Platinum laundry

N2Mischief

We have been Platinum for a few cruises. We haven't taken advantage of the laundry. We have been told that the laundry is washed at very high temps and clothes fade and shrink. We were also told it sometimes takes up to two days to get your laundry back.

Has this been your experience?? I would LOVE for them to do laundry for us on our next B2B2B2B cruise as I will be recovering from major surgery and won't be able to lift anything over 10 pounds. Carrying laundry will most likely be out.

We have been Platinum for a few cruises. We haven't taken advantage of the laundry. We have been told that the laundry is washed at very high temps and clothes fade and shrink. We were also told it sometimes takes up to two days to get your laundry back.

Has this been your experience?? I would LOVE for them to do laundry for us on our next B2B2B2B cruise as I will be recovering from major surgery and won't be able to lift anything over 10 pounds. Carrying laundry will most likely be out.

I use the Free Platinum laundry every cruise. I only give them White & light shorts an t-shirts. Undies and white & light socks. Never had a problem. If you put it out in the morning before going for breakfast they usually have it back that night. Any Black or dark shorts ,I put in a separate bag.

White comes back kinda gray, it really don't matter what & how you send them they all go in the same big tub of hot water & very strong detergent. I send Lar's under cloths & PJ none of my stuff. I keep those packed & he just wears them while we are on ship. Nothing of mine can go because of my skin. Can't take the harsh detergent. Couldn't figure out where my rash was coming from. After a trip to the Dr. I knew. :eek:

Maybe your hubby can help with doing laundry every few day's.

Ask & answered yes if your steward gets your bag in the mornin' it will be done that nite. If like us you don't leave your cabin until noon it will not be back until the next day. Your steward takes care of all this so if it take two day's it is on him.

Char

A guy I was just on a cruise with said they decimated his socks. He is diamond level and gets free unlimited laundry. Said his items were brand new and they fell apart after they were washed. He said carnival replaced his shorts, polos and socks but at the port he was at - it was high dollar and he refused to pay that price and ended up with 1 of each instead of what he started out with. He now washes his own stuff in the sink in his room.

Read where some get their items washed in cold and request to have their items hanged up to dry and still get them back that night. I turn platinum on my cruise in 3 weeks. I will take some tide and do my stuff but I may send dh's shirts and socks out to test the caustic chemicals. LOL.

Edited by tbbtravels

We always use our free Platinum laundry perk. We don't send anything "delicate", but most undies, socks, shirts, shorts, and pants are fine. We've never had anything ruined and have used this service for the last several years. Usually, it's back the next day.

Oh wow, I don't know why I didn't think about the detergent. I am super sensitive and have to use the detergents with no dyes or frangrance or I am a itchy mess. I guess my husband will be doing laundry! lol I am assuming on the days when we start a new cruise the laundry facilities will be empty, so we will just do it then.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful!

In each bag we send color like things and always a note to hang all shirts and shorts wet, we include hangers from home also. Never had a problem with the wash but did have a problem with the last room steward who always acted like we were a bother and it took several days to get them back. (Our steward had 2 floors to take care of and on our floor he had just 2 cabins, probably why we never saw him)

The laundry room is closed and locked during debarkation and embarkation. On our first B2B I tried to do laundry while everyone was getting off the ship and found this out.

we did a b2b and did our laundry in between cruises! laundry room was not closed and no one said anything to us.:) we were on the sensation.

We have used the Platinum laundry on multiple cruises now and have never had any issues. My wife even sends out all of her delicates and didn't see any problems. It's not like we are sending out high end dress clothes, mainly shorts and t-shirts and underwear. I have used it for Polo shirts and Dockers and they looked fine afterwards.

We've used it without major issues. We only had one issue with a shirt that came back really faded, but it was corrected to our satisfaction. We took the shirt to guest relations and within a few hours, they retuned the shirt to us. Don't know what product they used, but it restored the color back! :)

And they've always been very good about returning laundry the same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

we too have used it, with almost no problems..once some white shirts came back with brownish stains, but again brought them to pursers desk and it was resolved..

doing B2B, all you have to do is ask one of the cabin stewards to open it..they do...have been doing b2b's for a while now and always do laundry between cruises..

I have used it 3 times and have had no problems at all. I have not bothered to go and feel the water temperature in their washing machines, so I don't know if they use hot water or not. I haven't asked either. I have only sent clothes that have already been washed countless times anyway, and I don't send colors like red. No shrinking, no changing in colors, all is good. Each time, I have gotten them back when I was supposed to get them back. No delays. But it can happen, so I wouldn't send anything out on the last day or even the next to last day, just to be safe.

The laundry room is closed and locked during debarkation and embarkation. On our first B2B I tried to do laundry while everyone was getting off the ship and found this out.

