Guaranteed Cabin? Did I make a huge mistake?

pamelabrown53

Hi Cruisers.

2 weeks ago, I stumbled on a Christmas cruise with "too good to be true" prices. It's on the Westerdam which sails from Ft. Lauderdale on Dec. 20.

I have never cruised with HAL, (last Christmas Celebrity Silhouette and NCL the Christmas before) so when I asked if the price was so low because the cabin had a partially obstructed view I was told unequivocally that "there are no verandah cabins with obstructed views". Well, O.K. then let's give it a go. We booked and paid on the spot. So...we're guaranteed a VH cabin. I subsequently was familiarizing myself with the Westerdam deck plan and was horrified to discover my "unobstructed" balcony, in my guaranteed category has a steel balcony wall.

We're taking my mother (in her 80's) and her boyfriend and because of respiratory problems/arthritis they really love breakfast and breaks sitting and looking at the sea. They use that balcony. I'm fearful of a no-chance ticket out of the dog house.:o

Anyway, while I believe I was misinformed about the balcony rooms, I understand, bottom-line, I bear the responsibility. I'm just wondering if I can be offered an upsell in the same category or if the room assignment fairies might take pity if I state my case respectfully? If so, to whom would I appeal?

P.S. First post...promise to be less wordy in the future but wanted to give you some context.

Hi Cruisers.

2 weeks ago, I stumbled on a Christmas cruise with "too good to be true" prices. It's on the Westerdam which sails from Ft. Lauderdale on Dec. 20.

I have never cruised with HAL, (last Christmas Celebrity Silhouette and NCL the Christmas before) so when I asked if the price was so low because the cabin had a partially obstructed view I was told unequivocally that "there are no verandah cabins with obstructed views". Well, O.K. then let's give it a go. We booked and paid on the spot. So...we're guaranteed a VH cabin. I subsequently was familiarizing myself with the Westerdam deck plan and was horrified to discover my "unobstructed" balcony, in my guaranteed category has a steel balcony wall.

We're taking my mother (in her 80's) and her boyfriend and because of respiratory problems/arthritis they really love breakfast and breaks sitting and looking at the sea. They use that balcony. I'm fearful of a no-chance ticket out of the dog house.:o

Anyway, while I believe I was misinformed about the balcony rooms, I understand, bottom-line, I bear the responsibility. I'm just wondering if I can be offered an upsell in the same category or if the room assignment fairies might take pity if I state my case respectfully? If so, to whom would I appeal?

P.S. First post...promise to be less wordy in the future but wanted to give you some context.

Hi Cruisers.

Since the cruise has very low prices (as you state) then I think it is very likely that you will be offered an "upsell" prior to your departure. Be sure to study the deck plans and various categories above yours, so that when you get a call from your TA (or email if you booked through HAL directly) you will be able to move quickly on the offer. I would also inform your TA that you would really like an upsell offer and to quickly call you if they get one.

Congratulations on your first CC posting and your first HAL cruise.

Seems you have 2 options:

1. Leave it be and hope the upgrade fairy visits. We have been very lucky when booking guarantee cabins and have always received an upgrade within the specific cabin category. No one knows for sure when, how, or if the upgrade fairy will visit and when booking guarantee cabins, the general advice is that you should be completely happy with the category that you book, OR

2. Call HAL. Even though you are within final payment, call HAL and play super stupid and that you just now realized that there is a steel balcony within the category that you and see what they can do for you. Someone may be willing to allow you to purchase the a clear glass balcony without charging you a penalty for cancelling your current booking. The worst is that they will so no and that you have to pay a penalty to cancel the current booking and then rebook. Nothing ventured, nothing tried.

Best of luck and please have a safe and wonderful holiday cruise.

I would not worry.

The VH is a marketing gag category. If you check, you will probably find out there are only four or so of them on the ship. IF bookings are slow they will introduce the VH gty category and sell lots of them...far more than the actual number of VH cabins.

This category is used when HAL drops the prices and does not want to re-price those who have already booked verandahs (prior to final payment date) or upset those who have purchased at a higher rate if the VH's are introduced after the final payment date.

And they are obstructed only to the extent that the front of the balcony has a metal sheet vs a glass sheet.

Relax, you chances of actually getting a VH are low, low, low. Enjoy the lower fare. Our last booking was a VH gty, ended up with a very nice VA. It is about the only category we would ever book because of it's value proposition.

Edited by iancal

Since the cruise has very low prices (as you state) then I think it is very likely that you will be offered an "upsell" prior to your departure. Be sure to study the deck plans and various categories above yours, so that when you get a call from your TA (or email if you booked through HAL directly) you will be able to move quickly on the offer. I would also inform your TA that you would really like an upsell offer and to quickly call you if they get one.

Absolutely agree. There are so few VH cabins that many who buy guarantees in this category are upsold (pay) or even upgraded (free) to a higher category. Remember a higher category means that exactly and not necessarily a higher deck. If you look at the categories, anything alphabetically above VH (meaning VA - VF) is a higher category. VF and VE also have solid balcony walls in the forward parts of the ship on certain decks.

