Trying to decide between Palo brunch and Palo dinner

BRAVE5

I am surprising my husband (and children) with a cruise on DCL Wonder in February for his 50th birthday. I am trying to decide between reserving Palo for brunch on his birthday or saving Palo for dinner instead.

Has anyone had experience with celebrating a birthday dinner on a DCL? If so, what restaurant were you at for your celebration? I'm sure the kids would like to be involved in dad's birthday dinner, so that's why I'm leaning towards visiting Palo for a birthday brunch instead of dinner and saving the birthday dinner for one of the regular restaurants.

If the Palo dinner is a lot better than the Palo brunch, then I can plan the dinner for a different night.

Any suggestions? Recommendations? Personal experiences?

Thank you!

We've done several birthdays on DCL. THe current thing in the main dining room is that the celebrant gets a mousse dessert with HB on it and the servers come over and sing HB. Also, they will give him an HB button, but better to get it from Guest Services and wear it all day.

If you do a birthday at Palo dinner, they will bring a plate with a sugar sculpture on it.

Palo brunch vs. dinner...you'll be getting a wide variety of opinions, but we prefer dinner. Brunch has a great buffet selection with a hot item ordered and brought to the table. Dinner is a traditional dinner service.

Both Palo Bruch and Dinner are wonderful. I'd probably go for Brunch with two children as the dinners at Palo seem to be more adult oriented. Not that there aren't children in Palo for Dinner though.

In the MDR, you'll get Happy Birthday sung to you by a bunch of the staff and a desert with Happy Birthday on it. You'll be amazed at how many people in the MDR are having birthday celebrations the same day as yours.

I am surprising my husband (and children) with a cruise on DCL Wonder in February for his 50th birthday. I am trying to decide between reserving Palo for brunch on his birthday or saving Palo for dinner instead.

Has anyone had experience with celebrating a birthday dinner on a DCL? If so, what restaurant were you at for your celebration? I'm sure the kids would like to be involved in dad's birthday dinner, so that's why I'm leaning towards visiting Palo for a birthday brunch instead of dinner and saving the birthday dinner for one of the regular restaurants.

If the Palo dinner is a lot better than the Palo brunch, then I can plan the dinner for a different night.

Any suggestions? Recommendations? Personal experiences?

Thank you!

The times we've done a birthday/anniversary celebration we were in one of the MDRs. What happens is the honoree is served a celebration cake (really a mousse-type chocolate dessert), the servers all group and sing Happy Birthday, and the honoree gets a "It's my Birthday" button. I'm not sure what/how much they do in Palo. If they do anything.

1zzknea.jpg

Have also been in Palo for dinner and brunch. Brunch wins hands down for me.

One question - you said "I'm sure the kids would like to be involved in dad's birthday dinner, so that's why I'm leaning towards visiting Palo for a birthday brunch instead of dinner...". How old are the "kids"? Palo is an adult-only venue, regardless if for brunch or dinner.

Both Palo Bruch and Dinner are wonderful. I'd probably go for Brunch with two children as the dinners at Palo seem to be more adult oriented. Not that there aren't children in Palo for Dinner though.

In the MDR, you'll get Happy Birthday sung to you by a bunch of the staff and a desert with Happy Birthday on it. You'll be amazed at how many people in the MDR are having birthday celebrations the same day as yours.

Actually, there are no kids in Palo, period. Its an adult's only area.

Palo is an adult only venue. There are no children permitted at lunch or dinner and yes, they check. You cannot book Palo for anyone under 18. I suppose you could book in one name and show up with a different person.

The only exception I'm aware of was a Disney Channel "star" who was under 18. She and her entourage were seated in the private dining room in Palo.

Thank you everyone for such awesome information! Sounds like the dinner celebration in the MDR is something our kids would really enjoy and not to be missed. I'm leaning towards going to Palo for a birthday brunch for just my husband and myself and the MDR for the birthday dinner with the whole family.

Now another question: are any of the dining rooms more desirable for the special birthday dinner?

Thank you everyone for helping me - this is a great group!

we've have had several celebrations on board over the years. Whether you are in a dining room or Palo, they have all been the same. In the dining room you will most likely have a big Happy Birthday/Anniversary sing along. Our dining room had several all week and one of the servers sang opera. But in Palo, its a bit more reserved.

As for brunch or dinner, we always book brunch first, dinner next. We enjoy the variety of gourmet goodies and seafood at brunch.

:)Thank you everyone for your great information!!! I'm so excited to report that I was able to reserve a 10am Palo brunch on my hubbies birthday!! So it's a Palo brunch birthday with just hubby and I, followed by a birthday dinner in the MDR with the kids - sounds like a PERFECT way to celebrate his 5-0!!:D