Mitsugirly's extensive back to belly sun & sky review

mitsugirly

My question to you is on the ship NCL Sun. We are booked on there in March and I was wondering about how people are dressing in the dining rooms. Do women have to wear long pants or can you get away with wearing capri pants to dinner? I'm trying to cut back as much as possible and leaving extra room in our suitcase for purchases. We always eat at the included dining choices...I figure why pay more when we don't have to.

Honestly, every cruise I have been on I have seen people in whatever they wanted in the MDR. I have been in there for dinner before and seen people in jeans, shorts, and even tee shirts. I really don't think they enforce it too well these days. I always take a pair of "dress capris" with me (they are black and capri's, but they are really flared at the bottom so they kind of look like it could be a skirt). Then I just alternate a semi-dressy top different nights. It definitely helps cut back on the amount of clothes I take. :D

thanks for your recommendation on the Olympus. I just bought a 830 on ebay. so far it is great. I haven't tried it underwater yet. Hope the water is warm enough to go in!

I hope you have a lot of success with it. I love mine. I really need to play a little more with the 830 than I do. I'm just so use to the 620 that I freak out when I'm in a hurry to take a picture and have to try to remember the differences. :p

I believe my 830 has 4 underwater settings, then of course within that you can set additional things on them as well.

Kim,

The 850 also has 4 settings, pool, fish 1, fish 2, and macro. I was wondering which one you use for your underwater pictures?

Also what setting is the tilt function you use.?

Did you change and resolution setting?

Trying to get some ideas before I hit the water the end of Arpil. Going on a 10 day out of Baltimore. Might have one chance to play with setting in Ladabee before we do the St Johns cat in St Thomas.

The Ump

John

I see that you have done the cave tubing in Belize, so could you please give me your opinion if that is suitable for a 6 year old?

He just meets the 48" requirement. I am more concerned how strenuous is the climb to the top and if there are long passages of very dark in the caves, since he likes some light in his room at night.

Thanks,

Rada

I believe my 830 has 4 underwater settings, then of course within that you can set additional things on them as well.

Kim,

The 850 also has 4 settings, pool, fish 1, fish 2, and macro. I was wondering which one you use for your underwater pictures?

Also what setting is the tilt function you use.?

Did you change and resolution setting?

Trying to get some ideas before I hit the water the end of Arpil. Going on a 10 day out of Baltimore. Might have one chance to play with setting in Ladabee before we do the St Johns cat in St Thomas.

The Ump

John

Oh gosh John, I really wish I could give you more accurate information. I'm just one that plays with the settings constantly and switches them back and forth trying to get a variety of different types when I'm taking pics. I never stay on the same setting for very long and will take multiple pictures of the same thing just to make sure I get something I like. But I can say that I go back and forth with the settings underwater between the first setting and the second-that's for motion if there's fish I'm trying to capture. Every once in awhile I'll switch to the macro if there's something I can get fairly close to for a better picture that isn't going to run from me...like coral. :D

The tilt function is under the magic settings and is called the miniature setting. I really enjoy using this feature focusing on an object that is far away (instead of just shooting down straight like off the ship at the people, which will give you the tilt shift impression) but from far away, it will make that particular item stand out in the picture by making it in focus and everything around it out of focus. It will give it that "pop" and draw the persons eyes to what you want them to see. It will give you pictures like:

P5140531-L.jpg

PB190199%20copy-L.jpg

Also play around with KEEPING the underwater setting ON above land for a few pictures here and there. I have found that when you do this, you will have SUPER VIVID colors in your pictures and a lot of mine are shot that way. These Olympus cameras aren't like the older cameras (or at least like my 2 old Canon D10's) where if you had them on an underwater setting and tried to take a picture on land, it would give a rose colored picture to every picture. I don't know what they did to improve it, but it's awesome. My days of taking underwater pictures and then coming up and having to hurry to change the setting to above land and snapping a picture pointing back toward the beach or of someone else I'm snorkeling with and then having to change the setting back to underwater to continue snorkeling...are OVER!!! :D

I see that you have done the cave tubing in Belize, so could you please give me your opinion if that is suitable for a 6 year old?

He just meets the 48" requirement. I am more concerned how strenuous is the climb to the top and if there are long passages of very dark in the caves, since he likes some light in his room at night.

