On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

Sailor Jack -

Please remind me what underwater camera you got. We are about to go shopping for a new one in advance of our FP Pacific Princess cruise and love how great all your pictures look!

Of course, I'm sure a lot has to do with your photography skills but... :- )

Thanks!

Photography skills?:D The camera is an Olympus Tough TG3. It is a very nice little camera which also has Wi-Fi and GPS. I got it for $299, but I think the price may have gone up a little since. If you go to one of the on-line stores they may add some perks - card, case, etc.

The coast along the island was beautiful and there were a lot of great beaches. We stopped at this one and took a quick swim. Water was great!

16544515706_fff54d7c9d_b.jpg

Our guide told us a lot of people swim out this island for the snorkeling, but we did not have the time.

16569403782_b79a6de66b_b.jpg

Just a shot along the shore.

16382854218_02ef19ee24_b.jpg

Could you posta link to your review of Oosterdam ...one more r and it should crow ...you know roosterdam

Michele, links to the Oosterdam review - as well as all my others - are in my signature. Just look at the bottom of this post (it is the third one down). If you have signatures turned off, just turn it back on to see the link.

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

Ack! All your photobucket photos have vanished because you're so popular. (This is on ALL your review threads w photos, btw)

Photobucket experts, will these ever come back? :confused:

What does it cost to upgrade? Maybe we can take up a collection :D

Edited by Cruzin-K

On the way up to Robert L. Stevenson's house we passed by a nice little waterfall.

16392642748_fe8c6fedc2_b.jpg

And were entertained by kids jumping into the pool below. They would then climb up the cliff and ask for a dollar - which we happily gave to them.:)

15957729544_bc05c6ecf7_b.jpg

The pool below the waterfall.

16578654581_0ff3f8082c_b.jpg

Ack! All your photobucket photos have vanished because you're so popular. (This is on ALL your review threads w photos, btw)

Photobucket experts, will these ever come back? :confused:

What does it cost to upgrade? Maybe we can take up a collection :D

I don't know what happened there! I even went back and deleted some of my folders to get below the limit, but to no avail.

The good news is that I created a flickr account and the last pictures came from there.

This is Robert L. Stevenson's home which has been turned into a museum. It is one of the top tourist draws for the island.

16404995469_74c9973df6_b.jpg

The kitchen was out back of the house and was not included in the tour.

16590853175_2ebb9f8884_b.jpg

The house was well designed and was finished with wood throughout the downstairs areas.

16403827010_4527c21015_b.jpg

We were told that the white paper square next to the bear rug is where he collapsed and died - kind of eerie looking at that.

16590199802_bc5f84a2e0_b.jpg

I second Jasperdo concerning Flickr. I've never run into issues concerning bandwidth. Just took a look at my stats and my photos have been viewed over 900,000 times... :)

I use Flickr. You get one terabyte of free storage there. And it's easy to add photos to the thread.

Thanks much.

As you can see I am using Flickr now. Just one question. When I copy the posting code, the picture comes with a lot of verbiage like my name, etc. I have to go into the code and delete about half of it to just get the picture. I have posted a picture below showing some of the code I usually delete - the stuff off to the right of the picture. Is there a way to copy and paste the code so you don't have to do a lot of editing?

Thanks

Jack

16407890619_4d3021c5fa_b.jpg by [url=https://www.flickr.comon Flickr

Thanks much.

As you can see I am using Flickr now. Just one question. When I copy the posting code, the picture comes with a lot of verbiage like my name, etc. I have to go into the code and delete about half of it to just get the picture. I have posted a picture below showing some of the code I usually delete - the stuff off to the right of the picture. Is there a way to copy and paste the code so you don't have to do a lot of editing?

Thanks

Jack

Not that I'm aware of. That additional information along with the photo began about 6 months ago when Flickr re-did their photo page. The only way I know to get rid of it is to delete that part of the code before you post to the thread.

A great book written by Robert Louis Stevenson is called the Silverado Squatters. It is about the Napa Valley before most wineries were built and hot springs were the main reason to go there. Anyways RLS has a state park here named after him. RLS spent his honeymoon here(Napa valley). You can get a good portion of the book free on your kindle. Easy read.

Thank you soooo much for all your posts , photos, and the wonderful review.

We are doing this cruise on the Crown October 2015. Looking forward to a trip even half as terrific as yours!!

Thanks again.

Glad you are enjoying it. We know a couple of people who are going on that cruise and we are excited for them (and for you:)) It is a fabulous itinerary and I know you are going to have a terrify time!

This is Apia harbor. It is situated at the mouth of a river and was the site of a tragic naval standoff during the Samoan Civil War. Seven military vessels from Imperial Germany, the United States and Great Britain were in this harbor in1889 when a typhoon approached. Neither the Germans, Americans or British were about to leave first (something about losing face) and as a result all but one of the ships were destroyed - with only the British ship escaping. A year later a treaty was signed dividing Samoa into American Samoa and German Samoa. All that said, it is a very beautiful natural harbor and offers a great entrance to Samoa.

16436964098_44fccd0401_b.jpg

16436964098_44fccd0401_b.jpg

16598181236_75efdbceae_b.jpg

After our very entertaining reception to Apia we walked into town for a quick visit before we started our island tour. This first photo is of the buildings along Beach Road.

16012296494_23e594fefb_b.jpg

The walk into town takes less than 15 minutes and is very picturesque, with lots of floral plantings and rest stops.

16448660719_209a797db0_b.jpg

There were lots of directional signs to help you along the way. I think this one was a safety sign that basically said that people from the United States should toe the line by walking side by side to avoid the traffic.

16447280748_2c8ffd4249_b.jpg

Looking back at the ship from Beach Road.

16427157977_4c51922daa_b.jpg