Power Adapters ?

Yet boarding for first time on Voyager of the Sea's and wondering is there any decent power adapters i could use to charge 3 things my action camera, my tablet and also my iphone/backup battery case ?

Edited by falados99

Yet boarding for first time on Voyager of the Sea's and wondering is there any decent power adapters i could use to charge 3 things my action camera, my tablet and also my iphone/backup battery case ?

Hi,

If they are USB you could get something like this:

https://www.korjo.com/Product-Range/Adaptors-%281%29/USB-x4-Power-Hub-%28USB04%29.aspx

I have this one (bought it at Strandbags) & it work great comes with 4 different international plugs so its great for traveling. One of them is the AU one so it can be used in Australia too (I use mine all the time - even when at home).

There is also a similar product available from Kogan:

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/4-port-usb-rapid-travel-charger/ but I have not tried this one.

Voyager has both US & EURO power sockets in the cabins so if you want you could just get an adapter which is suitable for these outlets & plug in your normal chargers but this will only allow you to charge 1 at a time unless you get more than 1 adapter.

Cheers

Dashman

We have taken a powerboard on our past 2 cruises. Is it a new thing that RCI will confiscate them?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nope,not new. Mine got confiscated last Christmas but we survived. We used adapters for both the Euro and US plugs so teens had one powerpoint each to charge up their gear.

Edited by aussielozzie18

it depends on the security whether they take power boards or not - also whether you have them in your carry on or checked luggage. last year all powerboards in hand luggage got confiscated. ultimately you can try but be prepared to lose it.

if you stick with a smaller arrangement or the USB charges with a US adapter plug you will probably be safer.

it depends on the security whether they take power boards or not - also whether you have them in your carry on or checked luggage. last year all powerboards in hand luggage got confiscated. ultimately you can try but be prepared to lose it.

if you stick with a smaller arrangement or the USB charges with a US adapter plug you will probably be safer.

My powerboard was in my suitcase and it got confiscated. As a result, I didnt get my luggage until after dinner. Family members got their luggage soon after boarding. So, not worth the risk, imo.

We are on voyager now and they didn't confiscate my powerboats.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When I boarded Rhapsody in November the men collecting bags at OPT asked if we had Powerboards in our bags. I was able to tell them that I didn't as I understand the risk to all on board with using powerboards etc. and I am quite happy with using a travel adapter with usb points to charge things for the four people in our cabin. I did have to go to the security desk when we docked back in Sydney though to pick up a Wooden Fijian decorative weapon and the amount of powerboards, irons, clothes steamers and even skateboards waiting to be collected was amazing! I just don't get why people keep insisting on sneaking powerboards on to ships when they know they shouldn't do it.....just because you get away with it does not make it right.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, we are cruising with Carnival next month and note that unlike Princess they restrict powerboards to ones without surge protectors.

That wouldn't be such an issue but after an awful lot of searching it appears to be impossible to buy a powerboard in Australia that is not surge protected.

Is anyone able to direct to me to a retailer (bricks or online) where I can get a 4 point powerboard from that isn't surge protected?

Alternatively if someone could confirm that the ship (Carnival Legend) has plenty of them to hand out?

Hi all, we are cruising with Carnival next month and note that unlike Princess they restrict powerboards to ones without surge protectors.

That wouldn't be such an issue but after an awful lot of searching it appears to be impossible to buy a powerboard in Australia that is not surge protected.

Is anyone able to direct to me to a retailer (bricks or online) where I can get a 4 point powerboard from that isn't surge protected?

Alternatively if someone could confirm that the ship (Carnival Legend) has plenty of them to hand out?

I have used this one on various ships since sometime in 2010 or 11. No mention of surge protector on its specs. They also make a 4 point one.

http://www.ji.com.au/products/PT2USB/

I found this one, which has 4 sockets:

http://www.target.com.au/p/jackson-4-outlet-powerboard-pt2828s/42832362

In store, or online.

Legend won't hand out, or sell powerboards.

I found this one, which has 4 sockets:

http://www.target.com.au/p/jackson-4-outlet-powerboard-pt2828s/42832362

In store, or online.

Legend won't hand out, or sell powerboards.

My understanding is that overload protection is the same thing so would rule this one out?

Bummer that they stipulate something that can't be simply bought and then don't lend them out..

My understanding is that overload protection is the same thing so would rule this one out?

Bummer that they stipulate something that can't be simply bought and then don't lend them out..

No, overload protection is very different.

Surge protection is where they put an extra resistor on to massively absorb extra spikes coming into the device e.g. 400 joules+.

Overload protection is much older and is just the old switch they have that detects current, and trips (stops the circuit) when the amperage is exceeded. You then press the switch and circuit is back again.

Whereas with surge protection, the resistor absorbs that and then blows, and you will no longer have any surge protection.

No, overload protection is very different.

Surge protection is where they put an extra resistor on to massively absorb extra spikes coming into the device e.g. 400 joules+.

Overload protection is much older and is just the old switch they have that detects current, and trips (stops the circuit) when the amperage is exceeded. You then press the switch and circuit is back again.

Whereas with surge protection, the resistor absorbs that and then blows, and you will no longer have any surge protection.

Thank you very much, this makes life much! easier :)