Diving choices

ABQrobin

We have never dived on a cruise, in fact we just returned from our first cruise. Normally we do dive trips (both of us have over 500 dives), staying on an island and diving all week, 12-20 dives or more. Since we have just discovered the fun of cruising, we are thinking about combining the two.

So, for those of you who do it.... which would you pick?

we have done tons of dives in Cozumel and Roatan.. but we love both.

we have done Bahamas only on a liveaboard a decade ago but loved it.

We have a couple of choices out of Houston/Galveston...

7-day trip stopping in Key West, Nassau and Freeport.

7-day trip stopping in Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Cozumel.

7-day trip stopping in Roatan (only did southside of island, AKR is north), Belize, and Cozumel.

6-day trip stopping in Progreso, Cozumel, and Costa Maya.

First trip listed seems like diving is avail at both Bahamas stops.

Second trip we would dive at Grand Cayman (never been there) and Cozumel.

Third trip we would dive at Roatan and Cozumel, do Mayan ruins in Belize.

Fourth trip we would only dive Cozumel.

Which do you think would be best for us? We are thinking January or February.

I am leaning towards the Grand Cayman itinerary but all interest me for some reason.

Edited by ABQrobin

Since you're experienced divers, the first advice I'd give is to generally book your dives independently, ahead of your cruise; rather than using the ship's excursions. In general the ship's excursions will be larger groups, more expensive, and dives geared to the experience level of the "average" diver.

Since dives are typically in the morning, there is little problem with booking dives and then getting back to the ship with all kinds of time to either go out on another excursion, or explore the port.

You can also research the operators, and contact them to get an idea of what sites they offer, their pricing, and the size of your group.

Since the cruise ships are a near daily occurrence in ports, they typically can tell you exactly how transportation to and from the ship will be handled, and often they'll meet you at the ship.

For me, Roatan is one exception, as the cruise lines tend to use Anthony's Key Resort, which is an excellent operator, and not one you can book independently. The cost is reasonable there, considering the cruise line is getting their cut. However, I'm sure others have been to Roatan, and booked dives independently there, with good results.

Harris

Denver, CO

Thanks!

We aren't really looking for advanced diving. We have been there, done that. We actually just love relaxing diving with pretty reefs and fish. I shoot video and husband does photo.

Cozumel: I am thinking about using Scuba with Alison in Cozumel, heard they will hold the boat until the cruise ship comes in. That can be the biggest issue there since most dive boats go out between 8-9am and our ship won't be in port until around 10am most likely. I really don't want to book through the ship there.

Grand Cayman: Any dive op recommendations? From what I have read, Don Foster's is the cruise ship op and they get pretty good reviews. Any reason not to use them?

Roatan: Yes, we would like to use AKR since we have stayed and dived the southside of the island with CCV and loved it. We know the topography is completely different on the northside, near AKR so we would like to see it.

Bahamas: Still think it might be fun. We did 2 liveaboards to the outer islands and loved it but that was 8-10 years ago. Any thoughts? I know fishlife isn't what is was due to lionfish.

Thanks!

We aren't really looking for advanced diving. We have been there, done that. We actually just love relaxing diving with pretty reefs and fish. I shoot video and husband does photo.

Cozumel: I am thinking about using Scuba with Alison in Cozumel, heard they will hold the boat until the cruise ship comes in. That can be the biggest issue there since most dive boats go out between 8-9am and our ship won't be in port until around 10am most likely. I really don't want to book through the ship there. Lots of great choices here...we love Aldora but so many options and a pier for docking so easy to coordinate

Grand Cayman: Any dive op recommendations? From what I have read, Don Foster's is the cruise ship op and they get pretty good reviews. Any reason not to use them? Again...lots of operators but depending upon port times...tendering can be an issue so pretty easy to just go with Fosters

Roatan: Yes, we would like to use AKR since we have stayed and dived the southside of the island with CCV and loved it. We know the topography is completely different on the northside, near AKR so we would like to see it. Loved AKR...can't go wrong there...but as you know lots of good operators on the island.