Thanks,

Rada

Our daughter did the cave tubing first when she was 3 years old and then again when she was 5 years old and had absolutely no issues nor was she scared (and she also sleeps with a night-light and the door cracked). She wasn't scared at all in the caves and had a blast. My grandson also did it at 5 years old as well with no issues.

I'm not sure what "climb" you are referring to. There's really not a "climb to the top". Most of the land is just flat and gravel. There are a few places along the way that you'll walk down some steps into the dry cave (not enclosed or anything), but nothing really uphill or strenuous. There's another place that you walk up the steps, but nothing major. There's probably a slow incline along the path in the forest, but you don't really notice it. Everyone is stopping along the way, listening to the guide and seeing new things or trying things out, so you really don't notice it. :)

You can find all my pictures located HERE if you'd like to check them out. It will show pictures of the flat path and then there's some pictures of the few steps here and there.

You can find all my pictures located HERE if you'd like to check them out. It will show pictures of the flat path and then there's some pictures of the few steps here and there.

Thanks for the explanations and photo link - now I have a much better idea what to expect. :)

Cheers,

Rada

Final thoughts on Little French Key.

I absolutely love this place. I fell in love with it last May when we were there and I fell in love with it even more this time around.

I think it's the most beautiful place ever. When you think of the Caribbean: crystal clear blue water, you think of this place. It's just post card picture perfect.

There are only a few select places that I have visited and actually said "I will go back there some day" or "I would visit again in a heartbeat" (Chankanaab, Maya Key and LFK). After this visit, this is the only place that I said "When I go back there, I WILL return to this place!" I usually try to find something new and different...but with LFK, I have found my paradise and really don't desire anything else.

*The grounds are gorgeous!

*The animals are fun and a great experience and well taken care of

*The food was good

*Several beaches to retreat to is awesome

*There's plenty of space for everyone

*The jumping deck is a lot of fun

*The owners are delightful and kind

*The snorkeling is amazing

*The canoing is a lot of fun

*All of the additions they have made just adds charm to the place

My only complaints (and they are not really "complaints", just thoughts/suggestions if it was my place):

*There needs to be a better system in place for the snorkeling tour. There were no announcements of when it was, no direction or times. There needs to be maybe a "set" time for the boat to go out that everyone knows about. For instance-tell everyone that the snorkeling boat will take tours out to the reef at...say 11am and 1pm and you should meet at _____. That way you know WHEN it is and WHERE to meet so that you don't miss your snorkeling tour that you paid for. You shouldn't have to run around trying to find someone to take you. I hate the "unknown".

*The food-obviously LFK knows how many people they have on the island during the day. The meals should be prepared and ready (together). You shouldn't "run out" of a particular item or be waiting on it only not to be served the entire meal in the end. I know there's a lot of people there and there's no way that anyone can remember "Hey, we still owe them a lobster tail". It's just impossible to remember who all that might be. Although the food that we did eat was good and I was completely full by the time I was done eating, I love lobster and missed it (so does Sakari).

*The division in the lagoon created now because of Carnival is just heartbreaking. It was so natural and beautiful before. Now, it looks more touristy with the buoys and ropes. Then you have to look over and see and line up of chairs facing you. If people would have been in the chairs, it would have been as if they were starring over and thinking "man, I wish I would have booked that place instead" glaring with envy. :p

*Horseback riding. I follow LFK on fb and I have seen pictures of the horseback riding since they first began doing this. All of the pictures that I have seen online show them riding in the lagoon area...the beautiful crystal blue sandy bottom ocean. Riding in the muddy ugly area with sea grass and big rocks just does not make the experience enjoyable. I just wonder if this is now going to be a permanent thing, since the horse stable area is over there or if they will continue to bring the horses around to the lagoon area. Maybe it was just us and our ride (since it was complimentary). I don't know.

*Swimming with the jaguar-wow, hopefully some day we will get to try this (if not with Simba, hopefully they'll have another young jaguar that will allow it). Being that close to one was amazing. Swimming and getting to pet it has to be even more amazing.

