Overnight in La Spezia on Divina - swamp the towns?

Islandattorney

Has anyone taken this 7 or 9 night round trip itinerary from Rome or Barcelona on Divina with an overnight stop in La Spezia ( for Cinque Terre)? I'm wondering if a ship that size, with thousands of passengers, just turns the little towns into shoulder to shoulder crowds. Anyone who has done that. Please share your experience. We want to try an itinerary with that stop, & MSC has the most options, but the issue of crowd size does concern us.

Has anyone taken this 7 or 9 night round trip itinerary from Rome or Barcelona on Divina with an overnight stop in La Spezia ( for Cinque Terre)? I'm wondering if a ship that size, with thousands of passengers, just turns the little towns into shoulder to shoulder crowds. Anyone who has done that. Please share your experience. We want to try an itinerary with that stop, & MSC has the most options, but the issue of crowd size does concern us.

No one will be able to tell you becUse the Divina has not yet started doing this itinerary. She is still sailing out of Miami and only starts this route in Spring of next year.

I'm booked for one of the June sailings.

Hey, if as an Italian naval base it can handle the navy , I'm sure one big ship will be no problem, considering the majority of passengers will be heading out of town.

Seriously ,my experience of La Spezia would suggest that it won't be any problem,although the trains to the Cinque Terre might be rather busy..

Cinque Terre will be overwhelmed, simply because they have been for the past thirty years. That said, it is such a perfect place to visit that you should not hesitate. It is a good jumping off point for other places, too--like Lucca, or even Genova.

Glad that I visited Cinque Terre in the early sixties. That Italy no longer exists, but today's Italy kid exciting and vibrant in a different way. If you can, spend a few days there before the cruise. That way you get to experience the town's at night, after the hoards have left.

Cinque Terre will be overwhelmed, simply because they have been for the past thirty years. That said, it is such a perfect place to visit that you should not hesitate. It is a good jumping off point for other places, too--like Lucca, or even Genova.

Glad that I visited Cinque Terre in the early sixties. That Italy no longer exists, but today's Italy kid exciting and vibrant in a different way. If you can, spend a few days there before the cruise. That way you get to experience the town's at night, after the hoards have left.

I was also there in the sixties. In fact I worked in Monterosso one Summer. First went with the Ramblers associaton and we walked between the villages before the present paths were put in.

I do wish Rick Steves had kept his mouth shut.

I was also there in the sixties. In fact I worked in Monterosso one Summer. First went with the Ramblers associaton and we walked between the villages before the present paths were put in.

I do wish Rick Steves had kept his mouth shut.

I've just googled 'Rick Steves' as I hadn't heard of him before so, thanks for naming him. I look forward to reading about his travels in Italy - especially the Cinque Terre area as I'll be there on Divina next September and will be researching frantically for things to see and do.

I've just googled 'Rick Steves' as I hadn't heard of him before so, thanks for naming him. I look forward to reading about his travels in Italy - especially the Cinque Terre area as I'll be there on Divina next September and will be researching frantically for things to see and do.

He is good in the fact that he encourages people to do things for themselves without taking organised tours all the time. Taking local buses trains etc.

However these undiscovered areas are now overwhelmed with all the tourists and it has affected their lives.

In the Cinque Terre the locals in some areas no longer maintain the terraces for grapes and the hillsides have suffered.

He is good in the fact that he encourages people to do things for themselves without taking organised tours all the time. Taking local buses trains etc.

However these undiscovered areas are now overwhelmed with all the tourists and it has affected their lives.

In the Cinque Terre the locals in some areas no longer maintain the terraces for grapes and the hillsides have suffered.

The downside of the tourism industry! Striking a healthy balance between revenue generating visits to an area or region without destroying the very environment which attracts people to it in the first place is a constant challenge for all involved.

• 1 month later...

Le Spezia is a big port and will handle a big ship OK. The Cinque Terra do get crowded but are still well worth a visit. The trains and ferries are frequent though and reasonably priced. If the train is packed like sardines just push through a few metres from the doors go up the steps and you will probably find a seat. If the sea is a little rough the ferries stop but the trains still go. You are lucky staying overnight in Le Spezia because a you can get to Genoa easily and try one of the amazing seafood restaurants on the marina there, an experience in itself, as well as visiting the 5 beautiful towns. I have only managed 4 of the towns so far.

It is a real shame that things are not the same as they were a few years ago but we have all moved on, and the younger people move on because they cannot afford to live in their home town.