an incoming call.

AND - you can keep your phone in WiFi mode -- without worrying about insane roaming charges.

===================

Simply turning on "call forwarding" on your phone (iphone) will NOT be sufficient, since the INCOMING call and the outgoing call will "roam" and you will see a bill for about $8.00.

I have used this method dozens of times and I have never seen a data bill that exceeds my text plan.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY -- if you are in an emergency situation, your phone works outgoing (roaming) if you should need it.

The other safety setting is to go Settings > General > Network, and turn Cellular Data OFF. (Note: as Paul mentioned in a post above, use this to turn off Cellular Data usage for those specific apps, or all apps, that you do not want draining your data)

Then go Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data, and Set "Push" to OFF.

These two steps will ensure that if you are on a roaming network, it won't automatically download data and charge you.

Edited by dmwnc1959

This is definitely not hearsay :) I've been on a number of cruises since mid-August and have purchased the ATT cruise plan each month. I have been very happy with it. I purchase all 3 tiers (voice/text/data). I come out of airplane mode a couple of times a day and update what I need to update. I have yet to use up all the minutes/texts and data, even when I've cruised 12 days in a month. The plan will work when you are in a Caribbean port and on the island's local carrier. That's not true outside North America, but there is a list of the ports that are covered. You can also add an international data plan to cover more internet usage while you are in port and using local carriers.

Since it is $120 for the full ATT cruise ship plan, I think it is pretty comparable to what they are charging for internet on board. And with ATT I get the calls and texts, too.

By the way, if you do go over the allotments, the overage rates are pretty reasonable and inline with what they charge for the package.

It may not be heresay but it could still be incorrect info as things change with AT&T which is why I call them before each cruise and get another confirmation email.

Except that the OP said he was getting conflicting information from his service provider. Also, you may feel the advice in this thread is hearsay but what I posted earlier is based on my experience as an ATT customer and iPhone owner.

It doesn't matter that I believe the information on this thread is hearsay. What matters is what your service provider says. Suppose you rely upon information provided here that is incorrect. Do you honestly think you'd get a refund from your provider when you tell them "But I heard it on Cruise Critic"?

As to the conflicting information from the service provider, get it in writing. I know that AT&T and Verizon will send you, in writing, explicit instructions on how to set your phone to avoid large bills. Verizon told me what to do while I was on the phone and I received the emailed instructions while I was still on the phone. If you have it in writing then there is no argument about a refund is there?

Please don't get me wrong. I think posters here on cruise critic have the greatest intentions and will give advice based upon their experiences. But they may have a different provider or their provider may have changed policies. You are taking a big risk relying upon this kind of hearsay. And, yes, it is hearsay.

Why take the chance when you can contact your service provider and get the real story for sure. And, it takes less time than wading through a thread on cruise critic.

Also, I have learned the hard way not to give advice on subjects that can best be addressed by the real experts. Would you like to give someone some information that cost them several hundred dollars?

It doesn't matter that I believe the information on this thread is hearsay. What matters is what your service provider says. Suppose you rely upon information provided here that is incorrect. Do you honestly think you'd get a refund from your provider when you tell them "But I heard it on Cruise Critic"?

As to the conflicting information from the service provider, get it in writing. I know that AT&T and Verizon will send you, in writing, explicit instructions on how to set your phone to avoid large bills. Verizon told me what to do while I was on the phone and I received the emailed instructions while I was still on the phone. If you have it in writing then there is no argument about a refund is there?

Please don't get me wrong. I think posters here on cruise critic have the greatest intentions and will give advice based upon their experiences. But they may have a different provider or their provider may have changed policies. You are taking a big risk relying upon this kind of hearsay. And, yes, it is hearsay.

Why take the chance when you can contact your service provider and get the real story for sure. And, it takes less time than wading through a thread on cruise critic.

Also, I have learned the hard way not to give advice on subjects that can best be addressed by the real experts. Would you like to give someone some information that cost them several hundred dollars?

In my experience with multiple service providers, I've often found I know more about the services they offer than the agents I've spoken to and usually I've gotten that information from forums like this, so when I can share my experience I do. I don't think anyone suggested the OP doesn't need to or shouldn't contact the service provider and it sure won't hurt to be more knowledgeable when he does.

It may not be heresay but it could still be incorrect info as things change with AT&T which is why I call them before each cruise and get another confirmation email.

I didn't think anyone was suggesting that OP not call and get latest info. I do know mine is current as of today as I am currently on the plan. At any rate, the only way to get the cruise ship plan is to call - so that won't be an issue. But I can tell you when I call, I usually have to tell the rep about the plan and know more about it than they do :)

One other tip, when you add the data plan, be sure to know your bill cycle date. If your cruise falls over a bill cycle date you will need to purchase it for 2 months (or only use it for part of your cruise). Also you want to be sure to add it for the entire billing cycle (or else it pro-rates how many minutes, text and megabytes you get). You also want to be sure to tell them to put in an automatic cancel at the end of the bill cycle, so it doesn't auto renew the next month when you don't need it.