These cabins with solid balcony walls are not considered to be "obstructed" views by HAL although many passenger do. Check out http://halfacts.com/4010-noordam/ to see an example of one of these solid walls. Hopefully it's not as bad as you are thinking.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Your message was not wordy at all; you described your situation well. Hope you do enjoy the Westerdam and your cruise!

Edited by 0bnxshs

I believe that all the veranda cabins on the smaller S class ships have steel walls and nobody complains about them. People love the smaller ships. I wouldn't worry about it.

They aren't completely solid like on the Westerdam. Some of them are solid about half way up then have bars and a top rail. I've propped my feet up on the various levels many times.... :cool:

I would check the prices for guarantee verandah cabins in all the other verandah categories. Sometimes there is another category that has "special" pricing; I've had success with that. I was able to move from an FF gty (oceanview) to a D (IIRC) for about $100. It is worth trying, for the peace of mind it might give you.

Thanks for you reply, CowPrincess. If I can pay @ $100.00 per person to get this worry off my mind then it will be worth it.

What I have learned from this experience is to familiarize myself with a ships cabin/deck plan before[/b I pay on full on the spot.

Thanks for you reply, CowPrincess. If I can pay @ $100.00 per person to get this worry off my mind then it will be worth it.

What I have learned from this experience is to familiarize myself with a ships cabin/deck plan before[/b I pay on full on the spot.

Just be aware that this doesn't always happen -- that sometimes ALL the rest of the categories are at more or less "regular price".

Did you book online, or through HAL by phone or with a travel agent?

I booked through HAL by phone, CowPrincess. I do wonder if all these verandah categories are at "regular price". While I pounced on my "deal", I've observed that the same low fare offer hasn't changed for 2 weeks! This is a Christmas Cruise, people and I payed twice as much for Celebrity last year. Is it possible that the Christmas cruises are suffering from low bookings?

We had the same such type of veranda cabin with the steel covered balcony as a guarantee (on the Noordam) and we ended up with a nice balcony two decks up for no extra. I seem to remember that we found our guarantee cabin was being offered for quite a bit less after we had paid in full, so I spoke to the TA and we were then offered the balcony cabin on Deck 6. No fuss whatsoever.

Ozcruizer

We booked an OV years ago on Volendam.

An unobstructed OV - that was HC accessible.

It had a public staircase in front of the window! So much for unobstructed views.

I didn't notice it on the deck plan. :(

I guess because the category was unobstructed OV, I just believed the description.

We complained while aboard and were offered $50 OBC.

I booked through HAL by phone, CowPrincess. I do wonder if all these verandah categories are at "regular price". While I pounced on my "deal", I've observed that the same low fare offer hasn't changed for 2 weeks! This is a Christmas Cruise, people and I payed twice as much for Celebrity last year. Is it possible that the Christmas cruises are suffering from low bookings?

Hey there - we are on this same cruise, and there is a ton of availability in the Veranda class right now. So like people say, you will probably get a great room.

However, when we booked, we booked a VD guarantee - because of the metal railings. I'm short and I wanted to be SURE I could see the water when I sit down. At one point, the prices dropped after final payment, and when our TA called, HAL moved us up to a VA with no extra charge. So call and just ask what your options are. Just one note on deck 5, the mid-ship verandas are smaller because they are above the lifeboats. So be sure to have a deck plan open and ask HAL for the cabin number.

Let us know how it all turns out!

OP, if you go to halfacts.com, select vista class and go down to Noordam 4007, you will see a photo taken from inside the cabin showing the balcony with its steel front (VF cabin) and you can see the ocean above the railing. Not a total disaster if you end up with this class of cabin.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

You were not misinformed about the balcony being unobstructed; there is not a life boat or part of the superstructure obscuring your view. I have never seen a ship (on any cruise ship) with a steel balcony classified as obstructed. You get just as much fresh air on a steel railed balcony as you would on one with a plexi-glassed railing.

Take a look at the last two pictures at the HALFacts link that shows what the difference between the two types of railings are: http://halfacts.com/4043-eurodam/

There are only 4 VH cabins on the ship so you will most likely end up in a verandah cabin elsewhere; there are 477 verandah cabins (not counting suites) and only 34 have steel railings. As stated, the 4 VH cabins are used more as a marketing tool to lure people with cheap balconies; they will move guarantee booked passengers up so they can resell the VH again to someone new.

Edited by Boytjie

I have taken 10 cruises on HAL. Every time I book a guarantee verandah cabin. I have never gotten one of the 4 cabins with the solid metal balcony. I think it worth the risk. Besides, it kind of fun to try new cabins not knowing where on the ship you will be.

Good decision.

I have no doubt that you will end up in a great cabin. Wait them out and a good offer will fall into your lap. EITHER WAY I am certain that you will be happy.

Before it does though, take some time to understand the prices/categories so you will know a good offer from a mediocre offer..... if you get one. Perhaps establish a target price. If you get a good upsell snap it up before someone else does.