What's left for travel agent perks

Pirouette

Without getting too specific, a few days to get the diagnostic procedure, two days more to see the surgeon, surgery a week later. Didn't involve CT or MRI. But it was not elective. The only elective procedures I've had are cataract surgery, and there was no real wait for that--just fitting it into the doctor's monthly schedule.

Well, that's not too bad at all. I am glad.

I live in US and I don't have to negotiate prices for my surgery or doctor's visits either - ever.

Just out of curiosity - how long did you have to "wait" for your elective operation - or even a study like a CT scan or MRI? My cousin lives in Canada and I hear about those things from her.

That's because your insurance company already did this for you and of course at a fraction of the "list" price. There is no reason not negotiate with a TA to find the best deal. You do it with a car why not with a cruise with costs sometimes nearly the same.

Back to the OPS original complaint -- If you are unhappy with what your TA is giving you -- FIND ANOTHER ONE....

Edited by PaulMCO

Do you really know how much commision cruise lines pay??? Yes, it is probably meager for mainline cruise lines where the cruise fare is low to simply get people on board and any profits come from the on board sales of everything from soup to nuts. Don't know what mainline cruises pay but, do know they would actually lose money if people didn't buy all of the extras on board so assume commissions are low.

However, on upscale and luxury lines, money is made based just on the cruise fare that is fully commissionable and is in the range of 17% so on a $10K cruise fare, that TA makes about $1,700. Not meager IMHO so the TA's in their business plan rebate portions of that commission to the customer and still make a good profit.

By the way, most of us don't "ask" for a portion of the commission. It is something the TA does as in the course of his or her business. And at least some of the "free" OBC, Internet, gratuities, etc. does come from the cruise line and doesn't impact the TA's commission.

There are TA's that will "rebate" 10% or more of the commissionable cruise fare, just got to hunt them out. Good service along with fair pricing is available you simply have to ask your fellow cruisers although not allowed on this board.

Now, if you need your hands held and are phoning your TA weekly asking for more and more help, don't expect the same rebates as time is money.

All cruise lines have non commissionable elements to their fares and most luxury lines do not pay anywhere near 17%.

If you know anyone in one of those so called "Medicare Advantage" plans, you shouldn't have to wait to hear from your cousin to learn about delayed or postponed tests...

There is plenty of that happening on this side of the border as well. :cool:

Sorry, Jim, wrong on this one. Betsy and I have had nothing but Medicare Advantage plans since turning 65 (over 9 years ago) and have never waited for anything - and you know I've had some pretty heavy duty medical situations. Greatest thing since sliced bread, and the savings are part of the reason we can cruise Oceania.

Edited by hondorner

Sorry, Jim, wrong on this one. Betsy and I have had nothing but Medicare Advantage plans since turning 65 (over 9 years ago) and have never waited for anything - and you know I've had some pretty heavy duty medical situations. Greatest thing since sliced bread, and the savings are part of the reason we can cruise Oceania.

Be careful where you spread the love, Don, you were just smart (I know better than to say lucky) enough to pick a reputable plan that works for your situation.

Young as I am ;) , I can't personally claim any experience, but remember that Stan is a Benefits guy for a major corporation, so I spend a good deal of time hearing about just how "managed" some managed care can be-