*The price-I have seen a lot of people on here mention that the price is just too high. There are several packages to pick from, so the choice is yours. However, if you think about it, there are so many places to go to anywhere in the Caribbean and normally the prices don't come with complete transportation. So that is an added expense. Let's break this down a bit: Everyone on these boards seem to love Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. People don't think twice about paying $55 (I think it is) to go there. (Yes I know you are comparing green apples to red apples because Nachi is a true AI, but just comparing). That $55 does NOT include your transportation, which depends on how many in your party: could be about $17 for 1-4 people (coming from Punta Lagosta). So now add $34 to your round trip transportation cost and it has now cost you $89 for this trip. It's really not much different IMO than what they charge here with the transportation to and from the port and the boat ride to and from the island. Just something to think about. :)

All in all, there's not much that I would change about this place. It is almost perfect and we had the perfect day (even with a few bloopers).

I will always HIGHLY recommend this place to everyone on here. It's just that good! :)

Hi, Just getting to read this report and glad I did, a fellow cruiser that had been to Roatan raved about the snorkeling. Well we are planning 2 weeks in West Bay for next January and now am looking at staying at the Clarion Suites Pineapple Villas too which have free transportation to LFK .

http://www.clarionsuitesroatan.com/beach/the-beach.htm

thanks again for the awesome photos and detailed report. IB

Edited by ISLABONITA

Hi, Just getting to read this report and glad I did, a fellow cruiser that had been to Roatan raved about the snorkeling. Well we are planning 2 weeks in West Bay for next January and now am looking at staying at the Clarion Suites Pineapple Villas too which have free transportation to LFK .

http://www.clarionsuitesroatan.com/beach/the-beach.htm

thanks again for the awesome photos and detailed report. IB

The place is amazing and make sure you go there. The place is beautiful. They are talking about actually building some small buildings out on the water to stay in I believe in the future. I wouldn't mind staying there for awhile. :D

I loved your review. DH and I are on the same intenary in 2 weeks. Just wondering if you could either post all of the dailies together or email them to me.

coolgma2@gmail.com

thank you so much

Bobbie/bjcruiser

Hi and thanks for the comments. Glad you enjoyed it. I hope you have a wonderful time on the Sun. We sure did.

The dailies are posted within the review (front and back of each). You would have to look at the review and probably copy/download them. :)

Awesome review! It made me feel like I took a little vacation myself—which in the middle of February, is much needed!

You will love Bermuda. There is so much to do, and 3 days in port really isn't enough. We went on a spur-of-the-moment cruise there on the Star at the end of the summer, and we're hooked—we have gone back every summer since. The locals are super friendly, great public transportation via the buses and ferries, and the beaches are amazing. There's plenty of history too; check out a couple forts while you're there. Fort Hamilton and Fort St. Catherine are great.

Regarding the weather—there's a holiday in Bermuda called "Bermuda Day", held annually on May 24th, which marks the first day the Bermudians will go swimming. They have it on that date because usually around that time, the air and sea temperatures go up. If your countdown clock is to be believed, you should be there after Bermuda Day, so you'll officially be in Bermuda's swimming season.

Knowing the Bermudians, they won't go in the water until it's defiintely ready...so I think you'll be fine!

Looking forward to your review when you get back!

Now...onto the Sky review!

Thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed the review in the middle of winter. :D

I'm definitely looking forward to our first time in Bermuda. At the time that I had written this review, we were booked for May 1st and I just knew that it was going to be too cold for us to go in the water (maybe not the air, but the water itself). I just changed my booking to June and I'm super excited now that I will be able to do all the beaches like I had hoped to. :D

I'm definitely looking forward to our first time in Bermuda. At the time that I had written this review, we were booked for May 1st and I just knew that it was going to be too cold for us to go in the water (maybe not the air, but the water itself). I just changed my booking to June and I'm super excited now that I will be able to do all the beaches like I had hoped to. :D

You made a great decision. Tobacco Bay is amazing for snorkeling, and if you keep going past it, right up the road, after you pass Fort Catherine, you'll hit Gates Bay, which is another great beach (and almost never crowded). Horseshoe Bay of course...Warwick Bay...you can't go wrong.

Have fun!

You made a great decision. Tobacco Bay is amazing for snorkeling, and if you keep going past it, right up the road, after you pass Fort Catherine, you'll hit Gates Bay, which is another great beach (and almost never crowded). Horseshoe Bay of course...Warwick Bay...you can't go wrong.

Have fun!

I have done extensive research on Bermuda since planning to go there and I almost feel like I know the place and have been there before. :D However, I know I will have tons of more questions (presented on the Bermuda board) before the time comes to sail off to the pink sand beaches.

