tax rebate for American in Canada FYI

Hi, for all those of you coming to Canada from the USA this fall, please remember to save your receipts on purchases.

I'm not sure what all is covered, you can probably find a website that will give the info.

Everything here is 15% taxable. Hotels, food, tylenol, clothing, souveniers, even a plumber (although you would not need him) everything. As Americans you are entitled to get 7% back by filling out a form and presenting it when you leave. Keep in mind also this has nothing to do with tipping. Tipping is the same as in the USA average around 15% here (probably a little less than in the USA)

I don't know what all is covered on the list of what you can get the 7% back, but it might be worth looking into for some people.

Here in Quebec there are 2 taxes which equal the 15% 7% GST (goods and services tax) and 7.5% PST (provincial sales tax). the 7.5% is taxed on top of the 7% which equates to exactly 15%.

The federal gov't (7%) is the one you may be entitled to get credit for on certain items, but be sure to keep your receipt.

Thank you Mrs. Moose for reminding us about this wonderfull tax break!! It really is wonderful. The procedures can be a little mind-numbing (you have to do provincial before federal, or vice versa) but, if our previous personaly experiences are any indication, it really can be worthwhile! And they send the checks back to you in US$!!

We are part of the Oct. 2nd Enchantment of the Seas sailing from Quebec City are looking very forward to taking in some of the famous Quebecois hospitalite (and food ... do you know if we can find good tortiere? in a restaurant?) before our departure.

Hi, keep in mind that I am American living here in Montreal (my hubby is french canadian).

That said, tourtiere is something most people eat at home.

The best place to find it would be at a "cabane au sucre" or "sugar shack" which is the english translation as part of a large meal they serve.

It is usually served only in the end of winter from about feb till easter but I do believe there is a place or two in quebec city if I remember seeing that has it all year round (not exactly the original way but a reinactment).

After that, it would not be found in "gourmet" restaurants but more in a homestyle place. For all the times I've been to Quebec City, I've never eaten a tourtiere there, but I'm sure the hotel will be able to direct you to a place. Hopefully you will get one from the Lac St. Jean region (they are supposed to make the best ones).

Have some poutine (french fries cheese curd and gravy), for some reason americans love it (my husband can't stand it, lol) you'll know if the cheese curd is really fresh if it squeeks when you eat it.

Glad I could be of help with the tax thing, if I can be of any other help, please don't hesitate to ask, keep in mind my home was NYC so if you have any questions about NYC please feel free to ask or if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Bon Voyage, happy, healthy and safe travels to you.

Thanks so much MrsMoose for your info and suggestions. I have been having problems getting to the boards (using dial-up) during the last week and have only now seen your info. Really appreciate you sharing your knowledge and taking the time to post.

I'm speaking for quebec here, but no not in a taxi, you pay the "meter" and then add a tip. From the airport there is a "flat rate" and you tip on top of that.

I called a limo service the other day because I have to go to the airport and they said there was tax. Some may add the tax on top and some may just charge more and include it.

I've never used a limo service here so I can't honestly say how they all work, one told me the price plus tax and tip and one said, tax was included and I just had to add the tip.

Archived