Hotel in Long Beach, San Pedro or...

Charlot11

I have old friends who will take a cruise with Princess on May 2nd.

Their friends told them that the should stay near the port because the traffic is very huge to go to the San Pedro port on Saturday.

They will stay 3 nights.

They want a very nice hotel, and very clean one. They don't want to rent a car. They want to visit by taxi or tour that hotel offer or HOHO bus, but something safe.

I told them that I will ask on the board and hope that I could help them with that.

What is the best that I could recommend them?

Charlot (French speaker...)

I have old friends who will take a cruise with Princess on May 2nd.

Their friends told them that the should stay near the port because the traffic is very huge to go to the San Pedro port on Saturday.

They will stay 3 nights.

They want a very nice hotel, and very clean one. They don't want to rent a car. They want to visit by taxi or tour that hotel offer or HOHO bus, but something safe.

I told them that I will ask on the board and hope that I could help them with that.

What is the best that I could recommend them?

Charlot (French speaker...)

Charlotte,

For three nights and with a desire to tour...and no car...I would recommend NOT staying near the port.

The port area is 30-35 miles from most of the tourist sights first time tourists in LA want to see...and the HOHO bus goes nowhere near the port...

My best recommendation for those with multiple night stays and no car is to stay in Santa Monica...

Get a shuttle from LAX to Santa Monica...and a shuttle from there to the port Saturday morning...Saturday Morning traffic is not all that bad...and the shuttle driver is dealing with it, not them...

Santa Monica is a very nice, upscale beach town on the fashionable West Side of Los Angeles...The weather is temperate...and there is lots to see and do within easy walking distance. And the HOHO bus tour uses it as a "hub"...

Hotels there are not particularly inexpensive, but they range from nice to incredible...Even though I grew up in the area and still live nearby, I have had the reason to stay in two of the best recently--Loews...and Le Merigot. I highly recommend both. Other top hotels include the Fairmont Miramar, Shutters on the Beach and Casa Del Mar. Those are also among the best located. The Doubletree and the Le Meridien Delfina are okay, but not that well located-a few blocks walk from ideal. My daughter recently came down for a wedding and stayed at the Huntley House--very well located though not on the beach. The CalMar is a slightly lower priced, non-luxury alternative. The Wyndham has an excellent location if not for being right alongside the freeway--if they stay there, ask for a room away from the freeway.

Any of these hotels puts them right near the Santa Monica Pier, Third Street Promenade and Palisades Park...as well as the HOHO bus and a LOT of restaurants and nightlife...and a short cab ride from the Venice Boardwalk. Other West Side attractions like the Getty Museum and Rodeo Drive are not far away. And a tour or the HOHO will easily get them over to Hollywood...

I also would not stay at port for three nights.

Traffic is really not too bad getting to San Pedro and that would not factor into my decision.

I would start off by deciding what is important to them. Do they want to do touring during their stay, or stay someplace off a beach or somewhere near fine restaurants. There are lots of options and price is a consideration.

Places that come to mind include Long Beach, Santa Monica, Marina del Rey, Hollywood just to name a few.

I really would start off by looking at on line travel resources such as Frommers to get an idea of what place would be of interest. From there it will be easy to narrow down hotel choices.

Keith