Boarding Times

LadyL1

Take no notice ! :) More often than not most guests have to rely on pubic transport and we all can not be tied down to the specific arrival times for check-in. No one is going to sit around in an arrivals hall when there is a space awaiting at a check-in desk.

I know a few former/retired colleagues who are now part time Carnival check-in agents . ( Southampton) They tell me all they want to do is to get everyone away as soon as possible.

If there is space (or no line) at a check-in desk use it ! ;)

Bell Boy

I have no worry about the check in time, and next month will be arriving at noon for my allocated time.

What I was trying to convey is that it appears that boarding for Britannia guests will not be on a first come first on basis. The new e-tickets have very prominent embarkation times, and this has been discussed on the active thread re the new ticketing/luggage labels.

So, if one has 3.00pm boarding, in the future it might be wise to watch how this pans out, as there will almost certainly be posting on this issue if passengers do not get checked-in instantly. It is almost the norm for hundreds to arrive early with great anticipation!

I still feel that if timed boarding is monitored, it will be a good thing. And yes, the staff at Southampton will want them all on the ship ASAP, but it just might be that the order is changing.

Monkey see, monkey do.... Princess has been trying to do this for well over a year.

Don't really see the point in it all. Never had any problem boarding on any line, have cruise Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Cunard and NCL in the past 10 years.

Always go around the same time, 11:30 am regardless of what the boarding pass may say.

Usually on board within 1 hour or less.

While recognizing this may be not be a favorable post, having once witnessed the unpleasant conditions when so many passengers decide to board at the earliest possible opportunity, my personal custom is to arrive much later than my appointed boarding time. I don't see the need to get tied up in the traffic on the way to the terminal, or stand in wait until boarding time. Have a nice lunch on shore and arrive well in advance of last boarding time. Nice and easy does it every time - as the saying goes:)

But if conditions change as a result of this new policy, and passengers do follow their boarding times, perhaps it will be in the best interest of all concerned? I am very interested in how this all plays out. -S.

I spoke to Cunard about this on Friday, whilst calling on another matter. The lady simply said if you come early they'll let you board no one will make you sit around. The allocated boarding time is just so every one doesn't come at once...

I mentioned but doesn't that mean everyone will still come early to get lunch so the time have no effect. She said that doesn't happen so much and they're more concerned about large amounts of people at the end of the day which could mean denied boarding as they have to sail at sailing time... I know that's not strictly true we've waited for stragglers at ports of call (30 mins max) but I guess they just don't want a rush and panic and any delays just before sailing

Edited by ukkid

I mentioned but doesn't that mean everyone will still come early to get lunch so . She said that doesn't happen so much and they're more concerned about large amounts of people at the end of the day which could mean denied boarding as they have to sail at sailing time... I know that's not strictly true we've waited for stragglers at ports of call (30 mins max) but I guess they just don't want a rush and panic and any delays just before sailing

No not realistic at all, people crowded in the terminal and when sailing time arrives the ship leaves them all behind. Really?

David.

No not realistic at all, people crowded in the terminal and when sailing time arrives the ship leaves them all behind. Really?

David.

exactly, I couldn't be bothered to argue, but I was wondering if she actually believed what she was saying.

Imagine the riot and wouldn't they have to delay anyway deciding which cases to now unload or not and then tracking them down.

Bell Boy

I have no worry about the check in time, and next month will be arriving at noon for my allocated time.

What I was trying to convey is that it appears that boarding for Britannia guests will not be on a first come first on basis. The new e-tickets have very prominent embarkation times, and this has been discussed on the active thread re the new ticketing/luggage labels.

So, if one has 3.00pm boarding, in the future it might be wise to watch how this pans out, as there will almost certainly be posting on this issue if passengers do not get checked-in instantly. It is almost the norm for hundreds to arrive early with great anticipation!

I still feel that if timed boarding is monitored, it will be a good thing. And yes, the staff at Southampton will want them all on the ship ASAP, but it just might be that the order is changing.

We have a 3pm check in time. We're going from Southampton on Friday. It's our first cruise so didn't think about it being a problem. Do you think we should get there early as the whole queuing situation doesn't sound great.

We have a 3pm check in time. We're going from Southampton on Friday. It's our first cruise so didn't think about it being a problem. Do you think we should get there early as the whole queuing situation doesn't sound great.

If you arrive at 3, you will be fine. There won't be long queues as most passengers will already be on board. If you want to arrive earlier, do so but there might be a queue. In my experience they move fairly quickly anyway. So don't worry and have fun.