The Glory and Conquest didn't lock theirs in Oct. I did 5 back to backs between 3 ships out of Miami. I learned each ship does things differently. From how they treat their back to back quests with gifts, sailing commemorative pins, to little things like giving a solo traveler enough towels for the pool/beach or room stock.

I did laundry several days at 10 and 12 ish. Encountered only a few employees doing their laundry those days and times.

The conquest uses room key cards to wash and dry. So did the Freedom. I hate running to guest services to get quarters and Glory uses quarters, so did Sunshine in January. Oh and the Glory has 2 machines that only charge 1.50 to wash and dry instead of $3.

Edited by tbbtravels

We don't send out anything we are afraid will be damaged. We do socks, undies, bathing suits, shorts, pjs, and some tops that can take the higher temps. We may have to press those when they are returned.

We have always had our laundry returned the next day.

we did a b2b and did our laundry in between cruises! laundry room was not closed and no one said anything to us.:) we were on the sensation.

The only real problem with doing it on turn around day is that they often turn water almost off. With out water pressure the machines will shut down but does start back up when the water comes back on.

We do B2B2B2B'S all winter on the Sensation & now do mine the first sea day & have never had a problem.

Char

We just had two bags done on our last cruise and everything came back fine. We left it for our room steward in the morning and it was back in our cabin that night. Our room steward was awesome, don't know if that turn around time is the norm. We mostly sent our my husbands things and our son's and there was no fading at all. Even stains came out so I was pleased. Also, there was no strong detergent or bleach smell so whatever they use is mild.

From an earlier post:

We use it for 'no worry' items like pants, underwear, socks, etc. but picked up a hint here that seems to work.

DO NOT stuff your laundry bag full. Apparently it goes into a mesh bag to be washed, and it's best if that bag is not over full. If you have a lot, send it out on two different days.

p.s. Wife once suggested that as we leave home for a cruise (driving) we strip the sheets off the bed and bring them for the free service. :)

gary

My wife and I are both pretty sensitive to detergents and only use the fragrance-free stuff at home. Neither of us have noticed any problem with the detergent used in the begged laundry service. Obviously, your mileage (and your skin) may vary.

I noticed on our last cruise that there was a laundry tag on a hot pink pajama top each of the two times I had it washed, so apparently they had put it in a separate load. I knew it was old and washed many times and wouldn't turn other folks' laundry pink, but they had no way of knowing that and took prudent care with it.

We did get two white knit shirts back looking kind of gray, but I washed them again with chlorine bleach when we got home and they were white again.

We were able to send out two loads on the same day and sent a light load and a dark load, but i think that is the same day we got back the shirts turned gray.

The laundry service is a great convenience and -- combined with a single load we do ourselves mid-cruise -- it has enabled us to pack fewer clothes. We send out a bag every few days, especially with the stuff we have worn ashore plus pajamas, socks, undies, and other t-shirts or knit pants. the stuff we wash ourselves includes bras, things we want to hang immediately to avoid wrinkles, and whatever else happens to be hanging around as we are heading to the laundry room.

I pack a quart ziploc with 2 laundry detergent pods (just in case I want to do 2 loads), 2 dryer sheets, a mesh bag for lingerie, and a roll of quarters.

My husband sends out socks, underwear, tee shirts and shorts. I send nothing. I don't like how his come back wrinkled because they are stuffed into a bag. I also think things have shrunk because of the hot water. Years ago when I did send a few of my things because I spilled something on them and didn't want them to permanently stain, I asked for them to be hung up. I don't know if they will still do that.

My clothes are almost all cotton and I won't let them go through the wash there. I also am weird in that I don't want my clothes washed with hundreds of others that are all put into a mesh bags in the laundry. Our cabin stewards don't do our cabin until after 10 usually and the laundry doesn't always come back the same day. More often than not, it's the next day.

My husband sends out socks, underwear, tee shirts and shorts. I send nothing. I don't like how his come back wrinkled because they are stuffed into a bag. I also think things have shrunk because of the hot water. Years ago when I did send a few of my things because I spilled something on them and didn't want them to permanently stain, I asked for them to be hung up. I don't know if they will still do that.

My clothes are almost all cotton and I won't let them go through the wash there. I also am weird in that I don't want my clothes washed with hundreds of others that are all put into a mesh bags in the laundry. Our cabin stewards don't do our cabin until after 10 usually and the laundry doesn't always come back the same day. More often than not, it's the next day.

I thought I was the only one that was weird about who's cloths mine are washed with. At home I do mine separate from Larry's. Was the same way with the kids stuff when they were small, mine have always been done alone.

Some of Larry's PJ shirts are getting kinda holey & if I don't put a note that they have damage on the slip they won't wash them.

Char