I have all the ones you mentioned listed on my list except for Gates Bay. I have never even heard of this one. Tell me more about it please. :)

Gates Bay Beach (I've seen it referred to as St. Catherine's Beach too) is just a beach...it's very beautiful, pink sand and all, but it's not as well-known as the more famous beaches on the south shore. It's tucked away on the other side of the fort, past Tobacco Bay (which draws more beach-going folk).

I've only ever seen locals there. It used to be part of a resort that closed, or so I read. There aren't any bars or services, but if you're looking for a quiet, beautiful beach that you can have to yourselves, it would be a great option.

Gates Bay Beach (I've seen it referred to as St. Catherine's Beach too) is just a beach...it's very beautiful, pink sand and all, but it's not as well-known as the more famous beaches on the south shore. It's tucked away on the other side of the fort, past Tobacco Bay (which draws more beach-going folk).

I've only ever seen locals there. It used to be part of a resort that closed, or so I read. There aren't any bars or services, but if you're looking for a quiet, beautiful beach that you can have to yourselves, it would be a great option.

Thanks for the info. I didn't have either name on my "to-do" list. I'll definitely look into it. Does it have good snorkeling there since it's beside Tobacco Bay?

Hmmm...the better snorkeling is at Tobacco Bay, for sure...but the two are only about a 5-10 minute walk away from each other, so you could definitely hit up both at the same time if Gates' snorkeling isn't up to par. Tobacco Bay's is great.

Hmmm...the better snorkeling is at Tobacco Bay, for sure...but the two are only about a 5-10 minute walk away from each other, so you could definitely hit up both at the same time if Gates' snorkeling isn't up to par. Tobacco Bay's is great.

Awesome. Thanks for the info and I'll definitely be checking into it a little more. I did manage to look up some pictures online and I believe I have seen others take pictures here (but they were at the fort and on some excursion or something I think). I kept thinking when I was seeing their pictures...man I like that view and would rather be down at the beach looking up taking pictures of the fort. Now I know just how to do that. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Mitsugirly,

Just want to thank you for your recommendations! We were on RCL's Vision of the Seas doing the same itenerary as NCL's Sun. We went to Little French Key, tubed with Cavetubing.bz, and went to Chankanaab and Blue Kay. All were perfect suggestions for us. Thanks so much for your reviews!

Hi Kim, just a quick question - don't want to hijack the thread. I love your reviews and always look forward to them. We are thinking about booking the Spirit and of course I looked up your review which was great. I was wondering if you could post a link to your photos - the one in the review isn't available anymore.

Thanks!

Jai

Thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed the review in the middle of winter. :D

June is going to be Excellent!

Mitsugirly,

Just want to thank you for your recommendations! We were on RCL's Vision of the Seas doing the same itenerary as NCL's Sun. We went to Little French Key, tubed with Cavetubing.bz, and went to Chankanaab and Blue Kay. All were perfect suggestions for us. Thanks so much for your reviews!

How neat. I'm glad that they ended up perfect for you. I love when that happens. :p You are very welcome for the reviews. I love to help others.

Hi Kim, just a quick question - don't want to hijack the thread. I love your reviews and always look forward to them. We are thinking about booking the Spirit and of course I looked up your review which was great. I was wondering if you could post a link to your photos - the one in the review isn't available anymore.

Thanks!

Jai

Lucky you. I love the Spirit. She is so unique! I think she's probably my favorite small ship of the fleet so far.

HERE's a link to my pictures from that cruise. Mind you, I wasn't doing full blown reviews back then and honestly, I wasn't taking as many pictures either. There's a lot of them that are just family pictures around the ship because this was the first cruise that we took our little one with us and we were a little more focused on taking care of her and how she'd do.

How neat. I'm glad that they ended up perfect for you. I love when that happens. :p You are very welcome for the reviews. I love to help others.

Lucky you. I love the Spirit. She is so unique! I think she's probably my favorite small ship of the fleet so far.

HERE's a link to my pictures from that cruise. Mind you, I wasn't doing full blown reviews back then and honestly, I wasn't taking as many pictures either. There's a lot of them that are just family pictures around the ship because this was the first cruise that we took our little one with us and we were a little more focused on taking care of her and how she'd do.

Thank you so much! Ever since I read your review and Computerworks review it has been on my bucketlist. I booked last night for next February!