Ideas for nightlight for bathroom

S&S Cruisers 1983

Hi. We were recently on the Sun and thought we had a great idea to put a nightlight in the bathroom. We had no idea that the plug turns off when you turn off the bathroom light. Are there any good ideas out there for a dim light in the bathroom? I thought about battery powered tea lights, maybe rechargeable ones? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I used battery operated tea lights as well as bracelet glow sticks in the room. We always kept the bathroom light on at night with the door mostly shut, but I heard that on the newer ships the toilet won't flush if the light is not on. I was just on the Breakaway, but we always had the light on so I cannot confirm this. (I didn't hear about this until after we got home)

We used the battery operated tealights when we cruised in an aft penthouse on the Breakaway this past May. There is a small wall shelf as you enter that is perfect for these, and I also put them on the dining table in the suite, (perfect for a 'candlelight' dinner), the side tables/nightstands and on the floor near the curtain that leads to the master bathroom. They really make the cabin look pretty and easy to navigate in the darkness. :cool:

Thank you everyone.

Do you find that the batteries in the tea lights run out before the end of your cruise or do you take extra batteries/tea lights?

The ones I had on my last cruise had done a week's worth of candleight dinners at our motel in Florida in March. And there was still enough power to get me through a 6 day cruise and they were left on all night (11 pm til about 11 am when we got up) and they still have some power left. I picked these up at a dollar store 2 in one packet. They worked so good and they take up no space at all.

If you bring two you won't have to worry about being in the dark.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

I used battery operated tea lights as well as bracelet glow sticks in the room. We always kept the bathroom light on at night with the door mostly shut, but I heard that on the newer ships the toilet won't flush if the light is not on. I was just on the Breakaway, but we always had the light on so I cannot confirm this. (I didn't hear about this until after we got home)

I bring battery operated tea lights and votives and place a few in the bathroom and some on any table/counter we may encounter on the way to the bathroom. The toilets on the Breakaway do flush without any lights on. We never used any lights except the tea lights at night. New lights will last for at least a 7 night cruise but I always bring extra batteries so I can use up any that weren't depleted on the last cruise before replacing the battery.

I love the tea lights and use them in all of the candle things at home since my girlfriend gave me a gift with one instead of a candle to use in front of the fire. You can also bring a battery operated night light. My DH needs light..I have eyes like a cat and see great when it is dark so a small light is a nice compromise.

The battery operated tea lights lasted our entire 7 night cruise. We had them on approximately 10 hours per day. We put one on each night table and one on each end of the desk/table area above the mini fridge and hair dryer area. We never had a problem with the bathroom door making noise with just keeping it barely open. I also kept the balcony curtain open about a foot to let in some natural light in the mornings.

We've always just left the bathroom light on, and the door shut but not latched. It gives just a little glow in the room that way. It might be a problem if rough seas, but otherwise it works for us. I've never taken a night light.

Oh but when you open the door and enter the bathroom it is blindingly bright!! :eek:

After the Costa Concordia, I said we're not cruising again without flashlights with us at all times after dark! On our last cruise, we each carried small pocket-sized LED flashlights, and kept them on our night stands at the ready. One can never be too paranoid!! :D Actually, the lights can go out any time for any reason, and I don't want to be stumbling around in the dark.

Just got off the Jade on Wed. We keep the drapes on the balcony door open so the light from the ship is just enough to light the room. I don't know what a tea light is but I bring one of those lights that go on automatically when you enter the room. In our bathroom there was an ashtray shelf in the toilet area and I put it on there. Wide enough to be secure and this way did not have to turn on the bright bathroom light. It turned on as soon as I entered the bathroom and light enough to see what I was doing but not glaring enough to sort of wake me up or light up the entire room as the bathroom light would have done.