Interesting Interview with Micky Arison

cjknox

Seatrade conducted a wide ranging interview with Mucky Alison Carnival's Chairman. They discuss future new builds/concepts, Gerry Cahill's replacement, new executives, among other things.

I thought this was interesting what he said about building mega ships and the new class of Princess ships:

Now 'You don't think of the size,' the Carnival chief said. 'My concern is that the infrastructure around the world has not adjusted. Not a lot of ports can handle large ships.' And everyone, from Norwegian to MSC Cruises, is building them.

The latest generation Love Boat design originated with Meyer Werft, which had proposed a sky-diving attraction. As Arison told it, Princess evp fleet operations Rai Caluori got the idea to test a sky-diving simulator on Princess Cays, and Princess passengers weren't interested. It turned out Carnival went with Fincantieri for the Royal Princess prototype, and the sky-diving simulator was taken out of the design—only to appear now on Quantum of the Seas.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/arison-talks-newbuilds-new-blood-china-and-how-princess-almost-had-sky-diving.html#headlines

Seatrade conducted a wide ranging interview with Mucky Alison Carnival's Chairman. They discuss future new builds/concepts, Gerry Cahill's replacement, new executives, among other things.

Thanks Knox, that was a very good read. It was intriguing to see they have put a former Disney guy in charge of Customer Experience, and interesting that the mega ships offer better fuel efficiency (due to the number of passengers to spread cost over).

What I read within the article and also in between the lines of inference is that although the "other" lines are steaming ahead building the mega ships there is still a very mega need for smaller / midsize ships for the ports that cannot handle the "Uber Schiff's" and that perhaps it's time to focus on that market.

Perhaps Carnival will take a lesson from Yoda....

h7C75FEF9.jpeg

What I read within the article and also in between the lines of inference is that although the "other" lines are steaming ahead building the mega ships there is still a very mega need for smaller / midsize ships for the ports that cannot handle the "Uber Schiff's" and that perhaps it's time to focus on that market.

Perhaps Carnival will take a lesson from Yoda....

h7C75FEF9.jpeg

As long as there are fans of "traditional cruising" there will always be a market for the traditional size ship. Reading these forums is where I discovered just how strongly some people prefer that experience.

Do you think anyone will do a new build that size?

I can see a case for smaller ultra luxury, but I think the main stream lines are only going to build the larger ships for the foreseeable future.

Shouldn't that bode well for cruise fares overall?

More supply usually means lower prices overall. Would not be surprised to see even more fare differential between the older ships and newer ships.

Every ship that launches now, increases supply by a large number. Should mean more availability to ports that can handle those ships, more ports choosing to build facilities capable of handling those ships, and some more of the smaller ships being added to markets that can't handle the larger ships.

...I can see a case for smaller ultra luxury...and some more of the smaller ships being added to markets that can't handle the larger ships...

Yes, something along the line of a Spirit Class (2.0) that can fit under some of the restrictive bridges such as those in Charleston, Jacksonville, and Tampa.

Yes, something along the line of a Spirit Class (2.0) that can fit under some of the restrictive bridges such as those in Charleston, Jacksonville, and Tampa.

While I echo your thoughts on this, I would be more than shocked if Carnival would even seriously consider this.

The way I took it is that they will not build ships under 4000 passengers.

According to Mickey:

'What drives the size is fuel efficiency. You need 4,000 passengers on a ship to spread the costs.'

The way I took it is that they will not build ships under 4000 passengers.

According to Mickey:

'What drives the size is fuel efficiency. You need 4,000 passengers on a ship to spread the costs.'

I think you would be correct in your read.