Question on diseases

InsureFun

We are going to some Central American countries, specifically Panama, Columbia and Costa Rica on our next cruise and was wondering about diseases. I tried to do some research on the web and I am most concerned about malaria and dengue fever...I never even thought of this when we booked it and now I am terrified. I am half glad and half sad someone brought this up but now I can't ignore it. Some of the diseases I am reading about I can avoid by just not eating or drinking anything on shore but I am a mosquito magnet. Can I bring/buy repellant on the ship? Has anyone had any ill effects visiting these countries? On the web there are anti malarial drugs but I also don't like taking meds unless I have to.

We are going to some Central American countries, specifically Panama, Columbia and Costa Rica on our next cruise and was wondering about diseases. I tried to do some research on the web and I am most concerned about malaria and dengue fever...I never even thought of this when we booked it and now I am terrified. I am half glad and half sad someone brought this up but now I can't ignore it. Some of the diseases I am reading about I can avoid by just not eating or drinking anything on shore but I am a mosquito magnet. Can I bring/buy repellant on the ship? Has anyone had any ill effects visiting these countries? On the web there are anti malarial drugs but I also don't like taking meds unless I have to.

Other than Tetanus , Hep A and Hep B I wouldn't worry about anything else.

Unless your planning on spending a week or more in the jungle your highly unlikely to caught anything.

Other than Tetanus , Hep A and Hep B I wouldn't worry about anything else.

Unless your planning on spending a week or more in the jungle your highly unlikely to caught anything.

100% agree. Been there many times and, as mentioned, unless you plan on spending a long time, in the jungle, you're exposure is almost non-existent.

Relax and enjoy!

When we went in November 2013 we had repellant with us but don't remember using it. Around Panama it was just too hot during the day for the mosquitoes. There is a link in my signature to the blog I did and it shows where we went. In Portobello it was wet and rainy but no issues with mosquitoes.

100% agree. Been there many times and, as mentioned, unless you plan on spending a long time, in the jungle, you're exposure is almost non-existent.

Relax and enjoy!

Agree! We've also been to these ports many times (ate & drank in them) and never had a problem ... but we never go into the jungle.

Please don't worry about it and enjoy your cruise! :)

LuLu