Cash account: $425...really?

Topo Gigio

The "charge" is actually a hold of $60 a day per person against your card not an actual charge but will reduce your available credit line or in your case the cash deposit. At the end of your cruise the hold/cash will be released, minus any actual charges for onboard spending you have done, plus $11.50 ($12 for suites) per day for the hotel service charge. The Hotel Service Charge is your "tips" and is shared amongst your stewards, wait staff and others behind the scenes. This is voluntary (though automatic) you can opt out or reduce/enlarge the amount. If you do opt out, any tips you give out to individual crew will be given (by them) back into the tipping pool. If you leave the charge in place any tips you give to individual crew can be kept by them.

Edited by maxout
to highlight the reference to cash

Maxout is correct in describing what is happening in regard to a credit card.

HAL puts a hold of $60 pp per day for everyone on the ship.

Seeing you wish to use cash, if you don't spend that full amount, you get it back in the case you describe. It enables you to charge to your shipboard account. If you charge more than you have on cash deposit, you will be asked to place more cash to be available against which you may spend.

When we did our "online" checkin (for our upcoming cruise )the amount was $1680 for the two of us for 14 days. It also looked a bit strange, but it is only a deposit against what you really charge.

A number of years ago my sis went with us on a cruise. When it came to putting up a cc when we boarded she gave them her bank debit card. (She doesn't use cc cards) The next day we got a call in our cabin that she needed to come down and put up a credit or cash.

She went down and put up cash against her charges. It was a small amount though, I think $100.00. She was very confused about all of it. I think on the last day she had to go back and stand in line and HAL gave her the balance of the money she put up back.

Two years ago, upon arriving in Ft. Lauderdale for a 12 day cruise, we found our credit card had been compromised. Our cc company allowed us to charge out hotel bill but, since we only had one major cc at the time, we had to raid ATM machines to get the $1200 cash required for check-in. Since we had already put more than enough in our onboard account to cover any and all expenses plus we were fine. I collected the full $1200 the last day and we no longer travel with only one card.

Two years ago, upon arriving in Ft. Lauderdale for a 12 day cruise, we found our credit card had been compromised. Our cc company allowed us to charge out hotel bill but, since we only had one major cc at the time, we had to raid ATM machines to get the $1200 cash required for check-in. Since we had already put more than enough in our onboard account to cover any and all expenses plus we were fine. I collected the full $1200 the last day and we no longer travel with only one card.

Wow, how stressful.

Lucky you had put funds into your onboard account before coming to the ship. Could have been a real problem if not.

Happy it worked out for you but a good heads up for others to think about.

If you want to play, you've got to pay. :D

Exactly! I would be very concerned if a $425 hold on a credit card was going to upset my credit availability! I doubt very much that most people in this kind of situation bother to subscribe to some sort of travel insurance before leaving home. God forbid they should become victims of illness or accident during their travels. If a $425 hold on a credit card negates their entire credit line, how in the world would they ever pay for medical bills and travel back home?

If a $425 hold on a credit card negates their entire credit line, how in the world would they ever pay for medical bills and travel back home?
The OP is talking about a cash deposit, and said:
Not that it is a problem, ...

Unfortunately for the OP, we have essentially morphed into a cashless society. One can buy coffee at Starbucks, food at McDonalds, etc....without ever using cash. On any cruise line it is much more efficient (for both the customer and the cruise line) to have a credit card on file. If one prefers to use cash they can always settle their onboard account with cash...near the end of the cruise. Like many other travel organizations (such as rental car companies, some hotels, resorts, etc) HAL puts a "credit hold" on a registered credit card...and who can blame them? This is now a common procedure (it sometimes is even done when you use a gas pump) and many folks are not always aware there is a hold. In fact, unless you have a low credit limit on a card, the holds are done in the background and not noticed.

As to those who do not want to use credit cards, this has become nearly impossible for those of us who do a lot of travel (especially international). It has now become nearly impossible to buy airline tickets, cruise tickets, get rental cars, and even register in many hotels without a credit card. DW and I now travel with 5 different major credit cards and 3 different Debit Cards (each drawn on a different account and bank) on international trips. Having a credit or debit card "pulled" because of fraud has become all too common and one should always have backups.

Hank