Bahamas: Still think it might be fun. We did 2 liveaboards to the outer islands and loved it but that was 8-10 years ago. Any thoughts? I know fishlife isn't what is was due to lionfish.

We have also done liveaboard diving in the Bahamas and cruise ship diving...In Freeport we have been to nice reefs off the cruise ship and enjoyed out time with UNEXSO...but Nassau I have as yet to be happy with diving from the cruise ship...really need to get over to the other side of the island and that seems hard with the port times...but If you are going with a ship that uses Stuart's Cove maybe it would be better

Regardless all your options sound fun...

We have also done liveaboard diving in the Bahamas and cruise ship diving...In Freeport we have been to nice reefs off the cruise ship and enjoyed out time with UNEXSO...but Nassau I have as yet to be happy with diving from the cruise ship...really need to get over to the other side of the island and that seems hard with the port times...but If you are going with a ship that uses Stuart's Cove maybe it would be better

Regardless all your options sound fun...

thanks, exactly the type of info I was looking for!

I think we are going to pass on the Bahamas cruise for now, so that one is out.

Still trying to decide, hope to book something in next week or two.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to book the trip to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel ports.

We want to dive in GC and Coz.

Since we have dived Coz a lot, we are probably going to contact one of the dive ops we know will pick us up.

Grand Cayman dive op that services the cruise ships seems to get okay reviews.

Is there is anything we should consider with diving at Grand Cayman? I am guessing that with 6 ships in port, there will be plenty of divers going out. Thoughts?

in CG I almost always shore dive at Sunset House

as an experienced diver you'll have zero trouble here, easy dive friendly folks and seldom a crowd because it is "so far away" ... almost a whole mile from town

search here or down in the ports section for Sunset House or see SunsetHouse.com

Like COZ, if you want to do the wall, you need a boat trip . . .

We definitely want to boat dive at both locations.

I think we are going to use the cruise ship op in Grand Cayman. It shows the ship being in at 7am, departure for 2-tank dive trip is at 7:30am. That means we will be back to ship by noon, can change and still go to shore to shop in afternoon before 4pm departure time.

For Cozumel we are going to try to find at least 2 more people diving if we can and book with an outside op. Boat doesn't arrive there until 10am, so probably 11-11:30am departure for a 2-tank dive is going to be required.

Dive with Martin requires a $400 deposit to reserve a boat and they say on website that they will try to help you find other divers (4-8 people on boat).

Scuba with Allison and Chucho divers both say they will do the same but don't require the large deposit up front to hold a boat aside for you. Don't know which is best.

I have posted on the Roll Call forum that we are looking for dive buddies. Hopefully we will get a taker or two for Cozumel. I really don't want to go with SandDollar unless as a last resort.

Edited by ABQrobin

We are going to book the trip to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel ports.

We want to dive in GC and Coz.

Since we have dived Coz a lot, we are probably going to contact one of the dive ops we know will pick us up.

Grand Cayman dive op that services the cruise ships seems to get okay reviews.

Is there is anything we should consider with diving at Grand Cayman? I am guessing that with 6 ships in port, there will be plenty of divers going out. Thoughts?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Much good advice within the thread.

In Grand Cayman, dive Eden Rock's shore dive. Rent gear or bring your own, gear up, and hop in - nice easy profile and lots of marine life.

In Roatan try Bannanarama - nice folks, good rental gear, and short boat ride to a great wall. I had a busted inflator on my BC and they had a spare for me to use - no charge, very classy!

I only dive with Aldora Divers and Cozumel. They only use steel tanks and maxes out at 3500 psi. We always get over an hour on each dive as we are all diving Nitrox. I know you have your usual dive op, but just want to give you the information about diving in Cozumel. They have always accommodated the cruise ship time and the other divers had to match that for me. Totally awesome!

I have dove with Neptunes and indigo in Grand Cayman. Both are excellent dive operators.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums