Haiti unrest re: Labadee

ATLfuzzy

Just a side note.

When we sailed the Allure in July of 2013, there was an overnight problem before we docked at Labadee.

It seems some of the islanders broke into the secure private area where all the tourist activities occur and took lumbar and cable from the dragons coaster. This occured at night and the damage was evident in the morning and all the (culprits) where long gone.

The only impact it had was.

1. Heightened security to prevent locals from the other side of the fence from entering............

2. Dragons coaster closed till parts could be shipped in.

So, even though it is a "secure" area it is still susceptible to trespassing at night anyway.

I do agree, if RCI thought there would be any threat to passengers they would not dock here.

We have been to Labadee 5 times and love the stop.

Looking forward to this summer going back.

Sea Ya

Many, many years ago, we approached Labadee and the Captain noticed armed men in camouflaged uniforms on the pier as we approached. This was before the pier was built and everyone had to tender onto the island. When it was confirmed that they were militant soldiers, the captain just kept on sailing, no stopping at Labadee that trip. Many passengers were really upset that we missed Labadee but, as far as I was concerned, it was a great decision. As I said, this happened many years ago. I think the RCCI area is much more secured now.

Many, many years ago, we approached Labadee and the Captain noticed armed men in camouflaged uniforms on the pier as we approached. This was before the pier was built and everyone had to tender onto the island. When it was confirmed that they were militant soldiers, the captain just kept on sailing, no stopping at Labadee that trip. Many passengers were really upset that we missed Labadee but, as far as I was concerned, it was a great decision. As I said, this happened many years ago. I think the RCCI area is much more secured now.

Do you remember which ship you sailed on?

I remember much more security when we sailed the Mariner of the Seas out of Port Canavral.(sp)

But, we do feel safe when we go there.

Sea Ya

• 4 weeks later...

On our very first cruise years ago we missed Labadee because of political unrest in Haiti. We did not get a substitute port of call, but received a small refund...not much. We were on Mariner of the Seas sailing out of Port Canaveral.

I was so disappointed to miss Labadee because my sister had been there and just loved it, so I very much wanted to see it too.